Paramount July Catalogue Titles

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bradley-E, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Paramount will release the following catalogue titles on July 12th.

THE ADVENTURERS
    ANOTHER TIME ANOTHER PLACE
    A BREATH OF SCANDAL
    ELEPHANT WALK
    IT STARTED IN NAPLES
    THE RAINMAKER

2. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

What source are you using for these six titles ? Movies Unlimited has listed Breath of a Scandal and It Happened in Naples for several weeks but the other 4 are not listed. Great news on the Katharine Hepburn/Burt Lancaster Rainmaker and Elizabeth Taylor's Elephant Walk. Wasn't she absolutely stunning in this early '50's title !

3. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

DVD PLANET for Pre-Order. Posted today.

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

the recent story about Paramount stepping up their catalog output- does that mean they will release titles more than just one week a month- or did it mean that instead of 4 titles in a month we'll get six?

is the Adventurers the same 1970 film that Maltins guide rates as a bomb and "a challenge to the kidneys at 170 minutes" ?

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  6. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

"The Adventurerers" is based on a Harold Robbins potboiler with Candace Bergen and Olivia DeHavillland (A dream team). Its sooo bad its.........great fun. I'm looking forward to this guilty pleasure. . Hopefully it will be the uncut version.
    Very cool about "Elephant Walk" and "The Rainmaker"
    I hope " Love With the Proper Stranger" makes it appearance in this year of McQueen.

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Katharine Hepburn, Sean Connery, Elizabeth Taylor, Olivia DeHavilland, Burt Lancaster, Lana Turner, Clark Gable, Sophia Loren ... what's not to like?

All six will be sitting on my shelves come July. Keep 'em coming, Paramount!

8. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob

Maltin thinks everything is "fatally overlong" - no matter how long it actually is.

9. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Oh, my God, are people STILL reading Leonard Maltin? I though he was so yesterday.

10. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i don't agree with every review in there, but the book is good for reference- cast listings, release dates, some info about story content, etc.
    mine gets a good work out- as does the Video Hound.

for what its worth, Movie Hound concurs with Maltins that the film is "a turkey...long and boring" and gives it a 'woof' rating (no stars).

11. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Oh, I've seen The Adventurers, Paul, and I agree the film is a dud though enjoyable in a kitschy kind of way like The Carpetbaggers which is why I'm looking forward to revisiting it again. No, it's just that I haven't heard anyone actually quote Maltin in quite awhile. Usually, it's Roger Ebert these days.

However, I knew someone who worked for Maltin and I suppose it may come as a shock to some people but Maltin doesn't personally review all the films in his book. He doesn't have the time or inclination to see everything. He has a staff that helps him out with the entries in the book.

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

yeah, i actually know one of the guys who has a few reviews in there, too.

i did enjoy the Carpetbaggers, and i do like Leigh Taylor Young and Ernie Borgnine- so i may check it out sometime

the lure of cheap and sleazy sex content is a definite plus to offset the prospect of a 3 hour run time [​IMG]

13. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

A recommendation for those who don't know the film - It Started in Naples. Both Clark Gable and Sophia Loren are having a fun time in this movie, beautifully shot on location in Italy.
    BTW- Sophia sings a song in a Nightclub - Americano - Many years later this song returns in another Paramount film - the Talented Mister Ripley.

14. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Which version of THE ADVENTURERS are they going to use, the PG cut or the R rated cut? Also, I have the Japanese pre-record from 1988, and it is about seven minute longer than the R rated cut from cable airing. It would be nice if they put together the ultimate version of this trash "test of the kidneys"

15. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Well, from looking in Leonard Maltin's guide, I see that ANOTHER TIME ANOTHER PLACE (1958) gets **1/2, making it only just as good as LASERBLAST (1978), whereas THE RAINMAKER (1956) gets ***, only a little better than LASERBLAST.

IT STARTED IN NAPLES (1960) receives **1/2, no better than LASERBLAST.

At ** each, ELEPHANT WALK (1954) and A BREATH OF SCANDAL (1960) are worse than LASERBLAST.

With its "BOMB" rating, THE ADVENTURERS (1970) is far outclassed, in every respect, by LASERBLAST, according to Maltin. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

you bring up a good point, Peter-

how the hell long are we going to have to wait to get a decent SE of Laserblast?

17. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Laserblast also beats Taxi Driver by 1/2 star[​IMG]

Actually, overall, I find Leonard Maltin's book to be one of the fairest ones out there (and most comprehensive).

I'll probably pick up a couple of those July titles, but none are on my "Most Wanted" Paramount list.

18. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

well, at least the DVD out now on LASERBLAST is widescreen, but it looks like it was taken from a bad print!

by the way, Maltin gave THE BOOGEYMAN (ulli lommel's) 3 stars, so it is better than most of the paramount titles for july!!

19. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    The Maltin book is fair enough, I was mostly borrowing an old MST3K riff (for those scratching their head over my seeming LASERBLAST obsession) for a cheap laff or two.

Actually, back in the day, when I picked up the 1990 edition of Maltin's guide, the capsule descriptions/reviews of two recent, high-profile flicks, new to that edition, gave me a bit of a chuckle:

So, when you hire Connery, you get a side-order of panache as part of the deal. I suppose this is true, but it still struck me as funny when I read it. [​IMG]

Getting back on-topic, none of these announced July titles are ringing my bell, sorry to say, but it's very reassuring to see Paramount continue to go deeper into their catalog each month. I am planning on picking up a whole bunch of Paramount's June slate, though.

A friend told me once that ELEPHANT WALK was basically THE NAKED JUNGLE with pachyderms instead of ants. Same studio (Paramount), same year of release (1954), pretty much the same plot, and both feature character actor Abraham Sofaer. Interesting...

20. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Except there is a love triangle situation in Elephant Walk with two strong male leads, Peter Finch and Dana Andrews in a battle over a young and beautiful Elizabeth Taylor.