What's new

Paramount January Catalogue Titles (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
According to The Digital Bits, CARRIE (Laurence Olivier), THE MATCHMAKER (Shirley's Booth & MacLaine) and A NEW KIND OF LOVE (Newman & Woodward) are all due 1/18/2005. They are the first catalogue title announcents from Paramount for new year.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
What? No Fill In The Blank? What is Paramount thinking? Those titles don't interest me!

P.S. Just kidding! I want all three titles but I thought I'd get the jump on the inevitable whining.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Well, Thomas I'll get you started!! ;)

Where is "Ace in the Hole"?, 50 years and the popularity is only growing with no emergence on home video yet. Please!!!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Well, I won't complain about where's X, because, well, if X comes, it comes, and if not, not... Carrie is a William Wyler film and therefore deserves to be on DVD (I'm not a fan of Wyler, but he's a major director), and A New Kind of Love isn't a very good movie but it is, if nothing else, a time capsule of what was considered a risque comedy in 1963.

I'll probably buy The Matchmaker, though it's always a little disappointing to me, given that with the quality of the cast and the material (Thornton Wilder's play, which later became Hello Dolly!), it should have been even better than it is. Like a lot of Paramount's movies from the VistaVision era, it's kind of stiff, studio-bound and stagy. The director, Joseph Anthony, was a Broadway director who also did another stage adaptation for Paramount that same year, The Rainmaker, which is the same thing -- good cast, good material, but very stagy. Still, the cast of Matchmaker (Booth, MacLaine, Anthony Perkins as Cornelius, Robert Morse as Barnaby, Paul Ford as Vandergelder) makes it worth picking up.

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
So 1492: Conquest of Paradise has been put on hiatus? It was supposed to come out Nov. 16th.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
*cough* Il Conformista? *cough*

I always get my hopes up when Paramount announces catalogue titles.

So, is this considered whining? ;)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Thomas, I have to desagree with you. Carrie, starring, Laurence Olivier and Jennifer Jones is a great film, and I'm certainly glad to know it's coming to dvd. A must buy.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I guess you overlooked my P.S., Rafael. I was just having a bit of fun at the expense of the inevitable complaints that follow DVD announcements by those who choose to complain about what's NOT coming as opposed to those who celebrate what IS coming.

I'm actually stoked by all three titles especially Carrie.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Also announced for January:

A Breath of Scandal (1960)
It Started in Naples (1960)

...as well as Mean Creek, Without a Paddle, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson...

TV stuff: MacGyver S1, CSI Miami S2, 7th Heaven S2, MTV: 'Til Death Do Us Part: Carmen & Dave, Striperella: Uncensored, The Jamie Kennedy Experiment S3, Bad Apple (movie of the week), Hysteria: The Def Leppard Story (movie of the week)

Animated stuff: SpongeBob SquarePants: Home Sweet Pineapple, Dora the Explorer: Catch the Stars, The Fairly OddParents: Timmy's Top Wishes, All Grown Up: All Grown Up...And Loving It, Blue's Clues: Blue's Room - It's Hug Day, Duel Masters: The Good, The Bad, and The Bolshack

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
we'll see, i guess.

Frankly, out of all the studios, Paramount was a bit of a disappointment for me this year.
i was able to see a couple of my 'most wanteds' released (one of which still isn't due for another couple of weeks), and saw a few others released that hadn't been on the top of my mind, but were a pleasant suprise-

but the vast majority were titles i had little enthusiasm for at all.

i do hope 05 is stronger.
they still have some really fine, second tier titles squirrled away in their catalog
i'm talking about stuff besides a 'no brainer', A-List title like African Queen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

For the most part, most studios are a disppointment to someone. We all have our favorite titles that either are released or they're not. Case in point, Paramount is releasing Last Train from Gun Hill in a couple of weeks which makes me a happy camper as far as Paramount is concern.

Crawdaddy

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Paramount did well in my book by finally putting out Murder on the Orient Express and Ragtime , but where is Reds and The Conformist and Ace in the Hole ?

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
What Robert Crawford said.

Paramount released wonderful DVDs this year, including Murder on the Orient Express, The Rose Tattoo, Come Back, Little Sheba, Half a Sixpence, the Jerry Lewis DVDs (all ten of them), The Counterfeit Traitor, The Little Prince, The Country Girl, I Married a Monster from Outer Space, Bug, and many others.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i was solely talking for me personally.
obvsiously they knew someone out there was craving to purchase...Best Defense.

Fox also, after a great opening with My Darling Clementine, really seemed to peter out for me (no pun intended) mid way thru the year.

i like Paramount and have defended them numerous times here, but this year it was Warner(as usual) and Universal got me the most excited.
sadly, Uni looks to be letting all that postive motion slide into a miasma of full screen blunders, which is a shame.

i'll reserve my barbs until after the February titles are announced and Love With The Proper Stranger is still MIA ;)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely be picking up Carrie, an overlooked Wyler film.

I'm not worried about Paramount releasing my most wanted titles, (1900, Reds, The Conformist, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, Ace in the Hole, Friends of Eddie Coyle, Looking for Mr Goodbar, Phase IV), as I think they're doing a great job on getting out their catalog titles and I expect to see these sooner rather than later.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
What happened to The Keep? I remember hearing that it was supposed to be out on 11/30 and it's vanished from release schedules (if it was ever on them).

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Porter,
Oh, What a Lovely War was rumored to come out in 2004 as a special edition (DVD Times October 2003) so maybe we'll get it this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks