What's new

Paramount - We Need Daria! (1 Viewer)

Dustin D

Stunt Coordinator
We've just gotten Daria - Is It Fall Yet? on DVD, and I think it would be great to have the entire series on DVD. It would be pretty easy, and would not require as much effort as other series.

Daria had 5 seasons, each with 13 episodes. Each set would be as big as Simpsons Season 1, so not many discs. For extras, you could include the special Look Back in Annoyance and the various scenes with Daria and Jane that were used during marathons on MTV. Of course, new interviews and such would be nice, but might not be feasible.

Come on Paramount, please give us Daria on DVD!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I concur! We need Daria! We love Daria!

*Daria and Jane are in the principal's office*

Principal: Did you two think you were going to get away with this?

Jane: Well, it would be stupid to say yes now.

John Torrez

Second Unit
Mr. Blythe, if you're out there please let us know the status of this. I would gladly purchase this show on dvd.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I was just thinking about this 5 minutes ago and was going to make a post...but decided to serarch first. I agree...and I want it ASAP!

To Martin Blythe and all who support a Daria DVD release:
Mr. Blythe's advice to lobby MTV is sound. We have been doing just that for the past nine months at DVDaria, http://geocities.com/dvdaria/ We've collected more than 3,000 online signatures, have contact information for writing to MTV, and point folks toward a list of vendors to buy "Is it Fall Yet?"
Contacts at Viacom have told us that strong sales of this first DVD will be what makes the difference for Daria. Logically, they'll only put out more episodes and the new movie if they see a demand. The US VHS releases stopped because sales were relatively poor, while stronger sales in the UK and other countries meant that five tapes have been released to date.
If you want Daria released on DVD in Region 1, or any region, you must support "Is if Fall Yet?" If you have Daria fans for friends who don't use the Web for information, please encourage them to get the movie and write to MTV (address posted at DVDaria).
If Mr. Blythe could contact MTV with word of DVDaria's measure of fan support and our efforts to promote the current release, we would really appreciate it. Also, fans are interested in learning how the DVD is selling, and news about pressings beyond the first. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
We don't see any money from referrals or page views, or endorse vendors. We simply want to get Daria preserved in digital format.
If you have questions or comments, you can reach me at [email protected].
Thanks for your attention.
Alan Benard
DVDaria

Dustin D

Stunt Coordinator
We should have a chat with MTV here to talk their material and what will be put on DVD. If we can do it with MGM and FOX, we can certainly at least ask MTV. Daria deserves DVD!

Dustin wrote:

"We should have a chat with MTV here to talk their material and what will be put on DVD. If we can do it with MGM and FOX, we can certainly at least ask MTV. Daria deserves DVD!"

I am the poster child for HTF newbies. I was referred here by a reviewer from DVD Talk, and from my perspective he did me a large favor. (I'll admit that I was told about HTF before and didn't follow up...shame on me.)

If this sort of thing happens here -- and this set of forums seems to have that kind of moxie -- I've got a little list -- all drawn up, over months and from many, many fan contributions -- at the DVDaria site. More ideas are welcome.

Here's a synopsis of what folks would like. It is not necessarily presented in order of preference, and certainly is a wish list -- _not_ a list of what fans require to have a Daria boxed set worth buying:

+ The entire 5 seasons and two movies of the series, grouped by chronological order (i.e. all of Season One together, all of Season two together, etc. and so forth)

+ The unaired black-and-white test pilot featured on the first Daria VHS release

+ Uncut episodes, including opening and closing credits for each episode and commercial break interstitials left intact (or included in the episode at the discretion of the viewer via DVD's seamless branching capabilities)

+ Original music as broadcast in the episodes and closing credits [though fans are ready to cry "Uncle" on this one, as we hear the costs truly are prohibitive. One estimate heard was $50,000 for each instance of all or part of a licensed recording, which theoretically would increase fixed costs by more than $2 million]

+ The "Behind The Scenes With Daria" special [and the new Look Back in Annoyance" special as well.]

+ Various MTV animations featuring Daria, such as the interstitials from the Dariathons and the Sarcastathon that were originally used as intros and outros between episodes during Daria marathons

+ The history of Daria from Beavis and Butthead to the end of the series

+ Behind-the-scenes production information -- how each episode is conceived and produced [though this might be difficult, seeing that MTV Animation has been disbanded]

+ Bios of the main people involved in the production of Daria -- the producers, the writers and the voice actors

+ Complete bios of the characters themselves, with information that has long escaped Daria aficionados (such as last names) [Paging Ms. Blum-Deckler...]

+ A gallery of the "alter-ego" drawings shown during the end credits of the show

+ Deleted scenes, if any are available

+ Original scripts, if available -- via a script-to-screen

DVD-ROM feature, if possible

+ DVD-ROM supplements including the various incarnations of MTV's Daria web site and links to the Daria Internet community, where hundreds of fan-written scripts and stories based on Daria are available to read for free [I hesitated about even leaving this one in this message...it's what fans would like, but I'm fairly certain the trademark owners wouldn't like that at all. So, pretend it's not there.]

+ DVDs sold individually or, optionally, in a deluxe box set

I'll hasten to add that, beyond content, we ask that the series be made available to other DVD regions. We also ask that the dubbed versions and any subbed versions are included as appropriate to the market where the DVDs are relaeased. There are many, many Daria fans outside the US -- in fact, an informal poll on The Irony Maiden, a UK-based fan site, claims that there is one British Daria fan for every American.

Alan Benard

Daria fans in the UK have discovered that the new DVD of the first movie, "Is it Fall Yet?", works on R2 players using NTSC-capable monitors, as long as the sync isn't derived from the mains -- meaning most newer TVs. Further tests indicate that the disc also works for equipment intended for regions 3-6, as well!
Learn more about this and places to buy this so-far US-only release at this fansite (we don't see a dime for anything, even referrals or page views): http://www.the-wildone.com/dvdaria/buy.html
Thanks! I hope this reaches some Daria fans outside the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks