What's new

Paramount says "No Indy DVDs this year!" (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
My problem with that is that we are not talking about a film series that needs much promotion. These are three of the highest grossing films in history, perhaps the most popular movie star in this era, and one of the most famed directors ever.
Yes, but there is the younger generation..kids between 8-12, for example who know little about Indy. Also, quite possible many of the adults have forgotten about it. Just recently, my dad was asking me about "that movie with Ford and the whip."

The Star Wars special editions sort of did the same thing to promote Episode I. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a theatrical release of Raiders before the DVD comes out.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
Yes, but there is the younger generation..kids between 8-12, for example who know little about Indy.
Then if this is the case Paramount should think twice about making a film with a man who will be 61 or 62 when it sees the light of day. Because kids might not see what is such a big deal about an old man running around a jungle...

end rant...

-- Matt

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
This may sound corny, but is Paramount a publicly traded company?
No, not on its own it isn't. Paramount is part of Viacom, which also owns the CBS television network, MTV, VH1, Nick, TNN, and other cable channels, Simon & Schuster publishing, and Blockbuster Video.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Now that the first couple of films have been broadcast in HD, it is entirely possible that real, digitally transferred, 16:9 anamorphic bootlegs of them will show up.

The technology to record these broadcasts with a PC and convert them into DVD-standard MPEG2 already exists. We're not talking about recycled laserdisc transfers here, people.

The smart thing to do is release the freaking movies.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
FYI: At the Star Wars Celebration, when asked about Indy DVD's, Rick McCallum replied that it was dependent upon the greed of Paramount (this is the politically correct translation), and that Lucasfilm would love to put them out.

-Dave

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
At the Star Wars Celebration, when asked about Indy DVD's, Rick McCallum replied that it was dependent upon the greed of Paramount (this is the politically correct translation), and that Lucasfilm would love to put them out.
That's very interesting.

It's been speculated by members here that there has been quite a bit of behind-the-scenes "business" going on between Paramount and LucasFilm regarding the availability of these titles on DVD.

In fact, that's probably what led to DanR's congratulatory message to these two studios earlier in this thread.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
FYI: At the Star Wars Celebration, when asked about Indy DVD's, Rick McCallum replied that it was dependent upon the greed of Paramount (this is the politically correct translation), and that Lucasfilm would love to put them out.
That puts a different slant on things.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Rick McCallum replied that it was dependent upon the greed of Paramount (this is the politically correct translation)
This can be interpreted many ways. What's the plain-old-English, spill-your-guts, spell-it-out translation? What EXACTLY did Rick McCallum say?!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I would very much like to own Indy on DVD but I have so much good stuff in my collection with that much more on my coming soon list it's hardly worth getting upset over another delay. Worst case scenario I'll buy something else.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Joseph,

That is partially correct. Both companies are at fault.

Let's see, we have Steven Spielberg quoted as saying Paramount is part of the holdup on Indy 4. We have Rick McCallum now quoted as saying Paramount is greedy regarding Indy on DVD. There was a very solid rumor that some of the Indy franchise contracts were due for renewal late last year. Now, what do you people think is going on? Take two and call me in the morning...

Regards,

Dan

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
So the Indiana Jones trilogy won't come out this year, it'll come out next year and worse case scenario the year after that, what's the big deal?

I think as Americans we have a right to demand certain things like affordable health care, better schools etc. but do we have a right to demand that Paramount immediately release the Indiana Jone trilogy for our DVD collection? From the tone of some of these posts, one would think Paramount was withholding a cure for cancer. Lets put things in perspective guys!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
So the Indiana Jones trilogy won't come out this year, it'll come out next year and worse case scenario the year after that, what's the big deal?
Actually, we don't know at this point whether or not 2004 will be a "worse case scenario". If things between Paramount and LucasFilm regress to the point that the matter ends up in the hands of lawyers, then who knows? (Please remember that it was a rights dispute that kept Spider-Man out of the theaters for 10 years.)

The uncertainty is part of the problem here.

In the meantime, the DVD format has already been passed by from a technological perspective by the true HIDEF D-VHS with D-PICTURE format.

It could just be that by the time these films end up on DVD, we will think of anamorphic widescreen DVD the same way we think of VHS widescreen now.

And that would be a shame, because the DVD format, with a current penetration of 31 million dedicated players in just over 5 years, deserves these films to be available while it's still considered the premiere Home Video format. For many people, DVD will never be considered a legitimate HT enthusiast format until these films (along with the Original Star Wars Trilogy) are available. Please remember that LD never got much above 2 million players in use at any one time in this country, and yet that format never had to beg for these movies. (Well ... At least not to this extent.)

Is this as important as a Cure for Cancer? Of course not.

But from a HT enthusiast perspective, it's not too far behind.

Ivan_F

Grip
I can see, to a certain extent why these sought-after DVDs would be delayed if legal problems were the culprit. That being said, if they are being held up due to features being prepped up or similar things along those lines, do what studios have been doing to us customers for years and double-dip. Keep some of us happy by releasing these long-sought DVDs in a featureless or barebones version first, with the announcement of a special edition to come later. That way, you 1) eliminate many irate customers by getting the movies out in a timely fashion, and 2)give us something less heated to talk about on these forums (they did double-dipped on us, rather than talking about the studios holding out on us indefintely). Hey, they did it for Lord of the Rings...
I agree, without these particular releases, DVD will not be considered an acceptable movie presentation format.

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I was in the McCallum spectacular Friday when someone asked about the Indiana Jones dvd's. Mr. McCallum was obviously trying to hold himself back when he spoke of Paramount. I can't remember it word for word, but he stammered around trying to find civil words to say and finally ended up with greed. He also said you wouldn't believe the people at paramount.
I'm just the messenger so don't shoot. :)

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I don't understand these studio's logic when it comes to releasing titles that people would literally kill for to have on DVD. I mean, it can't be financial strategy because what's the difference if they get your money now or later? To me, it would make more sense to get the money now because you could at least earn interest on it. I must be a fool, because all this time I thought their main goal was to run a profitable business.

The Indiana Jones and Star Wars Trilogies have become the Holy Grail of DVD and all these studios are doing is aggravating their customers. Seems like bad business tactics to me. I know they can't satisfy every customer, but they would sure satisfy a whole hellava lot of um if they would just release the above named movies. They could charge $40 dollars for a bare bones disc and still sell a ton.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Thomas,

Please keep those type of condescending "perspective" comments to yourself. We know full well what we're talking about here, and if there's anybody that trivialized anything it was you by bringing cancer down to the level of Indiana Jones DVDs.

Believe me, while I have been quite vocal about this Indy DVD thing, I unfortunately have more perspective on this than anybody would ever want. Three close women to me have died of breast cancer over the years (including my first cousin at the age of 32), a friend of mine died of colon & lung cancer this past March, a friend of mine will be wheeling her mother (who is in her second bout with ovarian cancer in her 60's) around in a wheelchair at her own MBA Graduation in two weeks (but at least her Mom will see her graduate), my best friend's Mom is having her thyroid removed on May 16 (thyroid cancer), and two of my uncles in their late 60's are getting over prostate cancer (thankfully the outlook on these two looks good).

So, let's get back on Indiana Jones on DVD (or lack thereof) and stop trying to be devil's advocate here (and trivializing something so horrible in the process), ok?

Regards,

Dan

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

I don't want this thread to take a nasty turn as I prize courtesy, civility and good manners quite highly. It was not my intent to trivialize illness of any sort and though you have my sympathies on your losses, who among us hasn't lost loved ones to illness and other tragedies? I myself have lost family members and friends to cancer (ovarian and lung), leukemia, AIDS, diabetes, massive heart attacks, hit and run accidents (driver never caught) and suicide.

It's the most difficult part of life and we deal with it and you are not the only one.

Unless I am misinformed, this forum is a place where we can freely voice our opinions (obscenities or racist remarks notwithstanding) and telling other posters to keep their opinions to themselves seems to defeat the very purpose of this forum.

As far as your remark that "we" know full well what we're talking about ... now who's being condescending? Your implication being that I don't?

In my opinion, if I am still allowed one, you overreacted considerably.

Now ... let's bury the hatchet and get back on topic .... the movies!

Regards,

Thomas T.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Well ...
We are getting multiple confirmations now that principal photography for Indy 4 will begin in just a month!
This has got to be considered very good news as far as getting some Indy DVD's at least within the next two years or so ... (Logic would dictate that they would either be released very close to the theatrical release of Indy 4 or as a boxed set with the Indy 4 DVD.)
Also, it now appears that the statement that Rick McCallum was attributed to at the AOTC Celebration may have been more about the Young Indy TV Series than about the theatrical Indy films. Apparently he was asked about both simultaneously.
I suppose we just need to take a deep breath and hold on ...
(Please note that this doesn't alter my opinion that these films should have been released to the DVD format long before now. I'm simply a little more optimistic that we may see them before the format has moved past it's prime.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks