Paramount has made some damn impressive strides this year

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Scott, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i guess some people will still complain about the lack of DTS, how they screwed up Grease last year, etc,-
    but when i see that they not only went to the trouble of recording a commentary for Kronos:Vampire Hunter, but that they are also releasing it with an msrp of under $10, along with several other requested, but by no means mainstream, genre titles...i have to say- i'm impressed.

they used to be among the most over-priced in the industry and now they've done almost a complete 180.
    all without alienating OAR purists and still maintaing a commendable high quality.
    i've definitely increased the # of spines on my shelf sporting the Paramount logo, and with all the good stuff on the way, at very attractive price points, i don't see this abating.

Glad to see they are finally on board, and i hope they are justly rewarded for their new pricing strategy.

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I agree. Paramount has done some great work this year.

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The only catalog release from Paramount that was ever "modified for standard televisions" was Jade. Ever since then, every catalog title has been presented in its original intended aspect ratio.

Try saying that about MGM or Disney.

4. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

I usually feel confident purchasing a Paramount DVD. The picture is usually sharp, colorful and clean. The sound is fine also. Unlike some studios where you never know how the image may look.

I'm okay with Paramount's pricing, and don't really miss the extras, just would like to see more catalog titles come out.

5. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I agree...

Paramount is one of the most reliable studios
    when it comes to quality DVD releases.

They also have been very supportive of this forum.

7. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Paramount is # 1 in my book:

- A dedication to getting their catalog titles on DVD, even the more obscure ones.

- Lowering their catalog prices without diminishing the quality.

- Listening to consumer title wants and making an effort to communicate with DVD fanatics like ourselves[​IMG]

- And most of all, a commitment to releasing all titles OAR.

Thanks Paramount!

8. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I agree Paramount has made some great advances in the last year with reduced prices and the release of some sought-after titles. Of course, their excellent OAR policy is always appreciated. I don't want to veer into "Negative Nancy" territory just to suggest two things:

1) Please, please reconsider trailers on catalog releases as a standard.
    2) (An old plea) Reevaluate policy on "unrated" releases. Viacom's own Blockbuster stores now carry these versions from other studios. The director's cut of the aforementioned Jade shouldn't be confined to cable.

Looking forward to Captain Kronos and Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell. I'm delighted to see these have commentaries.

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Price was always my main problem with Paramount.

I have noticed theyre dropping prices on their some of their catalog titles that have been out awhile.

I didnt buy ALOT of Paramount titles because of their prices.
    Theres no reason why a movie with a 2.0 mix,with no extras,should be $25.

This is why I always defended MGM who released such films for $9-14 (even though theyre having $$ problems)

I own less Paramount titles than any other studio.Hopefully that will change.

10. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

A lot of good things coming out of the mount. Now if they'd only reconisder and let Shatner do a Director's Cut of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. [​IMG]

Oh, and I hope they are still releasing "The Keep", "Top Gun:SE", "Deep Impact" (for anamorphic enhancement on the last 2).

11. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

One word: SHOGUN

[​IMG]

12. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

[​IMG] Paramount, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price for Once Upon A Time In The West

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

14. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

2 words, INDIANA JONES [​IMG] [​IMG] I agree they've made great strides, now if they'd release Brain Donors, Summer School, and Crazy People [​IMG]

15. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Everything there is getting better. Prices are lower, DTS is happening, OAR is still there. They just seem to take steps forward and not two steps backward and one step forward like many studios. Good Job Paramount!!

16. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow

17. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

I think I've purchased more Paramount DVDs than any other studio this year. And getting Targets and The Tenant for only $5.99 shipped was a nice turn-around.

Still waiting for The Naked Prey and more Jerry Lewis films.

18. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    John Co wrote (post #10):

19. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Ditto, just with Indiana Jones, the Hack Ryan SE's, Star Trek movie SE's and their TV releases like DS9, Cheers, Frasier. Lower pricing on a lot of these also gets a [​IMG] [​IMG] from me.

20. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Paramount is definitely doing good things this year. Re-issuing the Jack Ryan trilogy as well as digging into their catalogue (Popeye, Dragonslayer, Indiana Jones etc) is a major step in the right direction. Let's not forget their TV releases....can't wait for DS9 Season 4. I hope that Season 2 of Cheers and Frasier are announced soon. Keep them coming.[​IMG]