What's new

Parasound 2205AT, 1205A, or 1500A for Paradigm Reference (1 Viewer)

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I currently have a Denon 3801 with Paradigm Reference studio 40's (front), 20's (side surround), 20's (back surround) and CC (center)..all version 2. All are run as "small" with anything under 80Hz going to an ACI Titan II LE sub. However I might occassionally run the 40's full range.

I'm not 100% happy with 2 channel music...HT is ok. I am looking at the following options:

- 2 channel Parasound 1500A (205wpc) to power fronts, Denon powers everything else.

- 5 channel Parasound 2205AT (205wpc) to power everything but rear surround

- 5 channel Parasound 1205A (140wpc) to power everything but rear surround.

First....if I had the studio 100's I could see needing 205wpc but with the 40's would I really see much difference between 205wpc and 140wpc? Today i'm in a fairly small room.

Also, if I just get a 2 channel amp would this adversely affect how the mains sound relative to the other channels? A concern for multichannel music.

And I need to be honest...the 2205AT is currently out of my price range but I didn't want to leave it from this discussion.

Thanks!

Ed

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Edward, no doubt I would go with the 2205AT. It is the better of the 3, and certainly the most powerful. Plus, you can get it at a great price. Right now it retails for $1995.

Darren_Falco

Auditioning
Edward,

I have a similar setup and went with an Anthem MCA 5 Series II amp. So far I am very impressed with its' performance with the Paradigm's. I think I paid about $1300 for mine.

When I auditioned the Studio 40's/Studio CC/Studio APD the salesperson originally had them running through an Anthem PVA7 and they sounded great. I'm not sure of the cost, but it is a 7 channel amp running 105W to each channel. The wattage sounded low to me until I heard it. It sounded very clean during the brief moment I listened to it. Check it out if you have the time.

Regards

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
The 2205 is actuall 220 watts X 5 and a great match with the Paradigm Reference speakers.

The high current will make a large difference for you in this set-up..Two channel will sound great as well as image,depth and sonics will all be dramaically improved.

You could also Bi-amp if you wanted to.

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
So it sounds like the 2205AT will be a big improvement over the 1205A.

However, as mentioned earlier, the 2205at is abit much for me right now. Especially since I will need to buy 5 preamp cables in addition to the amp.

Would it be a big mistake to buy a 1500 2 channel unit then if I feel the need, buy another 5 channel amp at a later date? This would position me for a 7 channel pre/pro in the future.

Ed

David S

Stunt Coordinator
Edward - In October the 2205 "was"/is out of my budget as well, whats in my rack now - the 2205:) Like most of my purchases, I use the "flexible budget" method of accounting, that way I'm always happy. You did not say what your budget was, but in Los Angeles the 2205 can be had for $1600 or so. Ironically, Good Guys (a chain out here) lowered the price to $1,699 (maybe less now), and their one of those no payments for 12 months deals. Maybe that could work for you. If that number is close, you would be pleased if you considered it. Yes, I agree the added price on the cables is a factor, however, you could always buy two (for mains) now, leave the other three open till later. Im using front three with Denon AVR 3200 handling surrounds till the 950 arrives. Good luck!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I just picked up the HCA 1500 for my Studio 100's. I didn't go for the 5 Channel because I had 4 Extra Parasound HCA 1201 MonoBlocks and will be a have one more by weeks end. I will use the 5 Blocks to power my Studio CC and 4 Surround speakers.....
The Outlaw 950 Preamp will follow.....
I was powering my 100's with the Blocks beforeow here a noticable difference with the higher powered HCA 1500. Soundsatge sounds wider, and speakers sound warmer. I would suppose it has something to so with the Mosfet ouput drivers in the heavier amp.....
I have the Studio 40's and think 150 Watts of Parasound amp is more than enough for them.
RicP might try and convince you otherwise ;)

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
You can by the 2205 used now a days for 1200.00 and superaudiovideo.com has them on sale for 1599.00

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks