What's new

PARAMOUNT - You are narrowing my wish list...thanks! Are these planned..? (1 Viewer)

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
I'd like cast my votes for Student Bodies, Dragonslayer, and Summer School.
I wonder if Paramount will be having another poll here.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
And put me down big-time for Miracle At Morgan's Creek, according to the Preston Sturges web site, Paramount is preparing an SE of this work of one of America's finest directors. I hope this is true. Whatever you charge, I'll buy any Sturges you care to put out.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Another Paramount title I've somehow forgotten to mention until now:

BABY IT'S YOU

The most important thing, other than anamorphic OAR, would be to release the film with its original soundtrack intact. All video and laserdisc versions have some music rescored for home video and/or use alternate, cheap-sounding K-Tel versions of popular hits. The soundtrack employs a jukebox full of hits from the sixties and also features a wonderful, anachronous use of Springsteen tunes.

Writer/Director John Sayles talks about this in the book SAYLES ON SAYLES. Back in 1982 and '83 the studio didn't care enough about this title to ensure the music rights for home video despite Sayles' pleas.

Paramount please right this wrong and get this Sayles classic on DVD in its theatrical form. Thank you.

Jon

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
SMILE was a United Artists release and belongs to MGM.

I thought BACK TO THE BEACH was an Orion title and thus would also belong to MGM.

LITTLE BIG MAN has always been a FOX title on video. Have the rights switched to Paramount?

Jon

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I don't expect to see it on DVD anytime soon, but whenever FIRSTBORN is on cable (which is a lot), I find myself glued to the set.

Up until the overblown and inappropriate finale, the film has many quietly powerful moments and is quite a good meditation on the effects of divorce on children. Teri Garr, Christopher Collet (remember him?), Peter Weller, and young Corey Haim all deliver outstanding performances in Michael Apted's familial drama. And look for Sarah Jessica Parker and Robert Downey Jr. in supporting roles.

Jon

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Jon,

LITTLE BIG MAN was produced by CBS (back when the networks all had theatrical production arms) and since CBS and Paramount are now owned by Viacom, it's now a Paramount title. Same thing with BETTER OFF DEAD.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jon, I was/am at work and was trying to rack my brain about what LDs, tapes I had that were Paramount.
I think with the release of Brain Candy and The Big Bus coming in July, and Criterions impending release of Hearts and Minds, all that might be left on my list is:

If...
The President's Analyst
Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains
Once Upon A Time In The West.
Hannie Caulder
Heart of Darkness
Serpico
To Catch a Thief
the Indiana Jones movies
Visit To A Small Planet

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Matthew,
Thank you for the information. I was aware of the rights issue, but I didn't realize LITTLE BIG MAN was a CBS title.
And that reminds me of another fine CBS title to add to Paramount's list: PRIME CUT. Michael Ritchie's action-crime-exploitation film was not too well received upon release (the late Ritchie has said neither he nor Hackman were "very proud" of the film.) In any event, due to its sleazy milieu and the scenery chewing by stars Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman, it's become quite a cult hit. And it definitely lives up to the hype as it's both entertaining and damned quotable. Sissy Spacek makes her film debut, drugged and nude, as a victim of Hackman's white slave trade. And Hackman's character's name is Mary Ann. ;)
And PRIME CUT reminds me of another fine Hackman-Ritchie collaboration, the earlier DOWNHILL RACER, from Paramount. With Hackman as oily coach to Redford's champion skier. Incidentally, I saw recently where it was playing in New York as part of a festival, programmed by fashion designers singling out the films that influenced them most in terms of fashion and style.
So, Paramount, with BETTER OFF DEAD in the can (aces!), please consider PRIME CUT, another new acquisition, for DVD release. And please dig into your own vaults for DOWNHILL RACER.
Jon

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
These are a few I'm wishing/hoping to see before I move on to the great beyond.

1. THE DESPERATE HOURS (1955)

2. THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH

3. DRAGONSLAYER

4. PHASE IV

5. ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS

Greg_M

Screenwriter
DVD will be dead and gone by the time Paramount releases any of the above mentioned titles. With MGM releasing 200 more catalog titles this year, one wonders if Paramount really supports DVD. MGM has also managed to released some high quality DVD's with their high quantity output. So it's not an excuse.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't think questioning Paramount's support of the format is going to encourage them to either participate here or get titles we want out faster. While MGM may be dumping a lot of titles into the market, I can't say I am that happy with the quality of a good majority of them, while Paramount seems pretty consistent, if not as prolific.

I think we should keep the studio bashing to a minimum amd concentrate on reasons to include the films we want on the release agenda. It will be far more productive.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Why during the high point of the era of laserdisks did the studios release so much of their film catalog? But now they appear to be so reluctant to do so. Is it because the original film elements are in too bad of shape to release? If that is the case, and they do not think that it is economically feasible to restore them, then so be it. One reason I will not buy is that there is not market for these catalog titles. There IS a market, but perhaps this market is not of a size to suit the persons now in charge of deciding which titles to release.(They sure thought that there was enough of a market during the high point of the LD era) Looking after their bottom line is understandable behavior by the studios. If they don't wish to release a title themselves then license it to someone who IS interested in releasing it. This way they can still add to their bottom line & we the buying public can get some of these catalog titles we want to own. My personal movie library has always been 80% to 90% catalog type titles as opposed to releases of new films for reasons I should perhaps not say here, due to respect for Mr Ulmer's comments above. I'll ALWAYS buy catalog titles, whether they are old, silent B&W or color. In this respect the studios will always have a solid customer for catalog titles in me.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I would love Paper Moon and a Special Edition would be great.

Also Racing with the Moon and from TV....

Bosum Buddies!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks