What's new

PARAMOUNT: Twin Peaks Pilot DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
"it lists that Twin Peaks was done by WB TV"

No. TWIN PEAKS was produced by the former Worldvision Entertainment, which fused into Spelling Entertainment and was then fused together with Republic Pictures when Blockbuster video bought both companies. Upon Viacom's acquisition of Blockbuster comes the long laborious process of integrating all those movies and TV shows into Paramount's library. Outside of their tangled video and European rights, Warner Bros. has never had any involvement with the TWIN PEAKS series.

New Line only possesses U.S. rights to the feature film FIRE WALK WITH ME. This was a film made independently of Spelling Entertainment, financed by the now defunct French company CIBY 2000. As such, New Line's license only allows them the right to release their American cut. The inheritors of CIBY 2000's assets own all other material on that film, which is why despite all of New Line's attempts, there will be no deleted scenes on their DVD. What many of us don't always remember is that often studios that release movies they did not make themselves only have rights to that version, and must renegotiate with the original creators any time they want to make changes to it or have access to materials not previously used.

As stated before, technically, Paramount now owns the entire TWIN PEAKS series, including the pilot. HOWEVER, due to preexisting contracts made BEFORE Viacom owned Republic, Artisan is handling these DVD's. Within 10 years or so, it would be likely Paramount would release them under their own banner. But as Martin said, the Republic library has years of outside contracts left to buy out or expire before Paramount can do anything with them on video.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I wouldn't be expecting any news on this for some time, as Martin has already indicated. If there are legal issues to resolve, this isn't something that will change for months if not longer, no matter what the urgency is. It has been brought to Paramount's attention and acknowledged. Be patient.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
As Artisan is releasing the seasonal boxed sets with remixed DTS 5.1 sound, I would hope Paramount will release the Pilot episode with the same treatment and without the Euro ending. I'd hope you could get Mr. Lynch involved as soon as the issues are cleared up (soon I hope).

Thank you.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks