What's new

PARAMOUNT: With Older TV Shows Making Their Way to DVD.... (1 Viewer)

Matthew H

Second Unit
Mr. Blyth,

Respectively, older TV shows that many of us grew up watching are finally making their way to DVD. We have your company releasing I Love Lucy in July, Columbia has given us the first season of All in the Family, and in August The Jeffersons and Sanford & Son is coming. Now my question is, when can we expect the 60s spy classic GET SMART on DVD? I realize there are way too many TV shows that Paramount owns the distribution rights to, but I know for a fact that this particular program has a decent fanbase that is sure to perform successful if released.

Has this been mentioned, if so are there any plans to release it (preferrably in season boxed sets)? I know there are many anxiously awaiting this series. Thank you.

Jared M

Stunt Coordinator
count me in for some season sets of get smart, plus many other paramount shows i've mentioned before.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Hopefully Paramount will have Police Squad set for 2003
You only need ONE box set:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Actually, truth be told, over at TVShowsOnDVD I find that "Get Smart" is ranked higher in user voting than "Mission: Impossible"...and that "Police Squad" is just a tad above "Get Smart"! :eek:
Personally, I want Get Smart more than any of the others. Especially while Don Adams, Barbara Feldon, Mel Brooks, and Buck Henry are still with us!!
Heck, maybe we can get commentary tracks from Richard Donner on episodes 6 and 10 (he directed those, y'know)!
Let's have even more fun: a couple of years ago, for a Comedy Central "tribute" to Austin Powers, there was an appearance by Bernie Kopell in character as Siegfried!! :) Let's get Bernie in on the act.
Other classic (and classy) folks who took time to be in this series (there's gotta be a trivia section waiting for this, right?): Johnny Carson (episodes 13 & 74), Leonard Nimoy (#18), Regis Philbin (#84), Buddy Hackett (#65), Vincent Price (#124), Julie Newmar (#95), Cesar Romero (#86), Ted Knight (#'s 24 & 57), Alan Oppenheimer (#51 & 94), Barbara Bain (#7), Vic Tayback (#'s 35 & 56), Robert Culp (#85), Gordon Jump (#'s 36 & 65), Joey Bishop (#61), Jamie Farr (#87), Wally Cox (#69), Billy Barty (#'s 114 & 136), Larry Storch (#75), Ernest Borgnine (#'s 76 & 77), Milton Berle (#78), Bob Hope (#79), and the immortal Don Rickles (#'s 76, 77, 105, & 106).
Advice if this show comes to DVD: Don't use the colorized version of the pilot, "Mr. Big". Make sure it is presented in its original black-and-white. Yes, it may be the only non-color episode of the series, but that's the way it happened so please show it historically accurate!
Gosh, writing all of this reminds me of how much I long to own this on DVD. To share it with my son as he grows up. It was a fun part of getting home from school every afternoon!
Dant-DA-daaaaa....

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I agree with everything David Lambert said. I'd buy a Get Smart (and Police Squad) boxset in an instant. :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I would buy Get Smart in half-of-a-second! I love that show. Isn't FOX having a Mel Brooks push sometime this year/next year? That would be the perfect time!
Dunt da da.... DA! Dunt da da... da
DUNT DA DA DA DUNT DA DA DA...
ok, i'll stop now ;)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
It would been a great thing when Paramount released this three pack box for Naked Gun that they would have included a fourth disc with the Police Squad show.

Had that happended, and their marketing team had the forethought to do so, I am sure that there would be more interest in this simple repackaging.

As far as their other television properties....I am still holding my breath, and figure I will for a long time, for season boxes of Laverne and Shirley.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Assuming that Artisan doesn't somehow have temporary rights to them, the three classic TV series that Paramount/Viacom currently controls, which I'd most like to see collected (all episodes in proper chronological order) on DVD, would include:
THE WILD WILD WEST (1965-69)
THE FUGITIVE (1963-67)
THE ADDAMS FAMILY (1964-66)
--considering that all three were/are still famous/popular enough to have inspired big-budget, high-profile theatrical versions in recent years (even though 1999's WILD WILD WEST bombed, probably due largely to the fact that the movie jettisoned many of the original TV series' better qualities), I'd think DVD collections of these wouldn't be out of the question in the fairly near future. Ditto the easy-to-collect POLICE SQUAD! series. Howzabout it, Martin? ;)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
There is a petition to have Police Squad on DVD that has just been started here: Petition
Dunno if there are others out there already...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks