Parappa the Rapper 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonK, Feb 2, 2002.

1. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Hey gang,

After finally getting done with FFX, I needed a nice, fun, laid-back game to play. As a huge fan of the first game, I figured Parappa 2 would fit the bill.

It has, but I'd still call the game a minor letdown. There are only 8 levels, no hidden characters (just some different colored Parappa hats) and the game can be finished in one sitting. The first one only had 6 levels, but rumor has it you could unlock some hidden ninja dude (which I never did.) If anyone has done this and can verify he's in the game, let me know how to do it!

The graphics are similar to the first game, in that they are 2-D cartoons, but it doesn't really push the PS2's power. Still, they fit the game and I was pleased with the look of the game.

Gameplay is just like the first, watch a rap, then push the proper buttons at the right time, or "freestyle" and try to get a 'cool' rating.

I have a gripe with the sound though. Sony has decided to not allow playing this game with a digital audio cable. I tried, and the game went mute. Switching my reciever to analog turned the sound on. Rumor has it, Sony was worried people would rip a soundtrack w/the digital cable, so they decided to not let people use it.

That's ridiculous. There could at least be a label on the box stating that it's analog only. Granted, the game isn't in 5.1, but the analog cables don't sound as good as the digital cable. And in a game like this where music is most important, that's a big blunder on Sony's part.

Finally, the songs themselves aren't as catchy as the original's. I can still hum "Kick, Punch, it's all in the mind.." and the bathroom level, too "In the rain or in the snow, I got the funky flow..."

Parappa 2 has some great levels, particularily the first with the Burger Shop owner, Chop Chop Master Onion's love lesson, and Octopus hair-cutter are all fun characters. I just don't think I'll be memorizing the tunes anytime soon. (Perhaps that's a good thing.)

So fans of the first, check it out. Most people will probably want to rent first, though.

-Jason

2. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

No optical out?!?! That’s insane. I think I’ll skip this one.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hah! You think the developers are afraid someone would pirate the music digitally? I won't be buying this either.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I really enjoyed Um Jammer Lammy and PaRappa, but if PaRappa 2 isn't as good as either, then I'll skip it.

5. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

You really liked Um Jammer Lammy Morgan? Other than the Fire Truck song and maybe the cryinbg baby one, I think the music was quite awfull! The chainsaw song had no beat at all and was almost impossible to follow! The fact that PaRappa 2 in analong only is a real concern to me since I recently replaced my cables with an optical connection and got rid of my old analog one. Maybe if I can borrow one from someone, I'll rent it. [​IMG]

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Can I just be controversial and say that the only thing to stand up to the original Parappa The Rapper in the Bemani genre that I've played is the vastly underrated Vib Ribbon?

Vibri's 'use your own cds' trick means infinite levels, and its staggeringly difficult with the Big Bad Voodoo Daddies!

All this is only because I don't count Rez as Bemani though - that really is the bee's knees, dog's cogs etc.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The only song I really remember from UJL is the fire song. I actually every once in a while will sing it in my head because I love it so much. Overall, not as good as PaRappa 1, but still pretty good.