Paramount: Will you fix Godfather disc 5?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lyle_JP, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

It has been a couple of months since the release of the Godfather trilogy on DVD, and shortly after the release Paramount was made aware (by members of this and other A/V forums) that a majority of the supplements on disc 5 caused lock ups on a number of DVD players (mostly Philips, Samsung, and Pioneer Elite players).
    An executive at Paramount who posts frequently on this forum took down the information and said he would look into the problem. Yet there have been no updates on any progress on this front.
    Paramount, I don't need an exact date on when a fixed disc will be available (though it would be nice), at this point I'm more interested in hearing if there are even plans to fix the disc. It seems that Paramount has seriously considered "whistling past the graveyard" on this one (much like Columbia TriStar's treatment of Holy Grail). I hope I'm wrong in that belief, because I would like to see a Godfather disc 5 that works in all players, including my Pioneer Elite DV-37.
    Thank you for your attention.
    -Lyle J.P.

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

And my Toshiba SD-2109. From the DVD-ROM dates, the disc was manufactured some time ago, and there is no radical technology needed to watch a featurette and yet so many people's DVD players cannot play the disc. It is the only flaw to an otherwise wonderful release, but it is an ENORMOUS flaw and after all, considering the retail price is $105.99, it'd be kind of nice, you know, to have ALL the discs in the set work.
    It has been 4 months and still nothing has even been stated, and no corrected discs printed, no faulty-disc exchange put in place for those who cannot play the disc. I expect more, Paramount! [​IMG]

3. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

I haven't forgotten though it has taken longer than I thought. I still hope to identify a fix for you.

4. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

That's great to hear, Martin, please do fill us in as soon as something is figured out!
    [​IMG]

5. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Hooray! My faith in Paramount is restored. Yes, I understand you're not guarantee-ing me a fix, but the fact that work has not stopped on one is promising.

Now if we could only light a fire under Disney's butt to fix Dinosaur!

-Lyle J.P.

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Lyle, in Software there is a thread discussing how Disney has begun sending out replacement discs for "Dinosaur"...and yes, I know....just a shade under 13 months!