What's new

Parasound 1205...upgrade? (1 Viewer)

VinceB

Auditioning
I currently have the Parasound 855a paired with a HK320 and running RT1000is, CS400i, and Bose 301s for surround. Would moving up to the 1205 be a sound upgrade, or is the diference small. Has anyone compared the two?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Vince,

I have the H/K 310, 510 and the 855A. Currently the amp is connected to the 510 for more in-depth testing. I can tell you that the jump from 510 alone to 510/855A is quite large; I'm sure you found something similar with the 320. Since both the 510 and the 855A are conservatively rated in the same watts neighborhood and the resultant change for me was significant, I think you can easily expect something similar yet again moving to the 1205A.

VinceB

Auditioning
Thanks Paul,
When i added the 855A, there was a big difference and now i want more, so i think i will look into getting the 1205A. On a separate note, i put some vibrapods under my DVD player, i use it for music and movies, and the bass/sonic response went up noticeably. Not like hooking up an amp but noticeable. I was very suprised. Not a bad tweak for $26.00

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
I could't see the point - I would doubt there is that much difference between the 855 and the flagship 2205.

Sounds like a waste of money unless you could ditch the 855 quickly.

T.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I agree with Tony but will add that it will also depend on the sensitvity of your speakers and how loud you like to listen plus size of room ?
I currently have the 855 for back four speakers and a 2205 for the front three. My speakers are 86db efficient and I CAN tell a big difference between these two amps in my situation in a fairly lage room. I listen at extreme volumes as well:D

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I could't see the point - I would doubt there is that much difference between the 855 and the flagship 2205.
Anyone who would say such a thing has obviously never heard the difference between the 855 and the 2205. I have already found a 4-5dB gain just moving to the 510/855. This doesn't begin to touch on the other gains in soundstage, dynamics, clarity, headroom extension,etc. While the 855 is a great amp and the current Ubid closeout is a steal of a deal...there is a consistent improvement as you move up in class through each 5 channel Parasound model which can be heard. I certainly have had no problem verifying this for myself.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, I have a Parasound in the $2,000 range - I'm not going to compare a receiver to a Parasound as that is just silly.

However I have heard lots of Parasound amps and they are all reasonably similiar given the majority of cone speakers.

No-one is saying that the 2205 isn't categorically better than the 855 but unless your speakers are terribly inefficent, the Parasound family sounds largely the same - why wouldn't they? They share so much DNA as it were.

I would say the same thing for Rotel or even receiver - it doesn't make sense to me when people who have a Onkyo 676 upgrade to a 898? You're getting more of the same.

If one would want a large and definite upgrade I would go for something like Bryston or a 3/2 channel combo (and that is from someone who owns a Parasound!).

T.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Tony,

I 'reckon' your point of view now. But I still respectfully have to disagree. I think you're setting the bar too high.

You are fortunate to have the Parasound amp you mentioned but those on the lower end have to start somewhere. If we were to turn your own logic around on itself there would seem to be no need for a Model 1205 or 2205, etc. One should simply enter at the bottom with quality (855) and wait until circumstances allow a move to truly high-end kit.
I think that would leave a lot of frustrated Music/HT lovers out there looking for improvement, no matter the margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks