Paramount says "No Indy DVDs this year!"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Bolus, May 5, 2002.

1. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

This just in from The Digital Bits:

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

*sigh*

Are these people allergic to money?

3. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Look, I don't care when these come out. I'd rather wait...they'll be worth the wait, trust me.

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Ricardo_C,

LOL! I wonder that myself.

While in Best Buy today a woman asked a blue shirt idiot if they had Indiana Jones on DVD and the BSI said that its not out in Oklahoma yet, but Texas has it....no joke. That was so bad and the fact that the other woman believed it made it worse, I couldn't jump in and correct that.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Martin Blythe stated no Indy dvds this year in this HTF thread on Friday.
    Crawdaddy

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I personally sent Bill Hunt an e-mail pointing him (and cc:ed Ron Epstein, too) toward that thread Crawdaddy mentions. He might have found it anyway, but since The Bits have been strong on RotLA rumors for "this year", I wanted Bill to know what Martin was saying over here.

7. Jeremiah W

Jeremiah W Stunt Coordinator

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Well, with BTTF, Episode II, and E.T. coming to DVD this year, I would surmise that Amblin and Lucasfilm are just a little bit busy. Plus, I'd hate to see the Indy movies on DVD without a lot of participation from the cast and crew.
    I don't know where Paramount stands on DTS, but Speilberg is a big supporter of DTS...perhaps if they come out NEXT year, there will be a better chance of DTS. [​IMG]

9. Joseph Bolus

10. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

"Look, I don't care when these come out. I'd rather wait...they'll be worth the wait, trust me."

What like Episode I was ?

I would have preferred a bare bones release and that would have including leaving off the excessive EE

My guess is they've finished the extras, we're just having to wait two more years for them to add heaps of edge enhancement so we're then obliged to buy the next version/format whenever they get round to releasing that!

11. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

This is not really "new" news. But I guess I'd like to take this opportunity to once again extend my gratitude to the companies involved with this franchise:

Good job Lucasfilm and Paramount. We love you guys. Keep up the great work on the Indiana Jones DVDs. Indiana Jones fans the world over are absolutely jumping with joy that 6 years into the DVD format, we cannot watch the Indiana Jones trilogy on the best format available. Hey, it's not like they're very popular movies or anything. I guess we'll just have to wait until next year...again. Then around 2nd quarter of next year, you can tell us again: "No Indy on DVD in 2003." We appreciate that you guys are consistent from year-to-year with the same response over and over, it really eliminates the guess work invovled. On behalf of your fans, Thank You.

Regards,

Dan

12. Jeremiah W

13. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

This may sound corny, but is Paramount a publicly traded company? If so, if anyone here knows a stockholder who holds over 1000 shares of Paramount stock, they should be able to ask for a proxy vote, maybe wording it along the lines that "Paramount should more aggressively persue the profitable DVD market, in particular relating to catalog blockbuster titles such as Indiana Jones." I may be crazy, but there just might be a way to force the issue if Paramount owns the rights. If Lucas owns the rights, all bets are off since he has made sure he can never be pressured by public shareholders.

It cracks me up that Jack Valenti and the MPAA, along with the RIAA, continue to complain about low profits and rampant piracy when they themselves are the root of many of their own problems. Our wallets are ready to buy this stuff folks, if you would simply get off your arse and release it!

Rich

14. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

With E.T. and Duel out this year, I guess all parties do not want to oversaturate the market. The holiday season is going to be stuffed with great releases like Spiderman and Attack of the Clones. Oh, and Back to the Future, so the decision not to release the Indy films this year is a good one, it's now a given that they will be out next year.

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

This news about Indy not coming this year doesn't surprise me. I said it once and I will say it a again: I am willing to bet Indy doesn't come out on DVD until we are very close to Indy 4. The DVDs will be used as a tool to market, promote, and revive Indiana Jones. I bet the DVD will be released 6-12 months before Indy 4.

16. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

My problem with that is that we are not talking about a film series that needs much promotion. These are three of the highest grossing films in history, perhaps the most popular movie star in this era, and one of the most famed directors ever.

It is not like it is going to take alot of convince Mr. and Mrs. America to pony up $8.00 to see Indy 4 (if it ever happens), or $75 to buy a three dvd pack (if that ever happens).

And referring to the possible saturation of the market with Lucas and Amblin films in the 3rd and 4th quarter of this year... DVD has displayed time and time again that people buy more quantities of titles than any other medium before, and all the titles listed with the possible exception of Duel (on a mass markert basis) will sell tons of copies, and I am sure the average consumer would love the opportunity for them to give Paramount, Lucas, and Speilberg another c-note or so.

End of rant...

-- Matt

17. Ivan_F

Ivan_F Extra

This is my first post on HTF, thanks for the invite.[​IMG]
    There's a fine line between enthusiastic fanatics and angry consumers, and that's when you make people wait for your product with little or no plausible explanation. They say they they're going to wait until everything is right...do what the other studios do and double-dip. Put out a featureless or bare-bones release and then when you're good and ready put out your SE crammed-to-the-gills DVD. That way, people can get angry at studios for the more conventional things like releasing 2 versions of a movie within a brief time span vs. holding out sought-after movies. Just my $.02[​IMG]

18. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I am getting closer and closer to crossing that fine line and becoming an angry consumer.

-- Matt

19. Jeremiah W

20. Joseph Bolus