What's new

Paramount (1 Viewer)

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Some months ago TSoD had an article that mentioned that a recent change over in management at Paramount Home Video might mean a more aggressive marketing of their catalogue (Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place were the shows directly mentioned). While I know that six months is far to short a time for us to start seeing a ton of releases based on that given how long it takes to actually do the work of producing the DVDs...

... does anyone have any sense that this aggessive marketing is coming to pass? From what I recall Paramount has many of the top unreleased shows on TSoD including the top two (90210 and JAG) as well as Wings and Get Smart.

I know I've heard similar statements about changes in leadership resulting in more DVD releases from Sony/MGM and Universal as well.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment has vigorously released a number of its tv series titles the most notable being I LOVE LUCY (CBS 1951-57) and THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW (CBS 1960-68) which is pretty much the usual kind of stuff that one would expect...considering both these (fine) tv offerings enormous popularity!

But it's the unusual tv properties that most concerns me and the one in particular is THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) which I would (naturally) like to see some movement on at least by sometime in 2006.

The Invaders (Click Here).

Do you read me Paramount? I somehow doubt it!

Jeff T.

Jamie Middleton

Stunt Coordinator
man i wish there would be some shake ups in Sony. I am so disgusted with them right now that I cant stomach it. The practice of them releasing one or two seasons of a top notch show (mad about you and just shoot me to name a couple) and then not releasing future seasons just about has me ready to boycott the studio.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

However, the sudden decrease in the price of the LUCY sets (along with the switch to slim-line cases) is a nice change. Now if they'd do the same with STAR TREK series ...

Katherine_K

Second Unit

I rather resent the way they've priced the Star Trek series. They know that there are X number of people who will buy it at that price and I suppose they believe that means that it's appropriate. It comes off to me as a former avid fan it is symptomatic of Viacom/Paramount/Berman's desigre to milk that francise for whatever they can get without regard to the fans or their wishes or even the long term health and profitablity of the francise.

I wont buy them for that price. I didn't buy X-Files or Due South for that price, but those two series I have been able to find on the used market for what I consider a more appropriate price. The used market for Star Trek sets is still too rich for my blood. I'm sure there are as many people who would buy that set for half the price (and without the stupid silly gimicky special packaging) as there were who brought the set new for the current SRP.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Katherine 100% I will not pay under any circumstances what Paramount wants for Star trek.

furthermore I want to know why they have not released Gomer Pyle? Whats the hold up?? If Andy Griffith is out, Gomer should follow

and Sony is annoying me too. More Mr Ed Please??

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I am impressed with Paramount's tv output. I would rank them no worse than second maybe even first in terms of tv output. By the end of the year, there will be at least 3 seasons of the Brady Bunch, 2 seasons of Andy Griffith,
and 2 seasons of Hogan's Heroes in addition to I Love Lucy.
Despite this hectic schedule, it's obvious that they have put some work into cleaning them up. They are so much better than what is generally shown on tv. I also apreciate the fact that they re-released S1 in the slim cases.

There are two criticisms that I would have. First, I wish they would be more consistent on supplements. Second, I wish
they would release some of their 1 hour shows. They have a huge list of 1 hour shows and aside from Star Trek, have done nothing with them.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Not true... including shows released under the Paramount banner and the CBS banner, Paramount has distributed these one hour shows:

The 4400
Charmed
CSI
CSI Miami
Joan of Arcadia
Keen Eddie
MacGyver

Those are the ones I have.

Also, I believe:
Touched by an Angel
7th Heaven

There may be more...

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend who works at Paramount and apparently 2006 is going to be loaded with TV releases. That's what they're focusing on.

That's great news on one end... but on the other: after the current theatrical titles on the 2005 schedule, there won't be any more catalog titles released (due to poor sales). They'll probably still do special editions of the popular movies, but nothing new. I really hope they change their minds about that, there are so many movies yet to be released.

Katherine_K

Second Unit

That is sad news, though to be honest as a regular film buyer I always am skeptical of Paramount projects because of their general lack of special features. The last catalogue release from them I've bought was ... Is Paris Burning and not only was it bare bones, but no work had been done on the film stock at all.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
To add to Scott's list: three seasons of Survivor have been released, and The Amazing Race comes out this fall.

That's a shame about the catalog titles...but to be honest, I've only bought two movies on DVD this year; both older releases: Heavyweights and Forrest Gump. I just prefer TV DVDs a lot more.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
When I talked about Paramount not doing anything with their 1 hour shows, I was talking about their classic titles not recent titles. In addition to Star trek, Paramount owns classic titles such as Wild Wild West and Mission Impossible. They have not released anything except for the original Star Trek show.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Are you sure of that? Over on the film forum, the opposite is being said, that Paramount is finally going to go into their catalog, releasing older films. They have probably more unreleased films from the 70's and 80's than any other major studio.

My main problem with Paramount are their menus and opening logos. They are unskippable and you can't fast forward through them. It literally takes two minutes from putting in a DVD to the opening menu coming on the screen. You have the Paramount logo, then the warnings in two languages. It takes forever. I mean, they have our money, why can't they let you get past that like the other studios do?

With TV on DVD, this is especially frustrating. I was trying to find an episode of a certain show and had to go through this on three DVDs before I found it.

RossHy

Agent
The Parkers and Sister Sister are also two shows that were supposed to come out this year, but it doesn't look like they will. Their plans on the C.S.I. franchise and 7th Heaven seemed to have slowed as well. Hopefully, these shows will debut/continue to be released in 2006. It looks like Paramount's done a good job releasing their TV product, and hopefully that will continue.

John*P

Second Unit

Don't forget Family Ties. We were supposed to get that at the beginning of this year, if memory serves...

BTW, the "Unreleased Rank" for Family Ties at TVShowsOnDVD.com is 14th. People clearly want this show on DVD.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I am so happy that they retained the original logos on The Brady Bunch! There were even variations on them that I didn't know existed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks