What's new

Paramount -- LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE FABULOUS STAINS (1 Viewer)

Vincent-P

Second Unit
My biggest question is will the DVD be anamorphic widescreen? Other Rhino discs I've previously seen haven't had the best track record in the video specs area.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Jake Fogelnest said:
Diane Lane and Laura Dern will be recording commentary next week. They're also in touch with Sam Green who shot the documentary with Sarah Jacobson for IFC Split Screen so the disc might include that footage as well.
I really really hope that the wonderful Sam Green/Sarah Jacobson documentary is on the new DVD. Sadly, it is "truncated" on the Rainbow Man DVD. Anyone know if it will be?
A Diane Lane / Laura Dern commentary would be GREAT ! (I thought Lane disliked the film?)

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Vincent-P said:
My biggest question is will the DVD be anamorphic widescreen? Other Rhino discs I've previously seen haven't had the best track record in the video specs area.
Please please PLEASE can it be anamorphic!!!! Surely, it has to be?

Jake Fogelnest

Auditioning
Marc, e-mailed me and we'll talk this week!

Also, I'm proud to say the disc is ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN!

I've seen the transfer and I think you're going to be really psyched.

-Jake

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Jake Fogelnest said:
Marc, e-mailed me and we'll talk this week!
Also, I'm proud to say the disc is ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN!
I've seen the transfer and I think you're going to be really psyched.
-Jake
FANTASTIC NEWS ! Thanks Jake !
With regard to the actual DVD. It would be GREAT if it could contain some if not all of the following:
"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE FABULOUS STAINS" - the movie in remastered 1.85:1 anamorphic enhanced widescreen. Even better in hi-def!
"ALTERNATE ENDINGS" - the movies ending changed several times during it's history. It would be great to have ALL the different endings. I love LOVE that music video at the end!
"DELETED SCENES" - I assume these must exist somewhere.
"ON SET FOOTAGE" - Speaks for itself.
"ON SET INTERVIEWS" - Interviews with cast and crew.
"AUDIO COMMENTARY WITH LOU ADLER, NANCY DOWD, AND MODERATOR MARC EDWARD HUECK" - This would be a dream come true!
"AUDIO COMMENTARY WITH STARS DIANE LANE, LAURA DERN etc" - Again... how great would that be!
"SARAH JACOBSON'S ORIGINAL "MAKING OF.." BEHIND THE SCENES DOCUMENTARY" - The same doc as found on the OtherCinemaDVD "Rainbow Man" DVD.
"ALL NEW "MAKING OF..." DOCUMENTARY" - with recent interviews with cast and crew including Lou Adler, Nancy Dowd, Diane Lane, Laura Dern and Marc Edward Hueck.
"THEATRICAL TRAILER" - The trailer that was intended to be used for the film.
"NIGHT FLIGHT - TV COMMERCIALS FOR THE FILM" - TV spots and commercials used to advertise the films TV premiere.
"PHOTOS AND PICTURES" relating to the film and it's cast and crew.
"CAST AND CREW INFO" - Info and pics of Lou Adler, Nancy Dowd, Diane Lane, Laura Dern etc etc.
"MUSIC VIDEOS" - Any music video footage and music for the film. Including the "BE A PROFESSIONAL"- "end credits" video in full.
Phew....
Finally, some really cool cover art to really get people's attention. Stick Diane Lane and Laura Dern's names on the cover and voila... you'll have a BIG hit on DVD!
Great stuff guys. I cannot say how happy I am to see this film coming to light atlast on DVD!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Count me in as very excited about this release.
There was also a good article on the film by Neil Palmer in the book, No Focus: Punk on Film. Perhaps this could be included as a text supplement. It offers a good amount of information in a short span and, IIRC, has an interview/extensive quotes from consultant Caroline Coon and/or Nancy Dowd. There was a lot of bad blood on the set between the women (Coon and Dowd) and director Lou Adler, who was perceived as being out of touch with the subject matter and out of his element in the director's chair. Coon left the project in frustration. Large chunks of the script were thrown out since the film was over-budget and had gone over its original shooting schedule. In the interviews in the article, IIRC Ray Winstone or Steve Jones, it is said rather plainly that there were a lot of drugs and partying on set, which contributed to the compromised final product. I hope this history isn't glossed over on the DVD.
No Focus: Punk on Film

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Is Jonathan Demme involved in any of the extras? As my one of my favorite directors, he's where my primary interest in seeing this film originated.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I think it is safe to say Demme will have no involvement. Outside of being initially considered to direct the project, Demme had nothing to do with the movie - his imdb credit is a mistake and should be removed.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I didn't know that. For as long as I've heard of this film, I thought he was one of the writers based on IMDB.

Matt Shiv

Agent
I am REALLY excited for this release. A friend of mine at Rhino is the product manager for the dvd and she e-mailed me recently to ask if I knew of the movie. I explained that I had always heard about it and I know that I saw the IFC Split Screen episode about it, but have never had the opportunity to see it.

She did confirm that they are working on a Diane Lane/Laura Dern commentary. Also, being the high def dork that I am, I inquired about Blu-ray (as I have pretty much stopped buying regular dvd's). Her answer was:

The film has been restored and could be released on Blu Ray but that would delay us another several months due to the backlog at the plants. So it will be a standard dvd but very good quality at least.

This is one that I'll go ahead and buy no matter what. It is a release I want to support. I know a lot of hard work is going in to finally bringing it out and doing it right!

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Matt Shiv said:
I am REALLY excited for this release. A friend of mine at Rhino is the product manager for the dvd and she e-mailed me recently to ask if I knew of the movie. I explained that I had always heard about it and I know that I saw the IFC Split Screen episode about it, but have never had the opportunity to see it.
She did confirm that they are working on a Diane Lane/Laura Dern commentary. Also, being the high def dork that I am, I inquired about Blu-ray (as I have pretty much stopped buying regular dvd's). Her answer was:
The film has been restored and could be released on Blu Ray but that would delay us another several months due to the backlog at the plants. So it will be a standard dvd but very good quality at least.
This is one that I'll go ahead and buy no matter what. It is a release I want to support. I know a lot of hard work is going in to finally bringing it out and doing it right!
It's good to know that they are doing this film right. "Fabulous Stains" deserves that! Great!
Maybe they could release a blu-ray version at a later date in the near future ???????

cornslaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin Helb
Hello everyone,

Can't believe that this thread has been in existence for as long as it has. I've just come across it, just read the whole thread from the May 2001 beginnings to this past May's talk of the DVD FINALLY being released. (sniff sniff) I feel like I know you all now.

I am a doctoral candidate in cultural studies writing my dissertation on representation of amateurism in film and tv, specifically as it relates to fictional amateur/semiprofessional music making.

New to the forum and sorry if I am a bit off topic to specifically LAGTFS's DVD release, but this seemed a great place to ask this stuff:

Anyone have a PDF of Sarah Jacobson's Grand Royal article on The Stains? Issue 6, is a tough one.

Mark, have you written/published anything on The Stains?

Anyone read the article in No Focus: Punk on Film?

Jake, I e-mailed you earlier today.

In regards to the release, has the Carol King song been cleared?

How 'bout the Cook/Jones stuff, since they were with Virgin at the time?

Anyone else have anything else to share/of interest, please feel free to e-mail me off-list at colinhelb at gmail dot com.

Thanks.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Henry Gale said:
as her favorite of her films.
And wouldn't it be nice if an Administrator edited the topic on this thread to reflect the sad reality of things.
Of course, things can change. :)
I know this is being discussed in another thread:
"Long a cult favorite of punk and rock aficionados, Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains will finally surface on DVD. The 1981 film, shelved after a brief theatrical run, arrives Sept. 16 to inaugurate Rhino's Rock 'n' Roll Cinema series."

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Coming attractions: 'Fabulous Stains' comes to DVD - USATODAY.com
Okay, since the "official" announcement made it to USA Today, I guess I can offer some details, though I probably don't have any more information than Jake Fogelnest does. We've both been allowed some behind-the-scenes details on this project, but out of respect to Rhino some of those details must stay under wraps for now.
What is safe to say:
The movie will be anamorphic widescreen.
All the music has been cleared.
Paramount has been unable to locate any deleted scenes, but they did locate the film's original trailer, which will certainly be a revelation to many fans as almost no one outside of Denver, Colorado (where it's initial engagement took place) has seen it before.
Lou Adler's commentary is finished.
When there's more news, you will definitely hear from Jake or myself about it.
I can say that the Rhino personnel working on this are possibly the finest people to work on a DVD release that I have ever encountered. I am filled with hope that this could very well be a contender for DVD of the Year.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Mark Edward Heuck said:
Coming attractions: 'Fabulous Stains' comes to DVD - USATODAY.com
Okay, since the "official" announcement made it to USA Today, I guess I can offer some details, though I probably don't have any more information than Jake Fogelnest does. We've both been allowed some behind-the-scenes details on this project, but out of respect to Rhino some of those details must stay under wraps for now.
What is safe to say:
The movie will be anamorphic widescreen.
All the music has been cleared.
Paramount has been unable to locate any deleted scenes, but they did locate the film's original trailer, which will certainly be a revelation to many fans as almost no one outside of Denver, Colorado (where it's initial engagement took place) has seen it before.
Lou Adler's commentary is finished.
When there's more news, you will definitely hear from Jake or myself about it.
I can say that the Rhino personnel working on this are possibly the finest people to work on a DVD release that I have ever encountered. I am filled with hope that this could very well be a contender for DVD of the Year.
Thanks Mark! Please keep us posted.
Is the Diane Lane/Laura Dern commentary gonna be on the DVD?
Thanks again for sharing what yoou can. It's appreciated!

cornslaw

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin Helb
Did my post get deleted purposefully or did I screw up.

In the last post:

I was asking if anyone knew of other times The Fabulous Stains has aired on TV aside from the four February 1985 airings (11 am Friday, 3 am Saturday, 11 pm Saturday, and 3 am Sunday during the weekend of February 15).

International tv airings?

And continuing my desperate begging for PDFs of the Stains stuff from Grand Royal 6.

Did I go too off subject or did I delete it myself?

Thanks,

Colin

(off list is fine: colinhelb at gmail dot com)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks