What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
1_NMTmUFOlMT-2b2cCNZmzSA-1024x429.jpeg

The Park and Kim families are a study in contrasts, living in modern day South Korea. The Kims live at the bottom of society, barely scraping by on stolen food, stolen wifi, and huddled in the smallest possible semi-basement, with only half their small living space above ground. The Kims have it all: A huge house designed by a famous architect. Fresh and plentiful food. Tutors for their kids. Glorious trees, verdant grass, and open spaces.
The Kims begin worming their way in to the Park’s lives. First their son is hired as a replacement tutor, and he recommends his mother as a replacement house keeper, his father as a driver, and sister as an art therapist. The Parks, for all their money, are both naive and dismissive of the qualities of their lower class support team, leading them to trust the Kims at their words and barely recognizing that their new servants could know...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’m probably in the minority. I saw this film in 4k and Atmos, with the filmmaker and lead actor.

And while I found portions amusing - I was thinking Sturges - I ended up disliking the film immensely.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It’s not an easy film to “like”- Parasite is the correct name for what takes place- despicable opportunists with no moral compass. I thought it was a clever film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It’s not an easy film to “like”- Parasite is the correct name for what takes place- despicable opportunists with no moral compass. I thought it was a clever film.
My dislike was not the darkness the set over the tale, but rather the connective device between the first two acts, which seemed an inopportune use of the Marx Bros. Stateroom episode, after an unnecessary event.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don’t believe we are supposed to like any of the characters but we are supposed to at least sympathize or empathize with them. We all have our faults and sometimes it takes outside forces to shake their effects to the surface.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Are the extras in English or Korean? The description at Criterion doesn’t say. In fact it doesn’t even mention subtitles but I assume they are available. I do wish Criterion would start adding subbed sound tracks to its foreign language films

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I waited patiently for the 4K disc and bought it, relishing in the fact that my patience helped me avoid a BD purchase which came several weeks earlier.

But reading those extras, looks like Criterion may succeed in getting me to double dip on this title on blu ray after all...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Are the extras in English or Korean? The description at Criterion doesn’t say. In fact it doesn’t even mention subtitles but I assume they are available. I do wish Criterion would start adding subbed sound tracks to its foreign language films

Mixed but mostly Korean! One is in French!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I waited patiently for the 4K disc and bought it, relishing in the fact that my patience helped me avoid a BD purchase which came several weeks earlier.

But reading those extras, looks like Criterion may succeed in getting me to double dip on this title on blu ray after all...
I picked up the 4K during a Best Buy Black Friday sale for $10.00 and the Criterion from Barnes & Noble. I would argue not to waste your time with the Universal blu-ray - that's included with the 4K - and get the Criterion for the supplements (and alternate monochrome version if you feel it necessary) and use the 4K for future viewings.

I think an appreciation of Korean cinema may be important to the enjoyment of Parasite - but Bong Jun-Ho considers Hitchcock among inspirations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks