What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Delighted to read of this release. I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation on Amazon Prime a month or so ago, and I will eagerly add the Blu-ray to my collection and gift my DVD to a friend.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The Criterion Channel (and later Amazon prime) had the new restoration and it looks jaw-droppingly beautiful.

Really happy to be finally retiring so many Paramount DVDs lately.

I also saw it streaming likewise. Crossing fingers they don't somehow botch the release to disc... though would also love for an additional release in 4K streaming (especially via iTunes) as someone else also mentioned...

_Man_

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a Goldwyn film, which places it with Warner. I don’t much about its availability aside from the fact that it’s not on Blu-ray.

With MGM gone, the vintage Bob Hope/Danny Kaye Sam Goldwyns were bought up by the Weinstein's at one point, IIRC?
And with Miramax gone, they're currently available as streaming orphans on Amazon Prime, for those who want to rent, Walter Mitty included.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
With MGM gone, the vintage Bob Hope/Danny Kaye Sam Goldwyns were bought up by the Weinstein's at one point, IIRC?
And with Miramax gone, they're currently available as streaming orphans on Amazon Prime, for those who want to rent, Walter Mitty included.

Some of the Goldwyn titles on streaming still have MGM logos from the 2000s, so it may just be that no one has bothered to update the masters yet. Warner Bros. distributes the Goldwyn library on home video now - though, only Dodsworth, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Bishop's Wife, Hans Christian Andersen, and Guys and Dolls have made it to Blu-ray so far.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
Criterion Channel had a spotlight on Kaye's films that consisted mainly of his Goldwyn features plus this, but I found Wonder Man, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and A Song is Born to be incredibly fun.

There's a nice 4-movie set of Kaye's films at the Goldwyn studio: Wonder Man, A Song Is Born, Up In Arms, and The Kid From Brooklyn. It's on DVD-R and there are no extras, but each film is on a separate disk and the print quality is very good. Just FYI. I expect there will be BDs somewhere along the way, but this will suffice easily until then.

This set is produced by Warner Archive, and only the Goldwyn name appears on the actual prints.

Last edited:

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
Wonderful news! Whenever I’m feeling down I put on “the pellet with the poison...”. Whoever thought up that was a genius. Good song score too, especially “The Maladjusted Jester”.
Glynis Johns is also terrific as is Basil Rathbone, perfect in his Sheriff of Nottingham-type role.

All the actors are terrific in that film. I imagine the set was a happy one.

I read somewhere that Rathbone was an experienced fencer in sport and on stage (not the same thing), and he was impressed with Kaye's fencing talent. I expect it was difficult for him to keep a straight face during their duel, though. He did the slow burn extremely well, and his exit is one of the best ever in comedy, even better than Monty Python.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I first saw the new restoration on The Criterion Channel and you are correct: it is jaw-droppingly beautiful!

I think the first (& quite possibly the last) time I saw this was on TV in the sixties, & I don't remember anything about it, but it's the first Paramount Presents release that I've fancied buying, especially when I read so many great things about the PQ.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon. The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true. Just remember that.

In 2004, The Court Jester was added to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress.

Real Name
David N. Heathman
A little more than his “Songwriter/partner”, Danny credited Sylvia Fine for his career... Married for almost fifty years, she tweaked his persona by writing the witty “patter” songs that were to become his trademark. She also penned the classic “Lullaby of Ragtime”...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Always great to have another Kaye film on Blu Ray. Not one of my favorites but a good Kaye vehicle. I prefer him when he was younger and even more energetic in the Goldwyn films of the 40's. That said I will definitely pick this up. Wonderman and Secret Life of Walter Mitty are my favorites with Kid from Brooklyn a close 3rd.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
The restored Court Jester was so drop-dead gorgeous on the BIG BIG screen at the TCL Chinese Theater during the 2017 TCM Film Festival. I've been hoping ever since for a Blu-ray, though I'll always have the memory of the theatrical experience in my head while watching it on the home screen.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Speaking of Sylvia Fine, she did a wonderful series of three PBS specials called Sylvia Fine Kaye's Broadway in which big stars of the era would recreate a famous number from a great Broadway musical. She even recruited Danny to recreate his original Broadway performance of "Tchaikovsky" from Lady in the Dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cronosmantas