1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Parasound 2205AT and SVS subs....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Earl J, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to determine whether or not I need to buy the samson700 amp with the svs sub or if my current Parasound amp would suffice.
    I have the parasound powering my 3 front M&K 750thx speakers. I plan on using a denon 3802 to power the rear M&K 550thx speakers because I think the denon can power these 8-ohm surrounds just fine. Can I use one of the two remaining channels on the 2205AT to power the svs 20-39cs sub? Is this a good combo?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    EJ

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Earl,
    Do NOT buy the Samson, you have all the amp you need! Do you have the specs on it BTW? If it's good for 100 watts or more into 8 Ohms you should be ready to rock. Just feed a spare channel of the amp from your receiver's subwoofer output, calibrate using the subwoofer level control on the receiver and you are there.
    Having old amps, or spare channels around is exactly the reason we build the CS line! Sure, we don't mind selling Samson amps to power them up but in your case I don't think there's really a need. I'd get a second SVS if you needed more impact, even before another amp.
    Ron

3. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the quick feedback ron. The parasound is 220watts rms x 5 at 8 ohms and 300 watts rms x 5 into 4 ohms.
    Expect my order by this weekend!!! [​IMG]
    Earl

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Wow, that's one hell of an amp.
    Forget you heard about the Samson line at all (they're great but you are loaded with power!).
    Just figure out how big a room you have and how big an appetite you have for deep bass (and how big your budget is while you are at it) and the rest is just a couple of cables away.
    Ron

5. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Earl I had 1 channel left on my 2205at and decided to add a SVS 20-39cs to compliment my Servo 15a. It is all the amp you will need.
    ------------------

6. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

thanks again guys. Ron, my room is only 15 x 15. I guess the only question left is whether to get the 20-39cs or the 16-46cs. Their is very little difference in price between the two if I'll be using my own amp. Will I notice a big difference in my room?
    Earl

7. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

oops...double post..
    [Edited last by Earl J on September 05, 2001 at 03:55 PM]

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Earl, I think you'd like either of the SV options you're considering. The choice will be determined by the trade-off you're most comfortable with. The 16-46cs will extend lower...probably down to the 12-15hz range in your room...so it's going to give you a serious "skin crawling" effect on the REAL low bass in some DVDs [​IMG] The 20-39cs will extend to perhaps 17-19hz in your room(nothing to sneeze at!) and it will offer a couple dBs more maximum output capability in the more common bass range(22-33hz).
    If you enjoy the occasional pipe organ music selection...I'd go with the 16-46 for sure.
    Let me know if there's anything else I could answer to help you base you decision on.
    TV

9. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice tom. I'm not much into the pipe organ stuff. I'll be using this sub for home theater 75% of the time and music 25% of the time. Musical tastes range from modern rock to R&B. From what you're telling me, it sounds like the 20-39 would be the better choice. Am I right?

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>Thanks for the advice tom. I'm not much into the pipe organ stuff. I'll be using this sub for home theater 75% of the time and music 25% of the time. Musical tastes range from modern rock to R&B. From what you're telling me, it sounds like the 20-39 would be the better choice. Am I right?

11. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Earl,,If you have two channels free on the 2205, then go with two SVS's.
    You can't go wrong with that.
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated new pictures
    due to recent upgrades!
    **Equipment list current

12. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Trevor, two subs in a 15x15 room? I think I'll wait to see how one 20-39cs works out first. Since I'm moving into a new house, I don't think I want to piss off my new neighbors right away. Then again, us californians should be used to the ground moving and shaking, right? [​IMG]