What's new

Paramount..Studio of Different Contrasts.. (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Namely for Color and B&W. Fateful that I would receive both my Mannix and Invaders sets today together, I have'nt watched any of those yet as I'm still catching up on Mission Impossible and others but what a Difference between how the studio treats B&W and Color Series. Both Mannix and Invaders have agreat set of Extra's and commentaries and Entire seasons on Disk. In Contrast I look at my Bare bones set of Gunsmoke and Rawhide and wonder way these equally, if not better (in all due respect to the less seen Invaders) series,are not treated with the same respect both are long running, if not franchise show, in the case of Gunsmoke, with many of the principles still with us from the cast if not the crew.

I Love paramount they are the best inthis Arena right now, but I wish they would give B&W series the respect they deserve.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

This seems to be less a case of black and white vs. color and more about the cult of folks interested in getting these DVDs done right. Both The Invaders and Mannix had fans get seriously involved in pushing for the releases. There was a hunt to find the 60 minute pilot from the Invaders. The Washington Post article helped push Mannix. In both cases, the lead actors were not merely alive, but active as actors so they didn't mind appearing on camera. Mission Impossible didn't get any bonus action and Hawaii Five-O's bonus feature is a special produced over a decade ago for a local Hawaiian TV channel. Cannon's not getting too much.

Far as Gunsmoke and Rawhide is concerned, seems only Clint Eastwood and James Arness are left from these early season casts. Has Arness done any interviews lately?

Don't get me wrong. it would be nice to get bonus features on The Untouchables, Rawhide, The Fugitive and Gunsmoke. But it almost seems their histories are better told in book form - or at least a good website.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
At least the picture quality of the B&W is as good, if not better, than the color releases.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
There are some really good special features on the Gunsmoke Anniversary Set Compilations and the Directors Set. I think they want you to buy these sets if you want the special features. Same thing happened on Perry Mason.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
ummm, you speak as if Paramount does a great job with it's color shows.

They didn't even put extras on the Charmed sets (except for the final, dismal season) and that show was still in production when seasons 1-5 came out. I mean, would it have been so hard to go to the set and ask Alyssa or Holly to come and give a five minute retrospective interview?

Taxi had zilch in the way of extras either, same with Happy Days, Laverne And Shirley and others

FrancisP

Screenwriter
With Paramount's classic tv releases, it seems they pick one set to put extras on. Wild Wild West had its extras in S1. Hogan's Heroes S2 had numerous extras. Perry Mason's extras had a seperate volume.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Happy Days does a reunion clip show every five years, you'd think they'd include one of those. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Embrywool
Recent bookmarks