What's new

Paramount -- please rethink your plans for DANGER DIABOLIK (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Okay, this comes from the "You didn't hear this from me" department, but I have received reliable word that Paramount plans to release Mario Bava's DANGER DIABOLIK on DVD this summer. However, it has been planned as not only a bare-bones, no-frills DVD, but that it will use the improperly-framed, English-dubbed master previously used for the out-of-print laserdisc years ago.

It's understandable that this title is not TITANIC, or even TOMB RAIDER. But a better DVD can be made of this with little effort. John Phillip Law has gone on record as very interested in recording a commentary track. Also, Tim Lucas' long-awaited ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK biography of Mario Bava will finally be out this year, and Lucas has already done fine, detailed commentaries and notes for other Bava DVDs. His involvement should be solicited and would be easy to acquire. And Paramount has always been a leader in creating new, clean, 16x9 transfers, so to recycle an old laserdisc version is out of character and disappointing.

Before we go pestering our friend at the studio, my source spoke to him already, and he replied that his wishes for a better-quality presentation were overruled by higher-ups. But if he can go to the powers that be with a large amount of support in the same way he surely did for the FRIDAY THE 13TH series, perhaps they can be persuaded to step back and reassess the plan.
If it would be possible to make this a sticky thread, I would ask the moderators to keep this active for at least a couple of weeks, as this is the timetable I was quoted for when the transfer and mastering will take place.

A master criminal deserves better, don't you agree?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I wholeheartedly agree! I own Paramount's LD version, and have burned a DVD-R of it to hold me over until a proper (16x9, at the very least) DVD edition is released in R1.

A legit DIABOLIK DVD ported from LD by Paramount would be essentially the same thing I already have, and I'd have no incentive to purchase it at all. I'm sure there are many fans who are in the same boat (even if they don't have the LD themselves, many have grey-market DVDs acquired from shady internet sources). The (reasonable) potential presentation outlined above by Mark would make the legit Paramount DVD a must-buy.

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I would buy a decent DVD release of this flick in a second !
But I definitely won't buy it if it's not presented in OAR... And I most probably won't buy it either if the DVD is not anamorphic !

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
This is the first I have heard that the LD version was improperly framed. What is wrong with it?

Naturally I'd like to see an anamorphic widescreen DVD!

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I spoke to John Phillip Law today. He's tanned, rested, and ready to do commentary. Take advantage now.

Heck, I'm sure he'd do commentary for BARBARELLA as well, and that would give you a chance to double dip. Marketing department would have to love that.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
wow-this is also the first ive heard of the framing issue. I still have my LD.

But I am surprised and glad that PARAMOUNT is putting this on DVD-I just hope they will do the right thing-let this disc be a loss leader, if need be, but please, do it right!

Mark n' Randy-you are right- D-D! was filmed in PANORAMICA(according to both IMDB -which list it as 1.85-and the link below) which has an AR of 2.52:1.
A 'scope' version of this would be too cool.

http://www.film-center.com/formats.html

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't think Diabolik was shot in PANORAMICA.

According to that page, it was a 70mm format and later a 10 perf horizontal 35mm format.... in the silent era.

Panoramica may be the company who owned the cameras and lenses used for the movie. Diabolik is most likely either a Techniscope or Panavision film.

That AR page has some errors, too. Cinerama is 2.59:1 curved. Technirama is 2.21:1 on 8 perf horizontal 35mm with anamorphic lenses. VistaVision's negative ratio is 1.55:1, but meant to be matted to 1.66:1, 1.75:1, 1.85:1, or 1.96:1.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
http://www.imdb.com/SearchTechnical?PCS:Panoramica

I believe that Panoramica was an Italian version of SuperScope 235 - 4-perf 35mm neg. optically reframed to 2x anamorphic 4-perf 35mm. First used in the late Fifties in the U.S. SuperScope 235 was the forerunner to Super 35.

But as the IMDb link above shows, the ratios for the Italian "Panoramica" productions are either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1.

None of the posters for Diabolik that I have ever seen state "Panoramica" and I don't think the credits do. My guess is that it was shot in spherical 35mm Academy gate and was composed for 1.66:1 or 1.85:1 and the Panoramica credit (if there is one) was a gimmick.

Very confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks