Paramount, please stick with Keep Cases!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis Hedger, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Paramount, you have done little to make me dis-approve of any DVD you put out.

But the latest DVD's with Travolta, such as Grease, and Saturday Night Fever have those flimsy, cheap feeling cardboard/plastic cases that I absolutely loathe!

Please, you have been in the DVD industry for over 4 years, there is no reason to go to these cheap cases after putting out so many DVD's with the standard, all plastic keep case that I and I am sure others prefer!

2. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I agree. I shouldn't have to spend extra money to buy keepcases after I buy DVD's and go through the trouble of moving my DVD's and material to them. It's bad enough I already have to do this because of Snappers [​IMG].

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

And why did Saturday Night Fever come in a cardboard case but Staying Alive came in a real one?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Haven't seen these new cases. They are not snappers, yet they are not keepcases? Please describe them.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    They're 1-disc gatefolds.

I don't think these were made for cheapness (they probably cost more due to more art design), but rather to look pretty cool.

When a studio does something not to your l iking, it's not because they're trying to screw you over.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Patrick,
    Remember that when discussing Fox's decision regarding the "Sunrise" dvd.

Crawdaddy

7. Travis Hedger

I just remembered, they are also the same cases that were used for the Godfather box set.

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

They have the potential to look nice, but don't. The outer sleeves are unnecessary too. (I like snapper cases BTW [​IMG] )

9. Travis Hedger

Heh, I would take snappers over these gatefolds any day. But alas, the keepcase will always have my heart! :b

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I agree. Ditch these covers and stick with keepcases. The retaillers I've talked to said they are getting a LOT of complaints about the cheap packaging. These are supposed to be collectables - why are they packaged like disposables?

11. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Though it does seem appropriate for the pan-and-scan version of "Grease", which for the life of me I still don't see the point of ever releasing. I was at a Tower store that had all the widescreen copies in anti-theft plastic containers that the cashier had to remove when puchased, but NONE of the pan-n-scan ones had them! Guess they figured nobody'd bother to steal those! [​IMG]

12. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

(crosspost, as my search revealed two possible places to put this)

Tonight in a store I saw the keepcase version of Grease (in WS or PS). Hey can you guess what will be a 'defective' return right after chistmas? That's right, the crap pack version I bought a few months back.

I hope Paramount likes the high 'defect' rate of this title.

13. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Somewhere, there are people out there who think cases like Panic Room, Grease, ET, X-Men and similar ones are "special". I don't agree. Anything that is 100% cardboard and glue will certainly wear out quicker than a plastic keepcase. If you want to produce a cardboard slipcase cover because it may be more special or important go ahead but please consider having a keepcase on the inside.
    [​IMG]

14. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I agree, cheap cardboard packaging is the worst. [​IMG] [​IMG]