PARAMOUNT:GODFATHER NOT PLAYING on MANY DVD Players!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Haghighi, Oct 15, 2001.

1. John Haghighi

2. Chris Yesh

Chris Yesh Agent

It doesn't work on my pioneer dv-37, and any of my customers pioneer elite dvd players. Not even the ax10, that unit sells for $5500. It also doesn't play on some Toshiba units, 3109, etc.

3. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

I'd better start by compiling model numbers. I seem to have a few from these threads. Will get back to you.

4. John Haghighi

Pioneer Elite DV-38A ($2k) I hope you guys can get it worked out.
    Thanks for the quick response

5. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

Add my Toshiba SD9000 to the list.

6. Dan Volovik

Dan Volovik Auditioning

it doesnt work on my toshiba SD-2109 either. My Email address is [email protected] If anyone knows what I should do about this please email me or post here.

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Let me also add that the 5th disc locks up when trying to play the deleted scenes and documentaries on my Pioneer DV-37. Paramount (or Zoetrope), please fix this soon as this problem mars an otherwise fantastic collection.
    -Lyle J.P.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Can you guys post where the trouble spots are on the 5th disc. I can check it on my RP91 when I get home but I don't want to be searching through the whole thing looking for lockups.
    please post what to look at (i.e. which deleted scene) and what to look for (pixelization, freezing, etc.).
    Thanks!

10. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Carlo, on my SD-9000 I click on the menu item for deleted scenes and nothing happens.

11. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The problem is not with all Pioneer players, since I can access the deleted scenes using my Pioneer LC-10 portable player.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 2

12. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

It takes anywhere from 5-15 seconds to move once I make a menu selection; other than that minor gripe, all the features on disc 5 work perfectly on my Toshiba SD-2150.
    My Toshiba laptop, which has the SD-C2302 DVD-ROM drive, did not have any problems at all.
    ------------------
    John
    http://www.twowiresthin.com

13. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

On my Toshiba SD-2109, the only video extras I can access are the trailers....all the other stuff (deleted scenes, the Look Inside documentary)...they all won't play! [​IMG]

14. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Mr. Blythe,
    It has been nearly two weeks and we haven't heard an update as to what will be done about this situation.
    If Paramount is going to duck the issue by blaming hardware, so be it, just keep everyone informed.
    Personally, I would normally blow this off as a hardware issue as well. But considering my Pioneer Elite DV-38A was manufactured in July 2001, I find it more likely that it was a fault on the mastering end.
    I also own nearly 1,000 disc, and outide of a minor problem with Disney's Dinosaur 2-Disc SE (The scan function doesn't work during DTS playback), I have never had a problem playing any of my DVD's.
    Thank you,
    Daniel L

15. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

Well, to be frank, I do attribute it to the hardware, however we have been having conversations with the manufacturers about this and I don't have anything to report right now. I guess time is moving on - sorry, nothing I can do for now.

16. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I own 734 features on DVD, 43 of them from Paramount. This was my first problem of any kind on my Toshiba SD-9000, the Monty Python and the Holy Grail problem being the second. Columbia is apparently committed to fixing their problem.
    At the very least there must have been a departure from normal practice in coding the Godfather menus, which I hope won't be repeated.

17. KarlRasmussen

KarlRasmussen Auditioning

I also am having problems playing the 5th disc on my Toshiba 3109. Once I select a specific deleted scene, it brings up the text screen describing the scene, and it locks up the disc. This problem occurs on all of the deleted scenes.
    ------------------

18. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

My Toshiba 3109 with ROM V1.120 - R1 bought in April '99 is having the same issues, deleted scenes and documentary material locking up after I initiate a button press on each particular scene or interview. This also applies to the easter eggs on the 5th disc too.
    However on my Toshiba DVD-Rom SD-M 1202, firmware 1026 everything works perfectly. Go figure. The DVD-Rom is older than my 3109 by almost 6 months. I use PowerDVD 2.5.
    This is the only problem DVD I have had with my 3109 since I bought it. Since that time, I have ran close to 300 discs including movies, documentaries, sports, music, and Imax. Not one problem until now and that includes the known "problem" discs. My 3109 has been perfect until the Godfather supplemental disc.
    With that in mind, I dont feel I need to upgrade my ROM. I believe Paramount is to blame and needs to remaster the 5th disc for those that are having problems. Evidently, it is not just a Toshiba brand issue, as other DVD player brands are having issues, too.
    What are the odds that Paramount will own up and fix disc 5?
    ------------------

19. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Any word yet on Paramount's stance on the Extras disc?
    ------------------

20. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

Having problems with my Tosh 3109 as well. [​IMG]