Paramount --- Where Are YOUR Noirs???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnPM, Mar 4, 2005.

1. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

Dec 31, 2004
    ... and, yes, I know Universal owns the pre-48 Paramount group, but there are a number of outstanding film noirs that Paramount STILL owns, and I for one would be delighted to have them on DVD, including "I Walk Alone", "The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers"(it's PD and it's out there on cheap labels, but Paramount presumably owns the original elements), "Rope Of Sand"(only marginally a noir, but a great riff on "Casablanca"), "The File On Thelma Jordan", "Appointment With Danger"(super Alan Ladd), "Union Station" and "The Turning Point" (two very good Bill Holden crime thrillers). This group would make a fine promotional, if only Paramount had Warner's imagination....
  2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Aug 3, 2002
    The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers (1946, Lewis Milestone)
    - Is the Image Entertainment edition the best?

The Night Has a Thousand Eyes (1948, John Farrow)
    I Walk Alone (1948, Byron Haskin)
    The Accused (1949, William Dieterle)
    Rope Of Sand (1949, William Dieterle)
    Dark City (1950, William Dieterle)
    No Man of Her Own (1950, Mitchell Leisen)
    The File On Thelma Jordan (1950, Robert Siodmak)
    Union Station (1950, Rudolph Maté)
    Detective Story (1951, William Wyler)
    Appointment with Danger (1951, Lewis Allen)
    The Turning Point (1952, William Dieterle)

Yup, they own some fine Noirs. Four by Dieterle, who is one of my favourite filmmakers of the Golden Era.

I Walk Alone should have been released years ago. Great Noir. Union Station is also overdue.

The Night Has a Thousand Eyes is often not considered a true Noir due to it's occultish overtones. But it has the essential qualities of Noir and Robinson is excellent in role of the accursed "Mental Wizard". There wasn't even a VHS or Laser of this gem! Shocking! I saw it on TV in the early 90s and would love to revisit it. Farrow's excellent, The Big Clock is on DVD with a fine transfer from Universal, of course. Farrow directed His Kind of Woman (1951) for Howard Hughes, but the film was re-shot under Richard Fleischer. One wonders how much better the Farrow version was.

Bottom line: Paramout need to put some of the above out soon.
  3. Guest

Should also include ALL of Ladd/Scott film. Spec: The Great Gatsby
  4. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Dec 21, 2004
    Gregory Mesh
  5. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Jan 1, 2005
    This is the one I've wanted for a long time: I Walk Alone (1948, Byron Haskin)
  6. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Jan 7, 2004
    DETECTIVE STORY is available now, and DARK CITY, UNION STATION, ROPE OF SAND, and APPOINTMENT WITH DANGER will be coming out this year via Olive Films. (I'd love to see HELL'S ISLAND released also). Aren't THE NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES and THE ACCUSED under the control of Universal/MCA?