What's new

Paramount: Regarding "Star Trek V" DVD re-release (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

I'd like to suggest that Paramount strongly consider giving "Star Trek V" a make-over ala "The Motion Picture" when the time comes for a DVD re-release (2003?)
The story behind the film's problems are well known (bad FX, etc) and I feel it would be in Paramount's best interests (financially speaking) if they went back and re-did the FX shots and perhaps re-incorporate deleted footage for an all new "director's cut". Give Shatner a chance to make it a better film because as it stands now, well, it's not very good and is certainly not a universally loved film among fans of the franchise. In fact, I have a hard time imagining anything less than a new version of the film for a re-issue will help sales all that much, a bad film is a bad film regardless of how many extras you can throw on a 2 disc set.
Now I'm not saying a new version will make "Star Trek V" a masterpiece but it would certainly be better than it's current form.
NOTE: I wanted to include a poll for this thread but couldn't figure out how to add one. Perhaps a moderator would be kind enough to include one so that Paramount could have a better grasp of what HTF's members feel about the subject?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Moving this thread to the "siberia" of HTF;) kinda ruins the whole "Let's get an accurate count of all HTF members to weigh in" thing doesn't it?

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I passed on the original release for obvious reasons. If the re-release was not merely a special edition, but a director's edition, I would definitely pick it up.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Shatner had such good intentions when he was making this film, I say - give him a chance to finish it properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks