Paramount - Save Ferris !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Claire_B, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Claire_B

Claire_B Agent

Hi Paramount,

I own both Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Planes, Trains and Automobiles DVD's and everytime I watch them, I want more.

I was very happy to hear Mr. Hughes give a commentary for Ferris Bueller's Day Off, It was great.

Both Ferris Bueller and Planes, Trains and Automobiles are classic movies of the 80's

I would love to have a commentary track on PTA and Deleted scenes etc

And A documentary on Ferris Bueller's Day Off, commentary with Ferris himself and deleted scenes.

PTA SE DVD would be a great memorial for the late Mr. Candy.

Are SE's of these movies in the works, Or can we expect them someday ?

Thanks For Your Time

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Planes... definately needs an SE (The current disc doesn't have a great transfer and is bare-bones.)

Ferris, on the other hand, is a great DVD! It already has a trailer and a John Hughes commentary.

I'm predicting if Paramount starts doing re-issues, they'll start with the titles that have lackluster discs.

They should, though, release some stuff not on DVD first...like their silents!

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The R1 release of Ferris Buellers Day Off does not have a trailer due to rights issues with the music.

4. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Ha, thus another example of how Paramount seems to have the hardest time with music rights, though at least they didn't mess up anything in the actual movie (that I'm aware of!) I've heard the trailer is really good, but guess I'll have to find a 35mm copy of it. The deleted scenes would've been great to see too, but at least the DVD got the aspect ratio right- Paramount's bargain-priced $39.99 laserdisc had it in 1.85 (this was shot in Super 35 so there wasn't really any picture lost, but still annoying especially at that price!) It was hoped the trailer would've been on the laserdisc, too.

BTW anyone read the novelization of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off?" In addition to several non-existant scenes, there's a few darker and philosophical moments provided by our friend Cameron.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Lack of extras, yes, but the video and audio are great. The transfer is the star of a DVD.

7. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I do see your point Patrick but I think that's an 'old' attitude. This is DVD: The video and audio should be great. If they're outstanding we should mention it; if they're below par we should mention it. Otherwise it should be a 'given'. This is simply what I would hope any DVD should be as a minimum.
    I have yet to be very impressed with Paramount beyond the Godfather set. In this country, certainly, they have a habit of releasing classic movies as vanilla discs at the same price as a premium feature-filled one and I find that VERY irritating.[​IMG]

8. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Okay, I've held off on buying Ferris forever because I had a question I never got around to asking about. Here seems a good a place as any to ask it. I heard that there was a deleted bong scene included on the laser disc, but I've never got any real confirmation on that. I heard it was at Ferris' house, just before they went out.

My questions are, does that scene in fact exist, and did it make it to dvd?

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

There's no deleted scenes on the laserdisc or DVD. I haven't heard anything about this scene; it wasn't in the book.

10. Wade_W

Wade_W Auditioning

I'd REALLY like the see all the deleted scenes with the younger brother & sister. The younger sister was even in the trailer - but of course, that wasn't included on the DVD. Too bad they didn't keep them in the movie - as I thought, from the screenplay, their scenes were quite amusing.

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

It's implied she's there, by the drawings on the refrigerator. She's mentioned in the commentary but was cut out.

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'm reviving this thread to beg Paramount to release a SE version of Ferris. I was really let down by the quality of the transfer. I can't believe a film with such a cult following received such poor DVD treatment.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm very pleased with the quality of the DVD, especially considering the original VHS release (pan and scan, old Paramount logos replaced with 75th Anniversary, and end credit sequence changed so picture fills the screen rather than being on the left with credits scrolling on the right) and the reissued laserdisc which fixed most of the problems of the first release but still in a wrong aspect ratio!

15. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

To question Dave: what is wrong with the transfer? You'd better be very specific or I'm going to say you don't know what you're talking about. No plans to reissue either title SE.

16. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Yeah, Dave, what are you talking about?! The video looks amazing for a 15-year-old movie. Extremely detailed, anamorphic, all-around great video quality. Only thing it's missing is more extras! [​IMG]