Paramount price reductions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Simpson, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

With Paramount reducing their prices a little on some of their DVD's, the question I have is this. Should I go for the Non-anamorphic Top Gun which is said to be "ok" in video and audio or does anyone know of a SE planned? Thought I read about one, but I'm not sure. Anyone who knows, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    I honestly know nothing about a Top Gun SE in the works. But, I will answer your question this way: If $20 doesn't mean a hell of alot to you, buy it now and enjoy it. If it does, then I'd probably wait it out a while longer.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Go ahead and get Top Gun now. It's a hell of a good movie, and will be okay enough on the quality to get you by. It really DOES need an SE version, but to date Paramount just does not do much in the way of reissues. In fact, the upcoming ST2: The Wrath Of Khan is the first DVD double-dip from Paramount that I can think of right now!! So, if you wait for an SE of Top Gun, you might be waiting a loooooong time!

4. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

You may wish to consider the R2 / R4 PAL versions if capable of playing them. They are both anamorphic but no extras, picture and sound quality of the R2 is fine but nothing to shout about.

5. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

Sam's Club has the Paramount reduced price discs for $13.00 ($12.98 or there abouts).

At that price, most are a pretty decent deal, and some even sport an anamorphic transfer. Airplane I & II come to mind, and there are others as well.