What's new

Paramount to release the Jack Ryan films on Blu-ray 7/29 (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks for the news on the Jack Ryan Collection. I was wondering when we might see the Blu-ray version. I am glad Parmount did not wait long and I am glad it will also get the Dolby True HD treatment. I just hope the video transfers for all 4 films is really good.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... Just noticed Gary Murrell's mention (in the latest DNR thread) about poor DNR/EE jobbies w/ this set (on HD-DVD anyway), except for CaPD. Bummers! I'll probably still get The Hunt anyway (and maybe CaPD).

_Man_

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
I realllllllly hope The Hunt For Red October is done right. Both DVD releases were disappointments in terms of picture quality.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I guess it does not matter if it is not in a box set. I am interested in all 4 films so I will most likely buy them as long as the transfer is good. If there where issues with the HD-DVD transfer and they just port that over to Blu-ray. Then I may have to pass on them if it affects the video quality enough. But Sum Of All Fears and Hunt For Red October with Dolby True HD, a really big plus! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
as Man-Fai mentioned, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these transfers all have DNR applied, Hunt and Patriot is not too bad but still way too much, CaPD is mild at worst case, Sum is simply putrid

this was based on the HD releases, I doubt new masters will be struck or that the DNR was added just for the HD release and is not in the master

-Gary

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So out of the 4 titles are any of them worth buying at this particular point in time. Gary I know that you said that Sum Of All Fears was horible and Clear And Present Danger did not look to good ether. But would you recomend getting ether Patriot Games or Hunt For Red October? Or would you recomend not buying any of them right now until they get the transfers fixed?

There are enough titles coming out so it is not like there is nothing else to buy. I would rather wait if the transfers are that bad even with the use of Dolby True HD audio mixes. Out of the four movies Red October, Clear and Present Danger and Sum Of All Fear are the most important for me. I can live without Patriot Games as I actually am not sure if I have ever seen the movie at all? I am sure it is a good movie and it would be nice to have all four Jack Ryan movies especially in HD.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
No DVD extras ported to BD = No Sale!

Use of DNR and EE also merits no sale!

When will these be released right on HD media disc?

And where the hell is Jack Ryan 5?! Oh, wait...

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
the first 3 are worth having if you love them, the TrueHD audio was great for sure, the biggest bother to me is Hunt because I like it so much, it is not really bad but it is not really good, lots of DNR :frowning:

the best of the bunch was Clear, next was Patriot, followed by Hunt, Sum was bad and I mean bad with DNR

-Gary

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
When DNR has been applied to a film and the viewer says it's putrid, is that to say ALL grain is gone and the film looks too clean? As in, the cleaner it is, the worse the transfer in the mind of the viewer?

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
To be fair, when most of them were released on DVD they were almost barebones. Here's the list of DVD extras.

The Hunt For Red October
Commentary By Director John McTiernan
Beneath The Surface-New Cast & Crew Interviews
Theatrical Trailer

Patriot Games
Patriot Games Up Close-New Cast & Crew interviews
Theatrical Trailer

Clear and Present Danger
Behind the Danger-New Cast & Crew Interviews
Theatrical Trailer

The Sum of All Fears
Commentary by the Director and Cinematographer
Commentary by the Director and Novelist
The Making of The Sum of All Fears
Creating Reality: The Visual Effects of The Sum of All Fears
Theatrical Trailer

Since they were never actually released on HD DVD, I don't know what they ported over to those, but it would be the same for the Blu-rays. In other words, it's not the fault of the format.

However, there is good news, since I'm hearing that "Patriot Games" might be an SE. No word yet on the others.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad these are being releasing individually, Red October is the one I want the most.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Patriot Games is a personal favorite, so I welcome an SE. I hope The Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger will also get one as well as I love these two.

As for the transfers, I finally broke down and asked for the Jack Ryan 3 Pack (containing the Special Collector's Editions) a few years ago for Christmas but Paramount needs to finally give them their proper due.

So far Paramount is off to a great start with the Jack Ryan franchise, IMO - Dolby TrueHD, all films being released separately (which means once again I don't have to purchase the awful The Sum of All Fears), and a possible special edition for Patriot Games. Please now don't screw up the video quality, and I would love to have all of the theatrical films in 1080p.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Detail gone, smeary, and then edge enhancement slapped on like mad to fudge the detail that the DNR eliminated. Unless Paramount went back to the drawing board for the Blu-ray versions (and I think there has probably been enough time to do so, and they certainly got heat about the handful of HD DVD sets that got out), this is one to avoid. We'll see whether they merited a new transfer, but I'm not counting on it.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

I'm just wondering because there are complaints about "Patton" having high frequency information" removed due to DNR, and yet it apparently boasts one of the sharpest, most detailed images out there for a catalog title. And there have been no complaints of edge enhancement. It is possibly to remove grain and (unfortunately) high frequency information through a method other than DNR?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Glad they are offered separately as well as I only want the first 3. Hunt For Red October remains in my top 20 films of all time. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
But will the set be more expensive than 3 of the separate versions?

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks