What's new

Paramount Press Release: Star Trek TOS Season One (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Glad to see others are also seeing the price reduction at Amazon.

This is only the second time I've preordered (third if you count the movie set that has also gone down since I preordered). The first was 2010 and, even though it kept showing a delivery date two days after street (I have Prime....one of the best and worst thing I've ever done), it shipped early and I got it on the street date. I'm hoping history repeats itself.

I imagine this latest decrease was probably caused by BB reducing their price. Of course, BB still loses out for me because (as of now) I don't have to pay tax to Amazon.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Thanks for the info on the new price drop.

Another $8 back in my pocket.

I hope anyone who said these are priced too high will shut up forever.

Considering the content & quality and the iconic nature of Trek season 1---this is a flat-out bargin.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Well, I would love to jump on TOS S1, but I already have the HD-DVD set and don't want to get stuck with two sets. It's too bad that Paramount won't offer the same disc swap program that Warner is offering - especially on a big release like this.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Even if Paramount did offer such a swap, it's not a 1-for-1 exchange; maybe they'd be nice like Warners with the Matrix Trilogy and offer a "free" upgrade, but there's no reason to assume they would.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

I certainly wouldn't expect a 1 for 1 exchange, just SOMETHING (example: Paramount can send you a voucher to save on one of the TOS Blu-ray sets or something along those lines).

However, I know Warner is pretty much alone among studios when it comes to deals like this. Afterall, this is Trek and they probably know that they don't have to do this since it'll probably sell regardless.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Plus Paramount isn't exactly known for their customer service or friendliness toward Trek fans. In addition, first week sale prices are pretty dang good...Amazon (right now) and BB (starting Tuesday), for instance.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if there was a voucher for the HD-DVD owners for a discount on the S1 or future sets. I agree with Jason, the pricing for the BD set is a lot better. And much more reasonable then the $217 price Best Buy had for the HD-DVD set! What a deal, the HD-DVD set had 2 versions, HD and SD. Here we get hi def of broadcast and remastered. But I am holding onto the HD-DVD set for the SD versions.

One thing we have to be clear on here. Paramount is no longer in charge of TV product. CBS is now. And since CBS took over, the prices for the last Remastered sets of Season 2 and 3 on standard def and TAS were priced lower. No longer were they $100 a season, they were in the range of $60 a season. And TAS was less of course.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I could be completely mistaken, but I thought the BD set had both TOS and TOS-R...? Or is that not what you mean?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if I misled or misspelled. The new BD set does have both the original broadcast version with original effects and the new remastered CGI effects and both in hi-def.

The difference with the old set was that it had an SD and HD version of the remastered episodes.

So this BD set is really nice to include the original effects.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
*phew* I've been slowly selling off the 3 season sets I have for the BD and the ONLY way I would have done that was if the original episodes were included. Good to know I'm not getting that old! :D

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Speaking for myself, BD's are not as portable and sharable at this point as I am the only one I know that has a Blu ray player.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So CBS thinks they can do just as well or better by selling more product at a lower price, while Paramount was happy selling fewer units at a (much) higher price. Three cheers to CBS. If Paramount was still in charge, I guess I wouldn't be buying this set either.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I bought the HD-DVD set for $50, and sold it last week on Amazon for $45.

I signed up for the Amazon Visa and will get a $30 rebate on purchasing the BD, so I'm coming out ahead on the deal!

Doug

Edit: I forgot to mention: I sold the DVD set for $40 on Amazon in February, so I'm really ahead! Well, not really, if you factor in the original cost of that set. But when you factor in the months of viewing, then I'm OK. I hope to do the same w/ seasons 2 and 3 closer to when they're released on BD.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Looking forward to this, especially with all the great reviews. I saw The Menagerie on the big screen back in Nov. '07, and it was a treat. Never caught all of the remastered versions so it will be fun to see them, but the real goal here is preservation of the original broadcasts, which I am sure look better than they ever did on TV. Hell, the 2004 DVDs look better than any broadcast I ever saw.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

That's an option.

Sadly, some of my discs have small scratches on them, eventhough they all play fine. Due to the VERY poor ergonomics of this set (the primary reason why I want to get the BD), most of the discs shipped appeared to have had scratches of some sort on the surface. I remember many complaints regarding this issue from HTF members at the time, now it has come back to haunt me.

I'll likely ending up getting the BD set anyway. I'm sure I'll find some way of loading the HD-DVD set at some point.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

When I was packaging up the HD-DVD set to sender to the buyer, I noticed a huge scratch on the DVD side of disc 1. I don't remember if I ever played that side. I sent him a special e-mail, explained, and asked him to contact me if he has problems w/ it, but I haven't gotten any response yet.

I think those dual-sided discs are easier to damage.

Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised by all the posts about scratches on this HD-DVD hybrid set and other HD-DVD hybrid discs. I bought my HD-DVD set from a store and it was pristine. I've played these discs a few times, and recently, only the SD side, and they've been fine. Still no scratches.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

You either really lucked out or didn't look hard enough.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I had to go through 4-5 sets myself just to put together a suitable one and it still had a scratch on Disc 1. The BSG set was like that as well. And while it isn't to say I've never received a scratched BD, I can say I've received a lot less of them. I think that may have something to do with the data being closer to the surface of the disc and the tolerance for scratches being less as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks