What's new

Paramount to release "Hondo" on Blu-ray in June - No 3D? (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So Paramount has officially announced that Hondo comes to Blu-ray on June 5th. This would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce a 50's era 3D movie on Blu-ray 3D, yet apparently it's just going to be 2D. What a missed opportunity. I'd love to see films like this where the 3D photography gave added depth to the image without the gimmicks.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Hondo is one of the top 5 stereoscopic films ever made. The stereopsis is state-of-the-art, then or now. It is absolute madness in this day and age to release a 3-D film flat when the technology to see it in 3-D is everywhere. The least they could do is offer consumers a 3-D option on the menu. Perhaps no other classic 3-D film could usher in the acceptance of the 3-D medium in home video more. Paramount could start something, instead of keeping it status quo.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I wholeheartedly agree. The quality of the stereoscopic cinematography on HONDO is superb. Plus, it was intended for 1.75 widescreen and should not be released in 1.37.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As restored elements have already been produced, there is no heavy lifting here.

Really not even worth discussing without 3D.

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Add my name to the chorus of people who think it foolhardy indeed to not offer a 3D option for this film.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Talk about a missed, totally bungled opportunity.
Infuriating. We've been waiting for catalog 3Ds we know and love, AND WILL BUY ... for how long?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Looks like Warner Home Video is the only company that is going to be attempting 3-D Blu-rays of catalog titles. Paramount, apparently, doesn't see a payoff in a 3D option in its classics. Indeed a lost opportunity.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Maybe since the John Wayne Estate owns the title, Paramount does not have the authority to release the 3D version. Or the Wayne Estate does no wish to pay for a transfer. The late Michael Wayne was the one oversaw the work of the titles, it was his widow and Patrick Wayne that made the deal with Paramount. Just a thought.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The release of Hondo (and other 50's 3D films) would probably drive me to actually have an interest in 3D television. Too bad they let this opportunity go by.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by David_B_K

The release of Hondo (and other 50's 3D films) would probably drive me to actually have an interest in 3D television. Too bad they let this opportunity go by.

We've been told that Warners has plans to release House of Wax and Dial'M' for Murder this year in 3D. Fingers crossed that this happens and is successful.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
If any representatives of Paramount were to read this, know I would have blind-purchased this title had 3D been an option. Now I'm not so inclined.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Craig_Ehr

If any representatives of Paramount were to read this, know I would have blind-purchased this title had 3D been an option. Now I'm not so inclined.

Same here. No question. It would have been an immediate buy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MattH.

For me as well. Without 3D, probably a rental.

Not for me, it's one of my favorite Duke films and I've never seen it in 3-D and that includes about 10-15 viewings. I understand why others are upset about the non-3D and though I would prefer that too, it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Crawdaddy

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
HONDO was conceived and photographed for 3-D, widescreen and color. We now have the capability of seeing it that way for the first time since the original theatrical release. Why settle for anything less? Bob

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Bob Furmanek said:
HONDO was conceived and photographed for 3-D, widescreen and color. We now have the capability of seeing it that way for the first time since the original theatrical release. Why settle for anything less? Bob
Exactly, Bob. The Amazon listing doesn't say if it's widescreen or not, but I have to guess it's the same full-frame format as the DVD. Too bad: no 3-D, no correct aspect ratio - this one's a pass. Why support a sub-par effort?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'll probably pick this up when it gets on sale. It will still be an upgrade over the DVD and I haven't seen it in a long time.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
ahollis said:
Maybe since the John Wayne Estate owns the title, Paramount does not have the authority to release the 3D version.  Or the Wayne Estate does not wish to pay for a transfer.  The late Michael Wayne was the one oversaw the work of the titles, it was his widow and Patrick Wayne that made the deal with Paramount.  Just a thought. 
You have a valid point. Gretchen Wayne, widow of Michael Wayne, is in charge of HONDO. She is not technology-oriented. My impression from speaking with her at the Academy screening in 2007 is that she was mis-informed of the facts about 3-D films and about HONDO in particular by digital 3-D companies who were competing for a theatrical distribution 3-D contract. It could have been screened in double-interlock at the Academy and at the DGA, instead she went with some unstable digital conversion, the details of which were kept proprietary, but it involved active shutter glasses with a red bias. It looked good on the screen, however. Bob Furmanek was in attendance that night. Double-interlock 35mm would have been a lot easier, and better quality. She may still be hoping for a theatrical release, or she may still be confused about how to convert the film. The elements are fine. There's nothing to be confused about. She should just let Paramount do a 3-D transfer, if they are willing, and not worry about it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Richard--W

You have a valid point.
Gretchen Wayne, widow of Michael Wayne, is in charge of HONDO. She is not technology-oriented. My impression from speaking with her at the Academy screening in 2007 is that she was mis-informed of the facts about 3-D films and about HONDO in particular by digital 3-D companies who were competing for a theatrical distribution 3-D contract. It could have been screened in double-interlock at the Academy and at the DGA, instead she went with some unstable digital conversion, the details of which were kept proprietary, but it involved active shutter glasses with a red bias. It looked good on the screen, however. Bob Furmanek was in attendance that night. Double-interlock 35mm would have been a lot easier, and better quality. She may still be hoping for a theatrical release, or she may still be confused about how to convert the film. The elements are fine. There's nothing to be confused about. She should just let Paramount do a 3-D transfer, if they are willing, and not worry about it.
I was there with you that evening, also.

A thrilling event.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks