What's new

Paramount silents on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
A Kiss for Cinderella (1925) was directed by Herbert Brenon, who also directed the silent films Laugh, Clown, Laugh (recently released by Warner in The Lon Chaney Collection), Beau Geste (1926), and Peter Pan (1924).

The late Robert Klepper waxes ecstatic about this film in his excellent book, Silent Films, 1877-1996: A Critical Guide to 646 Movies (1999). He writes that
With the subsequent changes in the copyright law, that last statement may no longer be true.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I do hope "Wings" comes out someday... sooner vs. later (hint, hint, Paramount).

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Stella Maris (1918) with Mary Pickford is another early Paramount available on DVD. Also Peter Pan (1924)directed by Herbert Brenon starring Betty Bronson(who also starred in A Kiss for Cinderella) is also available, yet another Paramount silent. Must be near the halfway point of those existing titles.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for pinch-hitting, Brian. :) I didn't have my copy of Klepper at hand to quote him so I was glad you did (and may I recommend that book HIGHLY to anyone interested in silent film--Klepper produced an invaluable work here; it's just too bad he didn't live to update it for the DVD age).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks