What's new

Paramount to re-do "Godfather" DVDs (1 Viewer)

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I'm not at home right now, but can anyone tell me if the box is tall enough to hold a keepcase? The box is too slick to give up.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I wonder, if Lowry's going to remove the much discussed "ghost face" from the funeral scene. :) My guess is yes.

Chris

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
This really angers me. I shelled out alot of money for the boxset only to have them "do it right" 2 years later.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
On one hand I do agree that the picture is not great on the dvds, so I am glad they are being reodone. But then againg, I did buy the boxset and the exstras are nice.
I'll wait and see the reviews.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I'm not happy about this either. Hopefully they will offer some rebate or other incentive to encourage me to upgrade.

Ed, the box will accomodate two standard DVD cases, but you kind of have to push them in and it isn't nice looking.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wasn't making any direct reference to HTF comments.

The problems with articles of this type is that there are attributed and unattributed quotes.

My comments are always attributed. But there have been instances in the past where unattributed quotes are assumed to have come from me, when they have not.

If people are going to be questioned, they should live with their comments and not hide behind "archivist."

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
This is very unexpected. I think the current transfers are excellent. I didn't expect new transfer until HD-DVD.

Paramount really ought to be sinking their money into restoring the actual film elements of Godfather I & 2, which are in bad shape... unless the video clean-up is being done at 3000k or 4000k with the files output to 35mm?

Sunset Boulevard was done at 2000k with addional output to 35mm. What were those prints like?

I can't see me double-dipping on this, even though I love the films.

Gordy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The current DVD's are not perfect, but it's a waste of time for them to do a re-release at this point.

I'd rather see them put the money forward to have LDI refurbish the first two films ON FILM (at 4K).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun, you and me both. The moment I first read that the current transfers were subpar (in The Perfect Vision magazine), I passed up this boxset — also on the basis I didn't care to purchase Part III.

I just knew Paramount might end up redoing the films. My hunch proved prescient, and I am content to wait until next year to see these great films in a home theater.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am happy at the moment with the dvds I have so no need to upgrade unless some additional features make it worth it

:D

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm torn. I was going to buy the set that's out now, but now I'm not sure. I wonder what kind of extras will be included on the new restored discs, or if it will be similar in content to what we have now.
I am glad I put off buying it for so long.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I'm happy enough with the current sets. I watch these films maybe twice a year, so it's really not worth it to double dip.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I'm not much of a big fan of the movies to begin with. I got the boxed set because I felt as a film buff it was important to have some historically significant works especially with all the supplementary material. But as far as having to have the ultimate picture transfer, it's not necessary with me.

In a similar vein, I still haven't gotten the Superbit Lawrence Of Arabia, which I'd be more inclined to get all things considered.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I had the current set in my hands at Tower, and was going to purchase it until I saw the price they wanted for it(99.95!). Just the other day, I saw the set in Target for 59.99, but didn't have that much cash on hand so I purchased APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX for less than fifteen bucks instead.
Now I'm glad I didn't bother to get the current set. But it is a downer for those who did buy the current box, and I would be fuming if I did buy it.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The most interesting thing about the article for me is that John Lowry concedes that he went too far with grain removal on Citizen Kane.

DJ

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Gordon "This is very unexpected. I think the current transfers are excellent. I didn't expect new transfer until HD-DVD."

----

Actually thats what I think this is. They are doing the new transfers for HD-DVD, but of course they'll downconvert them to make some money by re-releasing the movies first onto regular dvd. I expect most top films have HD-DVD ready transfers by now, it makes sense to give them to Lowry so that this trilogy is ready for release on HD-DVD in approx 2006. I won't be upgrading my regular-def dvd boxset - my next godfather trilogy upgrade will be HD-DVD. It should be a top release - Lowry do excellent work.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Now I'm glad I didn't bother to get the current set. But it is a downer for those who did buy the current box, and I would be fuming if I did buy it.
Why? There is nothing wrong with the current set. It accurately represents the look of the film. The re-releases will probably just clean it up some and remove film grain and such, which should be there. But there is nothing defective with the orginals. On my setup, they look great and am happy that I've been able to enjoy them for two years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks