PARAMOUNT: Please help Re: FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL

Discussion in 'DVD' started by AlanBrom, Jun 5, 2003.

1. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

I tried posting about this some months earlier, but I couldn't get a response. I have seen that many forums have been mentioning other Region releases of FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL being cut, and they are assuming that Paramount's upcoming Region 1 release will be cut as well. Can anyone clarify if Paramount's release will restore the often missing "artery" scene, will the transfer be from the original negative, will it be OAR? They went through the trouble of doing a commentary with some of the stars, so I'm hoping for the best.

2. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I'm curious about this as well. I don't think this particular entry in the Frankenstein Hammer series has ever been released intact in the US, even though it carries an R rating. One thing's for sure, we can count on a decent OAR presentation from Paramount. On the down side of that, don't count on any restored footage from them. They've pretty much cornered the market on censored horror titles and it doesn't look like they plan on fixing that any time soon.

3. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

I'm just hoping if they work off the original negative that it will be uncut, much like what happened with DON'T LOOK NOW. I have the full uncut MONSTER FROM HELL from Japanese laserdisc, but the picture quality is lousy.

4. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Well I'm keeping the faith. It's been said the artery scene has appeared intact on USA Network broadcasts, despite being cut from the R-rated videotapes previously released. So it's in their vault somewhere.

Paramount is very good about using the freshest materials possible for DVD. I think they'll find it and it'll be there.

5. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

Mark, thanks for the confident word. I taped FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL off USA in 1985, and I remember they kept cutting different scenes (not gore) for time during later broadcasts. I am positive though that the artery scene was never in there, only in the Japanese laserdisc. The ending is also trimmed--where they tear the monster to shreeads. I should pull out the tape as I probably still have it.

6. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'll add my support for an un-cut Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell.

In fact this is one of a very few Hammer titles I've never seen so I'm looking forward to the DVD release. A definite blind buy as I'm a huge fan of Terrence Fisher's Hammer Frankenstein series.

7. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

I just saw the cover to this over at DVD Drive-In. Any word on whether the artey scene and the longer tearing apart of the monster will be included???