Paramount- Pan and Scan???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nate Anderson, May 1, 2002.

1. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I've been hearing these rumors that you guys are considering going to Pan and Scan releases.

Please tell me this is not true. Pan and Scan can ruin a movie. It's evil. Plain and simple.

Widescreen good. Pan and Scan Bad. Don't cave in to the public demands. Educate them instead! Remain true to the wonderful legacy of widescreen and the high level of quality all of your features recieve, with the excellent sound and WIDESCREEN transfers! Why bastardize the good name that is Paramount DVD with shoddy Pan and Scan transfers?!

I'm down on my knees pleading, which makes it really hard to type...

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Paramount is one of the few studios left who I hold in high regard when it comes to presenting films on DVD OAR. I certainly hope that don't go ahead with this.

3. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

I agree. Paramount changing to P&S would ruin the name they've made in DVD so far, as far as quality goes. I hope they don't change their policy.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I doubt they'd go P&S-only for any titles. Even the two Rugrats movies got dual-ratio DVD's.

Paramount is the only studio without any P&S-only DVD's on the market. (And I don't count Top Gun or Star Trek IV since they're Super-35.) They could have released Shane in 1.66:1 to please the video magazines, but released it in OAR (1.33:1) to please movie buffs instead.

5. Jeremiah W

Jeremiah W Stunt Coordinator

dammit Colum,,,I mean Paramount not you too!!!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    please say it isn't so

6. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

I seriously doubt Paramount Home Entertainment will release pan & scan/open-matte films on DVD exclusively.

Even when they stopped supporting 16:9 enhancement, they still presented films in letterbox.

Plus the kids titles have come with AR options...Charlotte's Web was the ONLY DVD thus far from PHE to have a dual DVD release. Rugrats: The Movie, Rugrats in Paris, and Jimmy Nuetron: Boy Genius have 16:9 widescreen and pan & scan/open-matte options.

Also, Martin Blythe's recent joke about pan & scan shows that he supports OIAR.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Have you seen that "Charlotte's Web" cover though- it actually says "FULL SCREEN COLLECTION" on the top! (The term "Full Screen" should be banished, BTW.) I wonder if they transferred it from my 1981 laserdisc copy [​IMG]
    BTW that release was rather strange- it came out a few months after the widescreen version; if they couldn't fit both on the same disc I have to wonder why they bothered. Very few stores seem to carry it too, which is a good thing.