Parasound 2205AT + Monster HTS 1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David S, Oct 22, 2001.

1. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Im closing in on taking the plunge to purchasing this AMP and looking for any input:
    1) Will my Monster HTS 1000 surge protector be able to handle this AMP. I live in a newer (6 year old) home, and assume I have the standard electrical "stuff", 15 volt, etc?? Anyone else use this AMP/Monster combo with good results. Basically, can I just purchase AMP and plug it in?
    2) Heat Factor? I have an enclosed rack (sides + back), front is open. Size of AMP most likley puts it in bottom shelf of rack. Fit will be tight. 2+ extra inches per side, 2+ extra inches in rear, and 6 to 8 or 9 extra inches on top. Any thoughts on if heat will be a problem?
    Any input will be much appreciated. Im excited as hell to purchase. Great pricing available on this AMP. This will be my first major upgrade, coming from a Denon AVR 3200 I bought in late 98. Anxiously awaiting results on Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro for possible 2nd major upgrade.

2. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

David,
    I've had this amp for several months now and am still amazed at the sound of it.
    I'm not sure what the specs are on the HTS 1000 but the 2205's manual states power requirements as:
    110-120Vac, 2200 watts.
    If you plan on plugging in several components, I would suggest looking at the HTS 5000 or the 3500 at least.
    The 2205 dimensions are:
    19" wide by 7 5/8" high by 21 1/2" deep(with handles)
    It does get warm when driven so I hope you have a big rack.
    This amp is a monster and weighs almost 100 lbs. but space and power concerns aside, you will not be disappointed by it's performance.
    Good luck,
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

3. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Rin-
    I was already planning on replacing the Monster (Ill move the Monster and the Denon to Bedroom duties). I bought the AMP and pick it up Tuesday. After listening to it at dealer over weekend + what I think was an great price on a new AMP, I could not resist. The wife is going to freak, but::>>.
    I do have a concern, possibly a problem with the depth of the AMP. Do you know if you can remove the back handles, and if so what is the depth without them. One critisim of Parasounds listing of the dimensions - they say its 19.5 inches deep (obviously w/out the handles). Ive only got abought 22 inches of depth, hence I may encounter problems with speaker cables and Interconnects. Worse case, Ill be doing a remodel and getting a freestanding stand (which is what Ive wanted to do for awhile. Wall units can suck when the need to "play" in back of components often arises.

4. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

That's correct David,,The depth is 19 1/2" without the handles.
    The handles can be removed however I am not sure how it would look cosmetically with out them since you would have some visible holes.
    A free standing rack is ideal for this monster amp.
    It does get pretty hot, so the open air space is much better for it due to the amount of heat generated.
    ------------------
    Trevor..
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!