Parasound 2205at too much power for B&W speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DarL, May 4, 2004.

1. DarL

DarL Agent

Hi,
    I recently bought a HCA-2205AT and I have a few question that my manual does not answer my questions.
    I currently have two front (b&w dm604 s3)speakers that could handle 200 Watts in 8ohms and one center speaker (LCR600) that could handle 150 watts in 8ohms and two rear speaker(DM602 s3) that could handle 120 watts in 8ohms. Since the HCA-2205AT is rated at 225 watts/channelx5 do I have to turn the gain down? I want THX quality, so by turning all the gains to the max would I damage the speakers? Would the HCA-2205AT adjusts it watts on THX level to my speakers max handling power? Does the HCA-2205AT automatically produce 225 watts at max gain or does it depend on the volume I tune up on my Denon AVR3803 receiver?
    Thanks

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

3. DarL

DarL Agent

"you should never have to turn your setup to anywhere close to max."
    Mike- do you mean that it's not recommended to turn the individual channel levels on my denon receiver to its' max? I currently have it on 9db+ on most of my speakers, and I believe that the channel levels max is at 12db+.

4. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Before doing anything else go get an SPL meter and calibration disk. THX quality does not hinge on turning everything up as loud as possible. I think what you're looking for is reference level, maybe a little higher. You should be able to do this well before getting your gain all the way up and your speakers set a +9db

6. DarL

DarL Agent

I have DVE and an analog RS soundmeter. I am quite new to HT, does reference level mean to turning my Denon receiver to 0db? Should I use the receiver's test tone or the DVE's test tone?

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Set your receiver to 0db then calibrate to the reference levels. (Do a search on the forum for more information on calibrating). You will likely have to slightly adjust the individual speaker volumes, but probably not too much.

8. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

0db isn't reference level is it?

DVE or Aviva use either 75 db or 85 db as reference. The number on the reciever dial really has no bearing on "reference" level. I need to turn my Rotel to 70 (out of 90) to get 85 DB reference level (at least that is what I remember).

Start with all speakers should be set at 0.

Run the test tone or set up DVD on the left front speaker (you use the right if you want most of use go left to right
    [​IMG] ). Turn the volume on the reciever up until you hit 75 or 85 db depending on disk (or use your own "reference level if you like such as this is how loud I listen 85 db is often too loud for people).

Then us the settings for center left right surround etc to make them all match 75 or 85 db (or whetever).

I think what was meant by

is that the knobs on the back of the ampo should be set at max as per THX spec. You would NOT need to turn the dial on your processor or reciever up anywhere near max becuse you have so much power that your speakers will asily supplu ear bleed volume at lower than max.

I don't know if you can ever have too much power. You'd have to want to make yourself DEAF to ever cause 200 plus wats to be continuously be fed to your lcr600. Most of the time the amp is only sending out 10, 20 30 wpc . its only large peaks that require bif power.

Personally I'd have no fear at all of sending too much power to the speakers.