What's new

Paramount's failure with original Star Trek (1 Viewer)

RichardMA

Second Unit
I really think the distribution (couple eps. per disc)
and the pricing seriously stunted the possible sales
of the DVD discs of the original series. I know I would
have bought the series if it had been available at a
more reasonable price, in box sets. As it was, I only have
a couple discs. IMO, this was a mistake by Paramount.
The series looks superb on DVD and it's a shame they
couldn't see fit to offer it in a logical manner. I guess
they banked on the so-called "geek factor" enticing certain
people to rob their parent's wallets/purses in order to
purchase all of them. Why couldn't the first series have
been presented like "Star Trek-Generations" 1st season, as
a box set, with maybe slightly lower pricing?
Star Trek Next Gen. 1st season is $130 Can. minimum whereas
"Buffy" second season (a full one) is only $59.00.
I guess it comes down to the size and maybe the average
income of the particular fan base?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
It is a logical manner, they were released in broadcast order and at a time when television products on DVD were a risky decision.

The first two volumes were released prior to the first season box for the X-Files and as such, it was not known if these products could sell well on DVD.

Now that the "market niche" has matured enough, more distributors can now create some season box sets without as big a worry as before.

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I would be first in line for season sets of the original series. I won't buy them until then. If they don't come out in season sets, then I won't be buying.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Well when TOS first started coming out (August of '99) there weren't many boxsets out & the studios weren't sure which way the market would go. TV show releases before DVD were limited and studios were used to the VHS/LD way of doing things. Paramount has said they've been happy with TOS sales.

Although Martin Blythe has said there are no plans for TOS box sets you can bet that eventually they will be available.

I think we'll see two things with certain big TV releases in the future, once the studios feel the current releases have brought the majority of the sales they will. Box sets for the ones that were released as singles and single disc releases for some of the sets. Then they can catch both the hardcore box set market and the try a disc and see if I like it market. Also many people long for single disc releases as it allows them to collect a series with out a big cash layout all at once. Some would rather spend $250 over time than $100 or $150 up front. Of course dual format releases make sense to me, but I'm not a studio.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do on TOS myself. I've got 10 discs so far and don't know if I'll buy more or wait and see. I'm more of a box set fan myself. If Paramount were to drop the MSRP of the TOS discs to $15 (meaning I could buy them for around $10) I'd start picking them up again in a heartbeat. Right now they're on hold while I buy other titles and try to decide how likely box sets are.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.

Stephen Fagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Fagan
There will not be a TOS box set. Paramount did what they believed to be best at the time, which was seperate discs. Box sets are the best choice in 2002. If you want the Original Series on DVD, get the releases that are out now. I haven't bought any myself, as getting the entire series would be a large investment, I would buy them if a price drop ever happens.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I only bought one disc to check out the quality. Its great! I wish they would do that to TNG! Price is the issue. I'd prefer season sets but would buy the individual discs if they lowered the price. I did this with The Twilight Zone when they lowered the price.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
When they were first released each disc was available for preorder at $11.99. About disc ten they went up to $12.99 -$13.99. Bought over time (like I did) as they were released it was a small investment. And it took over two years. I certainly understand not wanting to buy them now all at once. It is a rather large sum.
I would recommend to the people who want the disc's, but did not get them as they were released, add one in whenever you place an online order. Or when you go to a store and see one pick it up. No one says you have to get them all at once. Paramount did an excellent job mastering them and you get 1 hour and 40 minutes of viewing. Most places are selling them in the $15 range which still gives you more than some movies which normally sell for $19.
Or if you prefer (like some do) you have an opportunity to only get the episodes you like. Would I have liked them in season box sets? Sure I would. Did Paramount do a complete 180 for TNG releases? Did they listen to what most fans wanted? Yes they did.
Paramount realized box sets were the way to go and that is what you are getting now. And you're getting them fast. Paramount knew they made a mistake and they have corrected it. We should be thanking them rather than whining about something they have already taken steps to correct.
As for me...Thank You Paramount!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
There will not be a TOS box set.
As you can see from these two opposing quotes no one knows at this point if TOS will ever be reissued in boxes. However, it's widely assumed that Paramount will issue DS9 boxes next year (after they're through with TNG), and Voyager boxes in 2004. So, I think it's safe to say that 2005 would be the earliest they would revisit TOS, if they even choose to do so.
So if you want TOS, and don't want to wait a minimum of 3 years (and possibly more), take Frank's advice and start picking 'em up one or two at a time. You'll have the entire collection on your shelf long before any reissue happens.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I too firmly believe that TOS will be re-released in season box sets.

If not - no biggie - I've seen the episodes so many times over the years that I still know most of them verbatim anyhow.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big enough fan to buy TOS in it's current incarnation. If it were released in an affordable season boxed set format, I might consider it.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It should be pointed out here that when this series was first released to VHS the cost was about $14/episode; and neither the video nor the audio came anywhere close to the quality provided by the DVD iterations. So, from that perspective, these discs could be considered incredible (relative) bargains.

I ended up purchasing the volumes that represented the entire first and second year seasons and "cherry-picked" the weak third season. (Although I've recently been picking up a disc here and there during "weak" release weeks.)

The overall quality is incredible for a series produced in the late Sixties, and it's a revelation to "blow up" these early episodes on a large FPTV system and be able to even discern the loose threads on the Starfleet uniforms!

Coming early in the DVD format, I'm willing to overlook the way Paramount chose to distribute these episodes. If they had gone to three episodes/disc, for example, they would have had to go to dual layering which in the early days of the format would have added significantly to the initial cost overhead of these discs (already high due to the video cleanup and the re-mastering of the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1).

THE BOTTOM LINE is from the perspective of an early VHS TOS collector, the current release of the series on DVD provides the best video and audio presentation of these episodes in the history of the series, while simultaneously providing the best cost/episode ever provided on home video for the series.

What is there to complain about?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is I don't own any of the TOS discs but I would buy season sets.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
IMO, this was a mistake by Paramount.
Well, from a financial standpoint, they may have made more money overall between those willing to buy them all at the higher prices and those who only like certain episodes. Only the accounting department at Paramount knows for sure. They only had three seasons to work with versus seven for the later series, so each time a set of episodes were a "new release", they effectively got a repromotion for all of the episodes via store ads and sales. Considering the size of the DVD market at the time versus now, they may have made the right move then even if it is not the right move today.

Regards,

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I also believe that TOS season sets will eventually come out (probably not until DS9 and Voyager are out though). That, combined with the all shelf space 40 volumes has taken up made me sell all but two TOS volumes (14 & 21).

Like Frank said, if you pre-ordered them originally, which I also did, the investment was not so bad but once I had all 40 and finished watching them, I realized they took up way too much space and also figured that with TNG coming out in box sets, TOS would eventually go that way too.

Also, look at Farscape, they originally had no plans for a Season One box set but that changed recently too. I know ADV is not Paramount but TOS in box sets just seems like the logical step sometime down the road.

Chris M

Second Unit
I would definately buy season sets, but it's too much trouble to track down all the individual releases. And it's too expensive that way now too. I just can't justify it. I'm not really even interested in getting individual releases of shows that I liked. I just want season boxes... End of story.

Chris.

Brian E

Screenwriter
If space is the issue for some you can always download those nice covers that fit into the extra wide keepcases.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/imag...art/index.html
That will save you a ton of space. If they lower the current MSRP this is probably what I'll do.
I said earlier, "Although Martin Blythe has said there are no plans for TOS box sets you can bet that eventually they will be available." I still believe this to be true. Paramount has proven that they will reissue Trek titles. It makes them to much money to leave alone forever. At some point someone there will look at the sales of the single volumes, which will eventually drop off, and say now if we do box sets we can get all those customers we missed the first time around.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Rutger,
They were released in production order (except for the Cage unaired pilot added to the last disc) instead of broadcast order. Man Trap was the 1st broadcast, but Where No Man is the 2nd pilot and the 1st ep on 1st disc.

Peter

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Although Martin Blythe has said there are no plans for TOS box sets you can bet that eventually they will be available.
I wouldn't be shocked if they eventually put out "TOS" boxed sets, but I'd be surprised. They'd have to feel convinced that there was sufficient money to be made to justify the work and investment necessary. Yeah, they're already remastered, but it would still take time and money to redo the sets into the new packaging and then promote them, and it simply may not be worth it for Paramount; they may feel the sales they've lost from folks who'll only buy boxed sets won't make up for the new costs.

In any case, even if they do appear, I wouldn't expect them for years. Clearly Paramount want to focus on new "Trek" TV product right now, and there's a LOOONG way to go until those sets are done...

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Steve. I did not know about I Love Lucy. I would suggest that people buy them as they are released as well or wait and gamble on a possible box set release. I just don't think people should whine about not having TV episodes on DVD or the price. Either buy them or don't, it's a gamble sometimes. However, value per minute is usually better than movie releases. Just because they are TV episodes doesn't cheapen their value to someone who really wants to own them.

And as for the difference in pricing of season sets such as Buffy, X-Files, Trek, M*A*S*H, whom ever is in charge sets the price for what they think people will buy them for. That's just the way it is. It's like that from soup cans to cars. Different brands get different prices. The choice is always the same. Buy or don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks