What's new

Parasound amp and small speakers? (1 Viewer)

Charbel

Agent
I am thinking of adding a Parasound HCA 1500 to my Onkyo 787 AV receiver. I have Paradigm Studio 40 mains. If I only use the 2 channel amp would that not sound right for a surround system? I`m hesitant on buying the 5 channel amp from Parasound because I`m afraid they would be "too much" power for my little round in-ceiling surround speakers. Any thoughts, comments?
Studio 40 mains
Studio CC
Servo 15 sub
Onkyo 787 AV receiver (100wpc)
SA-10R in-ceiling surrounds (15-150w suitable amplifier power rating)

One of the HTF Administrators - Steven Simon is using Paradigm Reference 40's with a Parasound amp. It would be worth while to look forward to his input!

RicP

Screenwriter
I'm also using the Parasound HCA-1500A with Studio 40 mains.
Fantastic combo, lots of extra headroom and a fantastic warm feel due to the MOSFET/JFET drivers in the Parasound. I love the combo and highly recommend the two together.
Of course I'm using a Pioneer Elite 29TX to power the 2 rear channels ( I do not use a center speaker) and the Pioneer has a MOSFET output stage as well, so the sound is fairly equal across all 4 speakers.
:)
------------------
Ric Perrott
My Theater ;My DVD's
"RicP's posts are SUPERBLY ERUDITE!" - David Manning, Ridgefield Press
[Edited last by RicP on July 13, 2001 at 10:44 AM]

John Williams

Auditioning
I use a Parasound 1200-II (300w x 2, the model right before the 1500) for my mains (which are big) and a 1203 (200w x 3) for my center-surround speakers, which aren't that big.
I think the general consensus around here has been you can never have too much power in an amp!
Or, more specifically, under-powered amps that might clip or run out of juice can cause much more damage to speakers than "over-powered" ones.
I'd think as long as you keep the volume reasonable, you should be fine.
-John

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with John Williams, as long as your realistic with setting your sound levels.
I currently have 165watts/ch outlaw amp powering a pair of Energy Take 5s for my surround speakers.

JohanK

Second Unit
Ric, FYI, John Curl designed Parasound amps use JFET input stage, MOSFET driver stage and Bipolar output stage.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Parasound amps match the Paradigm Reference Line like a glove!!!
I use the HCA-1000 (125W) per channel with my Studio 40's..
I have plenty of headroom as far as power... IMHO the amp RicP runs (HCA 1500) is slightly overkill for the Studio 40's
wink.gif

I also run the Parasound HCA 1201 MonoBlocks with my Studio 100's and CC... At 150 Watts per channel, the sound output (Soundstage) is large and high quality....
P.S. Will you be listening to any High Rez audio formats such as SACD, or DVD Audio??
Parasound will bring out the best in these formats....
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 6-11-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Charbel

Agent
"P.S. Will you be listening to any High Rez audio formats such as SACD, or DVD Audio??"
"Parasound will bring out the best in these formats...."
I hope to have these in the future, but for now I`m sure I can still benefit from the Parasound amp. I`m definately sold on the Parasound. It`s great to not have to decide anymore. But there is the 2 channel 3 ch. or 5ch. ? Which one? I did`nt know Paras. even made a 3 channel (it`s not on thier website) I would`nt mind the 3ch. and my receiver (100wpc) for the rears. but my surrounds are already going to be "less quality" than the mains, so they need all the help they can get. btw thanks for all the replies.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
If your thinking of going the 3 Channel route, 3 Monoblocks from Audioadvisor.com would do you right.....
HCA 1201 is the model number...
Good Luck,
Steve

JohanK

Second Unit
If you want a 3 channel Parasound, you can choose from the HCA1203 and the HCA2003. They are both discontinued so you will have to hunt for a new one or buy used. A used 1203 is 140 WPC @ 8 ohms and would be the one I'd recommend if your budget is under $500. I have the 2003A and like it very much.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Charbel

Agent
OK, now I`m thinking of just jumping on the 5 channel amp which is 140wpc. Is that enough of a difference from the Onkyo TXDS 787 (100wpc) or do I have to go to the bigger amp? ........back to square one.
Steve Simon if I may quote you "IMHO the amp RicP runs (HCA 1500) is slightly overkill for the Studio 40's" ESPECIALLY for the surrounds I have which are`nt up to par with the 40`s. Then I SHOULD be fine with the 140 wpc X 5. Will I notice the difference?

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I ran my Studio 100's and CC with a 2205at and a 2003 and the fit was fantastic.These 2 sound like they were made to go together.I still have the ADP's for a few more weeks and drive them with 2 channels from the 2205 and they sound great. Lots of headroom and never a worry about clipping.I think the mono's would be a enough with the 40's but if you can find a 2003a it is a great 3 channel amp.Parasound amps are the only thing I have not upgraded the last few years.I tried the Citation 7.1 and it sounded nice but the Parasound had more slam in the bass and a lttle more air in the highs.It really took control of the 100's.Good Luck, you can't go wrong with Parasound amps.
------------------

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Charbel,
I achieve reference levels with both of my theater setups with no problem.... The sound at these levels is more than spectacular... Warm, airy, and a rather large soundstage..
After 140-150 Watts, your gaining headroom. Hence you may crank that volume up even further past reference levels without clipping or distortion..... If you start playing your music or dvd's past reference levels, your ears will start to bleed...
laugh.gif

I have never clipped my 125W Parasound, and I have never even come close to clipping my MonoBlocks (150W)...
If you had the Studio 100's or even the 60's, I would recommend going with 150W or more....
The Studio 40's will shine at 125-150 watts of power...
Also, the Studio 40's are rated to a maximum of 180 Watts per channel......
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 6-11-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks