Paramount's preservation work of the Republic Library...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

http://www.paramount.com/filmpreserv...ojectsrep.html (Click on underlined titles for a pop-up page with more technical info)

Since the summer of 2000, the following nitrate-era films in the Republic library have been preserved on modern film stock by Paramount:

Bells of St Mary's (1945)

Body And Soul (1947)

Wake of the Red Witch (1948)
    War of the Wildcats (1943)

Winds of the Wasteland (1937)
    Wyoming Outlaw (1939)

A great resource, don't you think? Great news about High Noon and It's a Wonderful Life. Let's hope that we see new DVDs very soon. One wonders why Invasion of the Body Snatchers is not on that list though.

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

More information on sound restoration performed by Audio Mechanics is available at: www.audiomechanics.com/www/credits.html

Paramount

High Noon
    I Love Lucy
    It's a Wonderful Life
    The Red Pony

The Quiet Man - This is interesting: no film restoration for this masterpiece, but audio restoration has taken place; this perhaps confirms the rumour that the O-neg is actually in great shape, regardless of the crummy VHS/DVD transfers out there.

Rio Grande

U.C.L.A. Film Restoration

The Barefoot Contessa
    Cheers for Miss Bishop
    Chicano Love is Forever
    Cyrano DeBergerac
    Daughter of the Dragon
    Don Quixote (which version?)
    Dressed to Kill
    The Times of Harvey Milk
    The Enforcer
    Feet First
    Four Freightened People
    The Great Ruppert
    The House I Live In
    How Green Was My Valley
    Joan of Arc
    Killer of Sheep
    Lost Horizon
    Louisianna Story
    Major and the Minor
    Paths of Glory
    Prisoner of Zenda
    Pursuit to Algiers
    The Return of Dr. Fu Manchu
    Seven Men From Now
    Sherlock Holmes in Washington
    Sherlock Holmes Faces Death
    Sherlock Holmes: House of Fear
    Sherlock Holmes: The Voice of Terror
    The Sin of Nora Moran
    Solovky Power
    Sweethearts and Wives
    When a Man Loves
    The Power and the Glory

Twentieth Century Fox

All About Eve
    Carousel
    Cavalcade
    Drums Along the Mohawk
    House of Bamboo
    How Green Was My Valley
    Let's Make Love
    M.A.S.H.
    The King and I
    The Power and the Glory

3. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Johnny Guitar isn't on the list either and that is in serious need of restoration.

4. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

One also wonders where the Republic Westerns (Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Three Mesquiteers) and serials (THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL, DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE, KING OF THE ROCKET MEN, SPY SMASHER) fall in the grand scheme of things.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Indeed it is, Thomas.

It's one of personal favourites. It just burns on the screen! Crazy film.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it again very soon, Paramount. [​IMG]

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Good question Gravy. Some of the titles in the original post are Roy Rogers titles (Out California Way, North of the Great Divide et al). Roy's catalog is apparently a mess with many films apparently existing only in cut TV versions. Supposedly at least one of his Tru-Color Republic films only exists in B&W.

The Encore Westerns Channel has funded a number of restorations of the Gene Autry catalog (including his TV show) so his films are faring a bit better. Supposedly Image Entertainment is releasing the restored Autrys to DVD.

Steve

7. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Second Unit

Very interesting posting. I'm always fascinated by the progress (or lack thereof) of these restoration efforts. In addition to the serials, one batch of Republic items I hope is saved and preserved are the early-40s Judy Canova films. They are pretty funny slapstick hokum, judging from the ones I've seen. Immensely better than her two or three later, 1950s Republic films, which HAVE circulated over the years (and are very lame).

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

that's the title i was looking for on the list.
    i can't wait to get a decent anamorphic dvd of this title, but it would appear that Paramount doesn't have any big plans for it out of the gate- unless they are just trying to get a jump on ones that are in more dire physical need.

9. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Great to see the work done on Body and Soul. The current Artisan disc leaves quite a bit to be desired. When can we expect Paramount to start releasing these titles?, i.e. when do those rights fully revert to them?

Very curious about the mention of Killer of Sheep on the UCLA list. The film on which director Charles Burnett made his name has never been released on home video, to my knowledge. I caught a 16mm print of it years ago and was riveted. It is featured prominently in Thom Anderson's Los Angeles Plays Itself.

10. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

When do the Home Video Rights for these titles revert back to Paramount?

The Titles that I'm most interested in are -
    The Quiet Man
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Body & Soul
    Force of Evil
    Champion
    Rio Grande

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Republic reverts to Paramount this year.

I, for one, look forward to...

The Quiet Man (UCLA holds the camera 3-strip negatives)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (perhaps finally in its original Academy Ratio form, instead of the post-filming SuperScope conversion)

More serials (Spy Smasher!)

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    ..or preferably a well mastered version of both.

I have a sneaking suspicion/hope that we will see some of the John Wayne titles first to complement the release of the Batjac/Wayne-Fellows titles Paramount will be releasing on DVD this year as well.

Regards,

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The Autry estate owns many if not all of his Republic films and has been quietly releasing the fully-restored films through Image. I think I'm the only reviewer on the net who has been covering them, but they've on the whole done an incredible job in turning these into attractive presentations. I think UCLA has been involved in some of the bigger titles, like Melody Ranch. If you're an Autry fan you should be picking up these inexpensive discs.

14. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

That would be nice; some good titles in there but I must have The Wake of The Red Witch.

15. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

How the heck did INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS -- an Allied Artists film -- get to be a Republic, anyway, I wonder? Too bad ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS and NOT OF THIS EARTH and FROM HELL IT CAME aren't on the list, too.

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Killer of Sheep should be out on DVD this year: www.milestonefilms.com/movie.php/kilsheep/

Invasion of the Body Snatchers should never have been be projected or transfered in anything other than its original 1.37:1 aspect ratio.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers was the last film produced by Walter Wanger Productions. It was distributed by Allied Artists, but it was not owned by AA - WWP owned it. My guess is that it was sold to Republic between 1957 and 1963, the year that Republic was sold to CBS.

The Artisan DVD was apparently transfered from the O-neg. This can't be, if the ratio is 2:1 - either Artisan matted the 1.37:1 image to 2:1 or they used a dupe neg that was made at 2:1 back in '56. One hopes that the original camera negative has survided and not that we only have 2:1 elements left. If that is the case, I will feel very sad indeed...

17. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

An interesting opinion, but it collides with history. Body was shot with sperical lens at the onset of the wide screen frenzy. Allied Arists used the "new" SuperScope for the theatrical release. In this first appearance, SuperScope was formated for a 2:1 aspect ratio and centered (what now is often refered to as window boxed). The aspect ratio of SuperScope changed quickly to 2.35 (which became 2.39 which became 2.4 which were all standards changes and not any physical change in film or lens). The SuperScope projection lens used a prism system that allowed the theare to vary the squeeze of the image. The original idea was that films would all be printed full aperture (with track) and then various unsqueeze would be applied. It did work out that way.

There are three negatives of Body. The original, the SuperScope and a "mistake" tv negative which was pan and scanned from the SuperScope made by a distributor that didn't know how SuperScope was shot.

As I recall there are ways to tell which negative you're watching and it's been documented before (such as edge room on certain shots. This has been discussed endlessly in some forums.

BUT, it was release theatrically at 2:1 and that was the original aspect ratio.

John

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

Well, the theatrical ratio. 2:1 is as much of the OAR of Invasion of the Body Snatchers as 1.66:1 is for Shane.

http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscu.../invasion.html says this:

Wanger was horrified to learn that the Allied execs opted to release the picture in SuperScope, an anamorphic widescreen process introduced by RKO Radio in 1954. It differed from CinemaScope in that the photography was done with normal lenses; the images were squeezed at the printing stage rather than in the camera. Wanger argued that a duped image would not do justice to Dana Wynter’s beauty, that the carefully wrought compositions would be ruined, and that the widescreen effect would make the picture resemble recent inferior anamorphic sci-fi pictures Again, he was overruled – widescreen was considered a "must” at the time due to the perceived competition with television for audiences.

Incidentally, Wanger was dead right on all counts. The damage caused by this last-minute decision can hardly be exaggerated. Fredericks had composed the picture for the 1.33:1 ratio, and the image-chopping required to obtain the 2:1 ratio needed for SuperScope not only destroyed the compositions, but left important details out of the frame. In addition, the images became grainier when the remaining frame was blown up to fill the wide screens. Only a very good movie could survive such butchery; somehow, Body Snatchers did.

19. Derek Estes

Derek Estes Stunt Coordinator

I can't wait for these films to finally be represented on DVD in a fasion that they deserve.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

We have two different issues at hand here. One issue is the aspect ratio a movie was filmed in versus the other issue which is the aspect ratio a movie was displayed in during it's original theatrical release. We've had this problem on a number of films released during that time around 1954. Personally, I rather have the original aspect ratio a movie was filmed.

Crawdaddy