What's new

PARAMOUNT- Please include trailers on all new releases, even Special Editions! (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Recent special editions like Mission Impossible 2 and the upcoming Tomb Raider have not included trailers or teasers. I consider these standard features and, believe it or not, their exclusion may keep me from purchasing marginal titles (like Tomb Raider).
Why leave them off? Even if disc space is an issue, I'm sure most would rather have the trailer than some of the DVD ROM stuff on TR, which will go unused by most.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Neither disc has trailers? You've got to be kidding me. What's up, Paramount? This is usually standard-issue, even for you guys.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Uh-oh. We GOTTA have the trailers!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Yes, trailers are a deciding point for me to if the feature is slightly sub-par.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I enjoy trailers very much
Come on Paramount, It is a standard feature.
Regards,
Ricky

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Tomb Raider doesn't have any trailers on the DVD? That's too bad, because it's one of those marginal titles for me, and in this particular case, the trailer is really important to me, as the trailer has my favorite line, which ended up being cut out of the movie ("I said you'd try").

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree. How can any studio make a "Special Edition" (which I know Paramount doesn't actually call their titles that, but still) without including a standard feature such as a trailer. I was not aware that the TR disc didn't include any trailers, which is odd because there is a TR trailer (not sure if it's the teaser or the full trailer) on one of the Total Movie discs from the magazine's first incarnation. Paramount is the worst offender of the major studios in leaving trailers off of discs.

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
Oh pleeez. I think this issue has been answered many times on this forum. If trailers aren't on a DVD then it's because they weren't cleared for such use. It does happen from time to time, usually because the music wasn't cleared.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
You are correct, Mr. Blythe. I have been paying attention to your clarifications on this matter to know that if a trailer is left off, it's a clearance matter. I'm sorry that you had to remind us again. You do have a thankless job as our de facto liason to Paramount.
What is annoying and frustrating about this, however, is that unlike older Paramount (or other studios, for that matter) films, where trailers were made with no long-term sight of future exploitation on DVD or other media, TOMB RAIDER has been made at the height of DVD success. Therefore, whoever chose music and cleared it should have anticipated that there would be demand for the trailer on a future DVD and either made the appropriate clearance, or chosen music that was not so cost-prohibitive as to prevent its use on DVD. It's as if one department works in a vaccuum from another with no regard for each other. If the studios have the foresight to create added value segments like documentaries and interviews, they should have the common sense to plan on having trailers made in such a fashion that they can be included as well.
As for me, I didn't like TOMB RAIDER enough to buy it, with or without the trailer. But this problem deserves a little more attention and communication in the future between home video and the advertising people, I feel.
------------------
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
It's not that a trailer will always make or break a DVD sale for me. It's just that I like to see how the film was marketed. It's especially interesting to see trailers from older films.
Personally, I think more studios should add photo galleries to their discs, which include the US One-Sheet poster art, as well as poster art from other countries. Look at Anchor Bay's Suspiria to see how diversely one single film can be marketed in varying companies. Very interesting stuff. More discs should have multiple posters as well as trailers from other countries.
It's just something of added interest. I'll admit, it does help sometimes when deciding whether to buy a barebones disc or not. It's not the deciding factor, but it helps.

Joel C

Screenwriter
With all due respect to Mr. Blythe,
I was under the impression that clearence issues only applied to older films. I don't understand why, in today's market, the studio WOULDN'T secure music rights for a trailer well in advance of its showing in theaters.
In addition, much of the music in the TR trailer appears in the film.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh pleeez. I think this issue has been answered many times on this forum. If trailers aren't on a DVD then it's because they weren't cleared for such use. It does happen from time to time, usually because the music wasn't cleared.
I'm gonna echo Joel C's comments right above. Mission Impossible 2 and Tomb Raider are both extremely recent films, both made after studios knew that DVD's were taking off, and that supplements are a part of all that sells them.
I certainly hope that all studios, Paramount included, are being prudent when they sign the contracts involving rights and licenses. The language should be clear in them that the rights needed for DVD release of the feature itself, as well as supplements that are "standard" (like trailers), are part-and-parcel of what is being agreed to on the contract being signed that day.
May I also suggest that there be provisions in all contracts going forward as to what methods will be used to easily/quickly identify in the future what rights are currently owned by whom and how they may be persued or even arbitrated in case of a dispute. This way, when the next format after DVD comes along, you won't have this much trouble going through all these rights issues all over again!
Thanks as always for your input, Martin. I hope you don't mind our input here. Sometimes I release - speaking for myself - that is comes across as harsh. But I figure you want our honest opinions, and that you're not just hanging around to have your patootie smooched. :)
Thanks again,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
.....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
This is just speculation on my part - but I would assume that artist rights for films versus trailers are somewhat different.
Basically, films that contain music are still looked as a theater one shot deal. Profits are made by moviegoers. However, trailers were viewed as dispensable product - until LD and DVD.
Trailers can be used on any product - not just the film they showcase. A trailer can be used as a marketing option on other DVDs, LDs, and/or VHS tapes.
So in a sense, if a trailer is used to showcase a studios product line, the artist should be compensated for each use.
That can add up royalty wise for a studio.
Just look at all the films that have used Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven - hardly anyone of them have been released with that music in tack. It seems, no one, even today, years after the film has been released, can use this song (Wayne's World, ...).
I'm sure that studios are more prudent today then they were even just a few years ago - due to DVD and Special Feature's selling points.
Also keep in mind, sometimes the studio does not have the last word in whether or not a song can be used in a film. Sometimes in it is a director's contract, producer's, ... has what final say they have on their artist vision.
It's just not that cut-and-dry like we assume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks