1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Paramount: Regarding "Star Trek V" DVD re-release

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    [​IMG]
    I'd like to suggest that Paramount strongly consider giving "Star Trek V" a make-over ala "The Motion Picture" when the time comes for a DVD re-release (2003?)
    The story behind the film's problems are well known (bad FX, etc) and I feel it would be in Paramount's best interests (financially speaking) if they went back and re-did the FX shots and perhaps re-incorporate deleted footage for an all new "director's cut". Give Shatner a chance to make it a better film because as it stands now, well, it's not very good and is certainly not a universally loved film among fans of the franchise. In fact, I have a hard time imagining anything less than a new version of the film for a re-issue will help sales all that much, a bad film is a bad film regardless of how many extras you can throw on a 2 disc set.
    Now I'm not saying a new version will make "Star Trek V" a masterpiece but it would certainly be better than it's current form.
    NOTE: I wanted to include a poll for this thread but couldn't figure out how to add one. Perhaps a moderator would be kind enough to include one so that Paramount could have a better grasp of what HTF's members feel about the subject?

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

3. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Moving this thread to the "siberia" of HTF[​IMG] kinda ruins the whole "Let's get an accurate count of all HTF members to weigh in" thing doesn't it?

4. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    I passed on the original release for obvious reasons. If the re-release was not merely a special edition, but a director's edition, I would definitely pick it up.

5. Dave Simkiss

Dave Simkiss Stunt Coordinator

Dave Simkiss
    Shatner had such good intentions when he was making this film, I say - give him a chance to finish it properly.