Paramount's big 3...I'm really surprised...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by todd s, Apr 19, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am wondering now that Paramount has run out of Treks to release once Enterprise is done. Maybe we will finally see the other 3 big shows from Paramount?

-Wild Wild West
    -Untouchables
    -Mission Impossible

I can assume they are waiting for Mission Impossible 3 to come out to cross-promote the tv series.

2. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    I wonder, too. Also, shouldn't it really be "Paramount's big 4", since THE FUGITIVE (1963-67) was/is easily as big as those other series? [​IMG]

3. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Absolutely correct, Peter! When I saw the title thread, and then read the 3 shows listed (minus "The Fugitive"), I thought the same thing you did.

Gary "ok Paramount, it's time to stop playing games and pull out the big guns - let's hear about a Fugitive release soon - please" O.

4. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

Do you really think they are not going to find some way to repackage the Trek seasons to milk the Trekkies as much as they can? [​IMG]

5. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Yeah, they're doing a poll over on startrek.com as we speak regarding theme sets... Borg, Klingon, etc. Paramount will definitely continue to milk the Trek breast long after everyone's stopped caring. It's sad, because it only diminishes the franchise.

...heh, kinda like Star Wars. [​IMG]

6. JeffT.

JeffT. Screenwriter

How about organizing a similiar online question-and-answers discussion forum with some executive representatives from Paramount Pictures a la the recent Warner Brothers public information dialogue?

If the (chosen) representatives are as openly accessible and knowledgeable about their company's film and tv series libraries as the Warner Brothers reps were then it could prove to be most beneficial in clarifying some (nagging) issues and perhaps give these executives a much clearer prespective about just what the public is currently interested in pertaining to (prospective) film and tv series DVD releases.

Anyway I'm sure that Paramount Pictures recognizes (at least) MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE as being one of its top (vintage) tv franchises and a DVD release is undoubtedly imminent.

Jeff T.

7. Justin_Waine

Justin_Waine Extra

I'm sure if they do release some of those sets they'll charge the same $100 price tag as the trek sets.

Thank god for ebay.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

As I recall, Paramount Home Entertainment did do a couple of chats with HTF a few years back, but then new studio management came in over the level of the person (a PHE Vice President) who was chatting with us and visiting regularly with us here at HTF in the forums, and they (the new studio President, or whoever it was) told him not to do live internet chats anymore, and IIRC he was also discouraged from posting in the forums here and and DVDTalk. New corporate policies were put in place regarding the sort of thing he had previously been doing.

I think it's safe to say that we can credit him with listening to our feedback over the years, even when he was just lurking and not posting, and causing to get released a number of titles that we badly wanted and never thought would see the light of day otherwise. A small number of DVD titles I'd credit him with causing to happen on behalf of fan feedback are DragonSlayer, Shogun, and this week's release of Lil Abner (his final "gift", as he's recently moved out of the VP position and the PHE division, and become a consultant for Paramount International).

So Paramount was interested in doing chats and did so in the past, but then corporate rules there changed to be in line with other studios like Disney, Sony, and Universal: "no chats". It would be very very difficult for Ron and Packy to convince the people in the highest echelons at any of these studios to make an exception for the HTF. Bummer. [​IMG]

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i assume you were talking about Martin Blythe-
    if so, its a shame coprorate policy prevented him from having a more active presence here the last year or two.
    he seemed like a really decent guy and the studio obviously didn't realize what a good 'face' they had with him.

if your still watching Martin,
    best wishes in your new position!

10. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Ditto. Mr. Blythe is a true class act and his contributions to HTF are quite appreciated. He'll be a success in whatever he does.

Steve

11. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Interesting background info on past HTF/Studio chats. Thanks Dave L, JeffT . Being a relative newcomer to HTF, I'd love to see these "chats" come back.

I heard that "the big 4" from Paramount. I want all of those released as well. (I have to add 2 of these to my "signature" in a minute [​IMG] )

12. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Martin is one of the nicest guys, and great to work with. He has his own consulting business, and I'm sure we'll see more of him in the future.

Gord

13. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

Paramount does have some catching up to do in regards to tv releases. I second the hope that they will be more in line with the price of releases from other studios rather than the price of the trek sets.

14. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

The Trek sets are the exception, not the rule, in terms of Paramount's pricing of television product. Most of their product is reasonably priced.

-Scott

15. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Doesn't Tom Cruise own the rights to Mission: Impossible now, including the TV series? That could effect it's release on DVD.

16. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Aside from the Trek series, I can't recall any 1 hour shows
    that Paramount has released. It seems that Paramount is concentrating on 30 minute shows and ignoring hour shows.