What's new

Paramount Is Awake. Let's Start Asking For Stuff (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Just a few years ago noboby expected much from Paramount when it came to releasing schlocky horror movies to DVD, let alone in uncut form. They seemed to be above it all, even though these movies made them tons of money. A "Special Feature" to them were scene selections and caption for the hard of hearing. Now they're not only releasing Friday the 13th uncut but apparently they are also licesing out to other studios. (See Lionsgate's My Bloody Valentine). Obviously something has changed at the studio and I think this is the right time to ask about our guilty pleasures. There are two titles I specifically want from Paramount: The TV-movie sequel to Rosemary's Baby and the 1967 sci-fi flick A Crack In the World. These days I'm not losing too much sleep over lack of extras just give me the movies completely uncut and in their OAR and I'm happy. How about it Paramount?

Wesley Ray

Grip
Real Name
Wes Ray
And don't forget, Mya Communications is releasing Paramount's Dario Argento giallo, Four Flies on Grey Velvet to DVD in 2009.

As long as we get... Tales That Witness Madness and Dr. Terror's House of Horrors from somebody, whether it be Paramount, or one of their licensees (Legend Films) I'll be happy. Make it happen, Paramount!

Charles H

Screenwriter
I am very impressed by the Criterion Paramount releases: ACE IN THE HOLE, THE NAKED PREY, ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS, THE FURIES,and most impressively, WHITE DOG. I doubt that Paramount even knew if they existed, let alone how they could have released them. They are all provocative films, and in the case of WHTE DOG, the film was a downright embarassment to the studio. CORPORATE CAPITULATION AT ITS WORST!

Would that they would license MY SON JOHN (1952), the Otto Preminger films (HURRY SUNDOWN, TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME, JUNIE MOON, SUCH GOOD FRIENDS, and take a stab at negotiating SKIDOO with the Preminger estate), and more Stanwyck noirs.
Does anyone know if there will be more licensing deals with Legend films? WON TON TON, MONEY FROM HOME, RHUBARB, PHASE IV and VILLA RIDES were worth the price of admission alone.

WadeM

Supporting Actor

Didn't know that was Paramount. Certainly looking forward to it.

I actually want the 2 remaining Peanuts feature films: Race for Your Life Charlie Brown and Bon Voyage Charlie Brown(and Don't Come Back!)

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Hate to rain on the parade, but I doubt those Legend releases sold well enough to entice them to license another package of titles. They were for the most part pretty marginal titles, fond as I am of some of them. That last minute Best Buy exclusive deal seemed like a desperate ploy to move units.

I wasn't really thrilled with the quality of them either. Interlaced transfers in 2008? That's disgraceful.

Hopefully Criterion might end up with a few of the major unreleased Paramount movies, like LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR or the Preminger titles mentioned earlier.

Paramount should perhaps try marketing some of their unreleased catalog titles as box sets, like Sony and Universal are doing, or double-features at least. Maybe a NIGGER CHARLEY double bill, or the pair of WALKING TALL sequels, or the above-mentioned BEN and WILLARD.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

You beat me to it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Yeah, Paramount - WILLARD and BEN -- looonnnngg overdue!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Hatari! John Wayne's 1961 Action Adventure/Comedy film could use a new release, I know there is stuff from this film sitting in their vaults collecting dust and crumbling away.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd just like to see their silents. It's been rumored for a while about a few licensed to Criterion. Wings is confirmed to be in the works, at least. I'd like to see a triple-feature of their three W.C. Fields silents (Running Wild, So's Your Old Man [remade as You're Telling Me], and The Old Army Game).

But do keep in mind that the absence of a DVD release does not mean a film is decaying somewhere. For many titles, such as the Republic library, they've already restored and preserved so many - but the preservation materials are simply not being utilized. The Quiet Man, for instance, looks horrible on DVD, but UCLA restored and preserved the original materials years ago.

It's sort of like how Sony spent a fortune restoring their animated shorts library, yet have only released a handful as bonus features on various DVDs.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Of course, I am always hopeful, but this being Paramount we are talking about, I wonder how far on the radar would be my top wants from them...:

Knock on Wood (53) - Danny Kaye's funniest film
About Mrs. Leslie (54) - a real, offbeat charmer
Mr. Music (50) - I just love the Bing Crosby films!
September Affair (50) - a favorite romantic film of many
The Rat Race (60) - such a good, often neglected drama
Dark City (50) - great noir, Heston's film debut
Paid in Full (50) - tearjerker supreme

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Don't forget THE KEEP, which we were promised several years ago, they had it on their release schedule, then reneged for some unexplained reason.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Do Paramount still own the copyright on The File On Thelma Jordan? It's a great movie that I'd love to have on DVD.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Whenever I think of possible DVDs from Paramount I really think only of one truly significant title and that's One-Eyed Jacks.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Whom do we ask,and WHERE do WE WRITE ??
I vote
for "ONE EYED JACKS" the best western ever made..........
And "Looking For Mr. Goodbar" !!!!

Coopsgirl_31

Agent
Real Name
Angie
I would also looooove to see Paramount release some of their silents; particularly the ones with Gary Cooper and Clara Bow. Ms. Bow is pitifully underrepresented on DVD and a box set of some of her Paramount films would be wonderful. One of the movies I want to see the most is Children of Divorce from 1927 starring Gary Cooper (in one of his first leading roles), Clara Bow and Esther Ralston. This film has been restored so it's ready for a release.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator

I agree with this 150%. Actually, I'd even prefer if they licensed this title to Criterion

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Silents for me too. There are many that I'd love to have, although realistically I know that most won't happen. The Clara Bow films are very high on my list, along with others that are said to be in the works (WINGS, von Sternbergs, WEDDING MARCH). And others that are lesser-known, but gems, such as Raymond Griffith's comedies (HANDS UP, PATHS TO PARADISE, CHANGING HUSBANDS, and a few other survivors).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks