What's new

Paramount recalls and re-releases 'The Jack Ryan' collection (1 Viewer)

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe Paramount with throw in an extra disc for each Jack Ryan film with the extras then repress the first disc with any audio commentaries added. Wishful thinking but we'll have to wait and see.

Manus

Second Unit
" Maybe Paramount with throw in an extra disc for each Jack Ryan film with the extras then repress the first disc with any audio commentaries added. Wishful thinking but we'll have to wait and see. "

That would do me but I'm not convinced they'll do the honourable thing though I hope I'm wrong . Here in Europe it cost me >$79 delivered so It'll take quite a bit to make me happy :frowning:

~M~

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Thomas, do you really believe that they will repress new DISKS with all features they mentioned on package ? or they simply make new package hmm

Marek

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I don't know, and certainly no one on this forum does either. But the new packaging might cost more than the disk. Bottom line, as I said, lets wait until the announce the re-release. And again, this was caught before it was sold, so either way, the consumers have not been harmed, other than a delay in getting the disks. If Paramount decides to release with new packaging and without features, any one who had it ordered can reevaluate their purchasing choice. Seems to me like much is being made out of little with this issue.

As a side note, my guess is that the most vocal complainers had not even had the set ordered.:laugh:

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I'm not sure where there is much of a question about what Paramount is going to do. In the recall notice, Paramount stated the packaging was in error, not the discs. I suppose they could change their minds down the road, but it seems pretty clear that if they are pointing the finger at erroneous packaging, than that is what they plan on "fixing".

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Who says they need to repress 4 disks. They could opt to place the extras on a seperate DVD.

This whole thread is getting old. Every possibility has been conjectured to death. The only thing to do is wait and see. When Paramount states what they are going to do, everyone can make their mind up whether or not to buy. Don't see any problem.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Have you ever priced 4 color package printing? It could easily cost more per unit than pressing an HD DVD. However re mastering a new HD DVD adding the extras might cost more. Unless of course the new masters are already done.

Doug

LarryH

Supporting Actor

I'll be interested in seeing if Amazon's 10% deal is still in effect when this is re-released. Since Amazon unilaterally canceled my order for this just because of a delay, I guess they hope to avoid the extra discount when (and if) I reorder.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I agree with you, Doug. More to point is that the cost of scrapping the entire initial pressing would be nothing for Paramount to absorb. We are only talking about a few 1000 sets, not millions, or 10's of thousands for that matter. For public perception, it might be much cheaper for Paramount to redo all of the disks with the special features listed on the packaging rather than let the negatives build. The decision will not come down to what is cheaper to do without taking into consideration the negative press their decision will make.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I thought..............

Why keep dredging this up when nobody knows what they're going to do?

If they come back with a repackaging instead of a repressing then no matter how hard you rub you're not going to be able to polish this turd.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
What ever, Jim. Spoken with true wisdom and foresight.:laugh: But you are right. No matter what Paramount does with regards to this they will never redeem themselves to the BD camp out there that haven't gotten over the BD snub from Paramount a few months back.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I was one to receive this set before it was recalled.
PQ is mixed depending on the movie.
Red October looked awesome and sounded even better. The TrueHD track is superb on all these movies.
Sum of All Fears was a mess PQ-wise. Audio was great.
Patriot Games looked and sounded very good.
Clear and Present Danger was the best of the four. PQ was top notch. Right up there with A Few Good Men on Blu for catalog titles.
I can't say enough about the TrueHD track though. I heard things in these movies I had never heard before.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Pressing of the HD-DVD is not the issue. Full authoring is. There are several phases to such a task, and it costs MUCH more than packaging.

Yes, they could make a new fifth disc, but I find that very unlikely. The 3+ years of experience I've had in the industry tells me they will be changing the packaging, nothing more.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

I think you need to give folks more credit. I think it's clear why people might be pissed off. Paramount is expecting people to buy these titles again but giving them less (content wise) than they got last time. It's fairly simple reasoning if you ask me.

You just wait until all the Trek films come out bare-bones.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Using logic and reasoning like that won't work with him John. ;)

For some people it's all about waving their pom-pom's for their preferred format and content/presentation quality be damned, it just doesn't matter. and of course anyone who dares criticize something like this fiasco must be from the "other camp". :laugh: Looks like brain cells are yet another casualty of the format war.

Manus

Second Unit
Really sharp downturn in the tone of this thread for no worthwhile reason :)

AQ/PQ can be debated more fully when Paramount get off their butts and make their intentions known . Why not throw a little angst their way ? They dump BD and give themselves another month to work on it and still bugger up this release . I guess everybody who mattered was working on 'Transformers ' :)

~M~

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

If Paramount (or Fox/MGM for that matter) continues to drop extras in their HD-releases, I don´t see that I´ll be "cheering" for them. And this comes from the "formal neutral" person. Give me extras (along with good transfer/audio of course) and I´ll be happy. Hell, I´m even willing to pay some "extra" (=Fox-releases).

It´s simply a fact, that Paramount hasn´t proven much yet, after their "HD DVD-deal". Sure sure, "Transformers" was the s**t and all that, but I haven´t seen that much where we fans should really "cheer" or something. Basic, "bare bones" HD-releases. Is that enough? Yes? Then fine. I personally need more. I know that I said some positive things about Fox in the past, but at least some of their releases keep the extras.

But - I guess we should ask that were those Paramount-releases always that "great" before their "HD DVD"-deal? I´m not really sure. At least they were often lacking lossless-tracks, just like now.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I found a copy of the set yesterday at Wal~Mart for $49.99. I figured it's a steal at that price so I tried to buy it (extras are pointless to me) but the register read, 'Item not allowed for sale'. This morning the set was back on the shelf. :rolleyes

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
As the change was less than two months ago,I think Paramount has done a fairly good job, and getting better, as Transformers proves. As far as the comment on Fox, how many stripped down catalog releases have they made and priced at 40.00. Give me a break.

Sense the BD changeover, Paramount/DreamWorks has released:

Blades of Glory (with special features) PQ 4 out of 5, AQ 4 out of 5
Next (with special features) PQ 4 out of 5, AQ 4 out of 5
Top Gun (No Special Features) PQ 4 out of 5, AQ 4 out of 5
Face/Off (Dual disk with Special Features) PQ 9 out of 10, AQ 10 out of 10
Transformers (Dual disk with Special Features) PQ 5 out of 5, AQ 5 out of 5

This is hardly a bad track record. Note I didn't include The Jack Ryan collection because it was pulled prior to release.

By the way, a lot of us are format neutral, but that doesn't mean our bias doesn't show. My preference in HD DVD, your's is BD maybe? No problem there at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks