What's new

Paramount recalls and re-releases 'The Jack Ryan' collection (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Seems that Paramount was quick to resopnd to the issues surrouding 'The Jack Reyan' collection and the missing special features.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
If you notice from the text of Paramount's email to retailers, they have termed the screw up as 'typographical errors on the packaging'. I am willing to bet Paramount will simply repackage the discs rather then remaster and produce new HD-DVDs.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Yes, PR nightmares do seem to increase response time. ;) Anyway, great, I guess. I don't enjoy any one of these movies enough to own them, but I feel sorry for those that do and wanted the special features. I even feel worse for those that sold their DVD editions.

Also, I know that Paramount is not alone in slighting the HDM consumer, as I am greatly disappointed at Sony in delaying The Life of Brian; but I'm purple, damn it, so I intend to criticize all the studios. :D

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Paramount is turning out to be an outright disaster for HD-DVD.

After announcing these films with the features, they should make sure these films are eventually released with them, no exceptions. If they don't, those who actually have the films have no incentive to return their copies unless you just want proper packaging. How the hell could this have happened? If I were a rep at Toshiba, I'd make a call to them and say "you guys need to get your sh*t together." It's bad enough that they release less in HD than any other major studio, but now they can't seem to get right the little they do release.

From "we didn't have enough space" on the Transformers (somewhow Warner seems to Have space for lossless on 3 hour + films) even after adding a 2nd disc for HD content. Now Arctic Story has been announced with NO LOSSLESS and very minimal features. Space is starting to look less and less like the reason for these exclusions.

c'mon, Get it together Paramount!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Most definitely. From Paramount's POV, the error is with the packaging and not the discs. In other words, they knew they weren't putting the features on the discs but the text on the box slipped through the cracks.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I will wait for the new announcement from Paramount as to what is going to be on the disks. At this point, between the link I posted and the memo to the retailers, we are dealing only with the PR/marketing branch of Paramount, not the decision makers. Time will tell.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Paramount has become as handy an exclusive studio to have for HD DVD as Fox was for Blu-Ray up until about 3 weeks ago. I'm half scared we're going to find out that Face/Off has been strip-mined as well.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Paramount/Dreamworks just released the most awe inspiring HDM release to date in Transformers, how quickly we turn.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I'm sorry, but this notion of loyalty to a studio, whichever side of the format war they fall on, is ridiculous. I owe the studio a certain price for the disc and that's where my obligation ends.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Just vote with your wallet. For every release (regardless of studio or format) if you think it's a good value and you want it buy it. If not them don't.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I am holding it in my hand. It is a 2 disc Collectors edition. There are two discs in the box. According to the box all the special features are in HD: 7 deleted scenes including an alternate ending, trailer, John Woo: A life in pictures, and the making of. Also has commentary. DTS 6.1 and 5.1 DD+ EX sound.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Without the extras I'm certainly voting no. I'm getting sick of featureless releases and the prices they try to command. Given the recent BOGO and half-off deals I'm more inclined to simply wait a few months and pick them up for ~$12. Hopefully the studios will get the message soon...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
After purchasing almost 300 HD and BD disks and I am beginning to get alot more selective with my wallet. $40.00 for any catalog reissue is too much, and I will begin to hold off. With the issue on the Paramount Jack Ryan collection, I am not sure what the final resolution will be, so I pulled my order from amazon. When the title is announced again, I will make my decision.

Certain for a retail cost of 25.00 a movie, and an Amazon price of under 15.00 a movie, the special features on these releases will probably not be a make or break for me.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
That is almost what the current (before being yanked) Amazon price was with a Prime discount (52.99 for the set of 4 movies or about 13.00 per movie). Without the Prime discount the price per movie was about 14.50. These are cheap releases for HD.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

No offense here, but is this "Transformers" some kind of holy grail of movies and HD, when people rave about it in every single thread? I mean let´s be serious here; This type of Michael Bay blockbuster would look great (in terms of A/V), regardless of the studio AND HD-format. In this case, it´s owned by Paramount/Dreamworks, that´s all.

I still hope that Paramount will do the right thing with this Jack Ryan-set and there´ll be extras. Sadly, I haven´t got much faith.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
And yet the AQ if reference material. Guess there are some that base judgement on what they hear, and some that base judgement on the specs on the package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks