What's new

Paramount : Star Trek TNG Packaging (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
To whom it may concern:

Although the announcement over at startrek.com pleases me (particularly that we'll get one season every other month) I am distressed at the packaging change from UK to US.

The packaging in the UK seems far more "special" than that of the US. Although the US packaging does look good (I would have liked it had I not seen the UK packaging first), I feel as if we are getting a bit less in the US.

Since TNG is a part of my collection that I've been looking to add since X-files season 1 arrived, I would love for it to stand out from the rest. Is there any way to reconsider the packaging?

One pro on the packaging : Unlike the UK packaging, it seems each season is color coded. I do like the deviation here. Early art showed a gradation from purple to light blue, and I think the purple for all seasons as indicated in the UK art was the single drawback.

Brian E

Screenwriter
The UK packaging is nice, but I find nothing really wrong with the R1 packaging. It's pretty classy looking IMO and if it gets us a full season for under $100 that's great. For me the best thing will be just having the show, packaging is secondary.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Yes, if the R1 packaging brings it in at under $100 it's fine with me. If R2 packaging wouldn't cause that than I'd prefer the R2 packaging, but I can imagine how all that plastic could be the most expensive part of the whole thing.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Martin,
You are the man. Your speed of responsiveness and your consistant quality of product always make me happy.
Let me change some of the nature of this thread based on your indication here.
I think the cases look great for the cost. Excellent even. And although I'd be more than happy to shell out just about any amount for TNG seasons on DVD, I'd be happier if 10,000 people bought this for under 100 than I get my wish and 1,000 people buy it at $150.
I ask you instead then: If the cases are appropriately sized, is it possible that we might be able to order the outer shell for our R1 collections seperately for those of us who wish to upgrade?
Regardless of your answer: You are losing no sales from me. I'm thrilled with the rollout plan, and will buy every season. You've got me. There are features that I would recommend that no doubt you will be hearing a lot of requests for over the next several months, but I'm locked in as long as video & audio are good :).
Thanks for your response. Once again: You rock :).

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I am loving the fact that we will be able to get these season sets every other month. Also the price is excellent. Thank You Paramount and Martin
I will reserve judgement on the packaging until I actually hold one in my hands. If the discs are held in cases like the Godfather then I will reprint them and insert them in their own keepcase. Or since there are keepcases available which hold 7 discs I may only make one cover.
As most of you who know me already know, I can't stand cardboard cases and find nothing appealing or special about packaging like Buffy and X-Files. But when it comes to Star Trek I would have purchased them if they came in a paper slipcase.
Thanks again Paramount and Martin for making available to us Star Trek The Next Generation season box set DVD's. Outstanding!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Mr. Blythe for your speed of reply. If I were you I'd just put a poll up on StarTrek.com "If you could buy this ultra-rugged, cool packaging to go with your TNG DVDs for about $X, would you?"
Just sell them through ST.com that way you make EVERYONE happy :)

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
Jeff, I wish...

Frank is right. John, why don't we all wait until after March 26 and then see what you have before we investigate any ideas about getting the R2 packaging thru some special arrangement. Interesting suggestion though.

Glad to see most people are responding favorably to the packaging.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Martin,
Thanks again for the reply. I'm more than happy to play with my R1 packaging for a while before looking at the R2 jackets :). Glad you thought about it/are thinking on it though!

Matt_P

Second Unit
Martin,

First off, let me say thank you to Paramount for assembling what appears to be an impressive DVD collection for one of the greatest television shows of all time. The response to customer demands (season box sets!), and the announcement of a rapid release schedule has made 2002 brighter for countless fans, myself included.

I find the packaging for both regions to be attractive and unique. Definitely very classy. However, I do have one gripe with the R1 box. Why did Paramount opt not to include the original Star Trek: TNG logo on the box art? I would greatly prefer the inclusion of the original typeset and logo. This would surely make the product more recognizable to a casual consumer. Any way this can be remedied?

Overall, an impressive job. I look forward to March!

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I am blushing like a school girl :b Martin said I was right.

Note to self: Print out this thread and show it to wife to prove to her I am right about some things.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
do we know that the R2 set definitely differs from the R1? Martin? Bare in mind this last one is the 3rd rendering we have seen (none appear to be photos yet ) of the set (2 from europe). Its not like online stores have jumped the gun before, ie the first 'render' that was put online.

Spero D

Second Unit
Mr Blythe- Looks like a great set. I like the packaging of the R1 version and will be purchasing the R1 version anyway but would also like to pick up the R2 covers as they look fantastic. If it is possible to have the R2 as an alternative or available as someone said through the website that would be a great option. If you could get the R2 covers in metal I would pay a premium for that much like the Bond Boxset available in R2.

Thanks again for you great work.

Spero D.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Frank, thanks for the links. I definately think I'm gonna try Tos in the 5 disk case, Sopranos in the 4, and TNG in the 7 disk case.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Martin, thanks to you and the other fine folks at Paramount for such a fan-friendly release price and schedule. I am ecstatic.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Paramount,
I'm VERY happy about how you're treating Star Trek: TNG. The packaging is fine, but more importantly, you're releasing seasons every other month. That's classy. Great job! I'll be preordering these in about 30 seconds :).
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks