What's new

Paramount George Pal dvd's (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Is there going to be any new versions of George Pals films, When Worlds Collide or War of the Worlds? The current dvds have pretty bad quality transfers and only the trailer as an extra. They are two of my favorite movies. Two of Pal's other movies, the 7 Faces of Dr. Lao and the Time Machine both have fine transfers on their Warner Bros. discs. Come on Paramount! Give us a some special editions with restored prints!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
While I would support rereleases of both of these as SE's, the current transfers aren't THAT bad considering the age of the material. What both films could probably use is a re-mastering of the source material.

Perhaps this will happen for WotW, and it could get an SE rerelease, when the remake hits theaters (when is that; next year?). But I don't see it happenning for WWC, which I was really amazed at the quality of the DVD in the first place, all things considered.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with these two releases! Maybe I'm alone in that regard, though.

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful we have them on DVD at all, and the transfers aren't terrible. But, the transfers of Pal's other works, the Time Machine and 7 Faces of Dr. Lao are beautiful. They have probably been remastered. However, I do realize that they are 60's movies where War of the Worlds and When Worlds Collide are early 50's movies. That's probably the best picture quality we can get, huh? Still, we could get some more extras. Some documentary's and a commentary possibly by a film historian or something? I guess I'm just a big fan of George Pal! ;)

bill lopez

Second Unit
The laserdisc cav of WAR OF THE WORLDS looked beautiful.

And was in stero.

So why can't the dvd look & sound like that?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The laserdisc cav of WAR OF THE WORLDS looked beautiful.

And was in stero.

So why can't the dvd look & sound like that?
It's been a while, but I don't recall the DVD looking significantly worse than the laserdisc. I don't really have a problem with having the original mono track, either, but it would have been nice to have the remixed stereo and the isolated music and effects tracks included as well.

Regards,

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I only recently finally found a copy of When Worlds Collide and upon comparison to the Paramount laser disc, it's a vast improvement. But as has been already mentioned, the source material was rather iffy. The same blemishs on the laser disc are found on the DVD. But it did not take away from the enjoyment of the viewing experience. Sharpness was the big improvement over the laser disc and color was improved as well.

I have my War of the World's DVD I bought nearly 3 years ago in the wrapper still. I must compare it with the laserdisc soon.

Nelson

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've got War of the Worlds on LD and I think it looks and sounds great. I saw no reason to 'upgrade' to the DVD version. Now if they release this as a full blown SE, I would certainly pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks