What's new

Paramount TV Shows coming/ 95% not released (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As part of parent co. Viacom's effort to get Paramount's library out on DVD, The Wall Street Journal reports that Paramount is readying Happy Days, The Brady Bunch and the Beverly Hillbillies for DVD this year. The article says that unlike other studios which have aggressively mined A-list and B-list catalog, Paramount "has a slew of uneploited vintage franchises to distribute." The studio will follow up the above shows with Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place. MacGyver and Charmed are mentioned as titles which are expected to turn a nice profit for the studio.

The article also lists "The Odd Couple" as a show the studio plans to market on DVD. I know a lot of people are waiting for this one. Similarly, it mentions "The Andy Griffith Show."

The article said that "Paramount had a 10% share of the $15 billion of catalog and new-release DVD sales in the U.S. last year, compared with 21% for Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. and almost 16% for Walt Disney Co., according to DVD Exclusive research. Paramount estimates that 53% of its movie catalog and 95% of its TV library have yet to be released on DVD."

95%?!?! Whoa.

It's time for Paramount to get serious about DVD beyond the Star Trek series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
More info from the article:

Paramount released 35 TV DVDs in 2002, and is expected to release 220 this year.

Some quotes: "The biggest boost ahead [to the studio's DVD program] is expected to come from TV DVDs."

"As a general rule, TV DVDs are more profitable to a studio."

"The expense of renegotiating the actors and producers, and clearing the music rights, can sometimes cut into profits. On the first season of "Happy Days," for instance, it cost almost $1 million just to get the music clearance."

And check this out: Paramount plans to spend more on DVD marketing and to cut prices to make its titles stand out from the crowd.

The article is available on WSJ.com but you must be a subscriber, and is in yesterday's print edition.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Paramount, let's see, how about:

Hawaii Five-O, Cannon, Ben Casey, The Fugitive, Love American Style, Odd Couple, Get Smart, Bonanza, The Defenders, The Nurses, Coronet Blue, The Immortal, Mission Impossible, The Untouchables, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, My Three Sons, Room 222, Mannix, Wild Wild West, One Step Beyond, Streets of San Francisco, Longstreet, The Young Lawyers, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, The Millionaire, Our Miss Brooks, Phil Silvers Show, T.H.E. Cat, Mod Squad, Perry Mason, Wendy and Me, The People's Choice, December Bride, Pete and Gladys, Family Affair, To Rome With Love, Governor and JJ, The Good Guys, Run Buddy Run, He and She, Funny Face

Yeah, I'd say they have a few series they have to get started on.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
220!! Sweet. Hopefully, my selections will come out. I forgot to include the new versions of both Mission:Impossible and Untouchables.

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
Cut prices, huh? Let's hope that means a reduction on the price of the Trek sets!

The Odd Couple and The Beverly Hillbillies coming! More Happy Days! I'm all for that!

I would also like to see Get Smart, The Lucy Show, and other shows that I like by Paramount that I don't know are owned by Paramount.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
from 35 to 220 is a good sized bump- but remember that many titles are getting fast tracked which means multiple seasons released throughout the year.
iirc, Brady Bunch is said to be getting at least 3 seasons released this year, probably more.
if each of the 35 titles from last year are getting several follow-up seasons this year, that could eat up 1/2 of the 220 total right there.

i don't know whats the hold up with The Fugitive or Mission: Impossible.
especially on the latter you don't need a theatrical release to move the first few seasons.
those will sell just fine on their own.
a movie tie-in would help moving the latter (less popular) seasons though.

would love to be able to buy My Three Sons and Room 222 among others, but i expect another good chunk of that 220 total is going to be reserved for product vintaged 1985-present

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'll be all over 'Beverly Hills 90210' and 'Melrose Place'. Neither of which I've seen in a few years now since they aren't currently being reran. Can't wait for those. Same goes with 'Beverly Hillbillies'. I'll gladly get that as well.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i didn't realize it before, but another good sized chunk of that 220 figure is going to be MTV and Nikelodeon product.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Except for Star Trek, Paramount has pretty low prices already...but hey, the lower the better!

My Paramount wishlist is simply more Survivor releases...just in case they're listening.

ClaireW

Auditioning
Oh I want Laverne and Shirley!! I don't care about Happy Days, but if it's coming out then there is hope for L&S. ;)

peggy

Stunt Coordinator

They are both being shown right now but you have to have the Soapnet channel to see them.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Laverne and Shirley?

Here is a commitment to all the remaining seven seasons Paramount!

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
..."The missing evidence in the kelner case, he was innocent...errr he went to the chair two years ago Frank!"

Police Squad, it has to be!

M

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Would love to see at least the second through fifth seasons of Happy Days.
At least the Milwaukee episodes of Laverne & Shirley
The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction (at least the ones with Bea Benaderet), Get Smart. The Odd Couple. Love, American Style, Room 222 (god I havent seen THAT in YEARS).....Stop me Im like a kid at Christmas......lol I better get a second job...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks