1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Paramount Presents Gemini Man 4K 60 fps Demonstration

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kevin EK, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

2. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I wish the actual film was better, but I'm definitely interested in the HFR presentation. I saw one of the Hobbit films in HFR 3D and was very impressed. That was only 48fps, if I remember correctly, but the HFR made a huge difference for the 3D as the added smoothness of motion really added a sense of realism to the 3D. It will be interesting to see if HFR ever really takes off. I think it has a chance, as many younger people are avid video gamers, many of whom almost demand 60fps since they feel it gives them an edge over those playing at a lower frame rate. It really comes down to what you are accustomed to when it comes to video content. Those of us who grew up watching film at 24fps and NTSC video at approximately 30fps seem to have a more difficult time accepting higher frame rates for movies because we associate it with things like Soap Operas and 70's and 80's sitcoms. We are predisposed to thinking of video at higher-than-24fps as looking "cheaper." It's totally understandable and, to be sure, there is a dramatic visual difference between 24fps and higher frame rates. Still, I suspect that somewhere down the line we'll see a gradual shift to content shot in 60fps or higher. As long as the quality of special effects continues to improve to the point where they are indistinguishable from the live-action elements, I have no problem with HFR. In fact, I'm excited by the visual possibilities afforded by the technology. If nothing else, the benefits that HFR can provide to theme park attractions can't be understated, especially with companies like Disney incorporating more and more screen-based effects in their attractions.

3. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    It's kind of odd that the disc is going to be HFR in 2D. In the cinema, you could only see the HFR version in 3D. The 2D showings were 24fps. I thought the whole point of the higher frame rate was to make the motion smoother for 3D.

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Unfortunately, there isn't a 3D standard for home 4K. Also, and I could be mistaken, I don't believe that there would be enough space for 60fps 3D video in full resolution on a Blu-ray disc. At the very least, it's likely that many players would have a tough time handling it. They could do 3D at 30fps on a Blu-ray, I suppose, but they're already having to compromise by having the 4K disc at 60fps, since the film was shot at 120fps.

This is just a situation where home theater tech just isn't up to the task of reproducing the film as it was intended to be seen. Heck, as was mentioned in the article, there were only two theaters in the entire country that were able to screen it at 120fps and 3D. This is just one of those films that only a very few people will have ever seen in its intended projection format.

5. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Most cinemas ran it in 2D at 24fps (in 2K or 4K), or in 3D at 60fps in 2K.

6. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

3-D bluray specs allow for 1080p at 24fps, or 720p at 30 or 60fps.

Am pretty sure the R2 3-D bluray release will be [email protected]

7. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Cinematographer

I tried watching Ang Lee's previous HFR box-office disaster, BILLY LYNN'S LONG HALFTIME WALK, on 4K UHD in 60 FPS and it gave me a headache so I turned it off. HFR for movies is dead in the water, nobody wants it. It simply looks awful.

Vincent

Worth and TravisR like this.
  8. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    I second Vincent_P's entry. The Billy Long 4K UHD disc was a struggle to get through. For me, HFR made the film look like it had been shot on early HD video circa 1987. And because it looks so terrible, I kept getting distracted by the technology so I had to switch discs and watch it on plain 2D Blu-ray to be able to follow the story.

I have a feeling that for some weird brain wiring reason Ang Lee, whom I admire greatly, sees something in this process that the majority of the public, including myself, doesn't see. My hope is that he will stop using it and continue to regale us with the great films he is capable of producing.

Worth likes this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think part of the problem is that these were conceived as being seen in 4K resolution at 120fps and in 3D, and if you miss any piece of that puzzle, it falls apart.

I saw Billy Lynn with all three of those things and while I wouldn’t make every movie that way, there was potential there.

But I only had the option of Gemini Man in 3D at 120fps at 2K and I discovered that it needs the extra resolution for the illusion to work.

So while I bet the 60fps disc looks fine for what it’s meant to be, it’s still missing a lot of what it needs to have a shot at working for the viewer.