Paramount - Four Flies on Grey Velvet...any news?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walt Riarson, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

I remember reading over at DVDTalk that this title would be released sometime in 2003 "...if it's lucky". Has there been any progress in bringing this ultra-rare cult classic to DVD?

The "if it's lucky" statement leads me to wonder if there are problems in the locating of a good enough print, or if the existing print may need extensive restoration. I've seen a Japanese Laserdisc that was quite horrible, quality-wise. So pretty much anything would be an improvement over previous home video versions. A full-blown restoration would be welcome, however (as long as it's in it's OAR of 2:35:1).

Also, has Dario Argento been contacted about helping out with this release? He's done interviews for nearly all of his films on DVD, and it'd be a shame if this, the rarest of his films, didn't include anything special from Argento.

By the way, I found this news over at www.darkdreams.org (quite possibly the best Dario Argento site on the net)

"4 FLIES from Dragon!
    Just got this from Alan over at SGM:

"...we've just supplied Dragon with a print of (wait for it)... 'Four Flies on Grey Velvet' which will not only be getting it's worldwide DVD debut but will be yet another special edition release."

Good news or what?"

So, an R2 Special Edition release is coming.

Any news at all on this film's (hopefully) upcoming US DVD release, Paramount?

2. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

Researching the film, I also found this over at www.darkdreams.org

"At the very least, the former video (French video version) preserves the nudity in the Roberto/Dalia love scene (trimmed for US theatrical release), as well as the Morricone chorale that accompanies Roberto's greeting of "God" ("Hallejuliah!").

Hopefully, Paramount's will be Argento's original cut. It would easily get an PG-13 today (notice, it was originally PG), even uncut.

Also of note, a print of Four Flies on Grey Velvet will be shown in London at the Flesh and Blood Film Festival, on Saturday, March 22. The print listed is 105 minutes.

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yes, Paramount, we're waiting patiently (or not so patiently) for a lovely SE of this in all its gory goodness. PLEASE let me retire my old VHS bootleg!

4. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

Give Mr. Blythe at Paramount time. He's stated several times that they are trying to get this title out in 2003. If there are any snags I'm sure he'll let us know.

When I first heard of the Dragon release I feared that a R1 release would be rushed out to beat it but I have confidence Paramount will not rush things and will do it justice.

I will still buy the R2 release because I'm nearly positive it'll come out first and it is an English print even though it's a German company. The same company just released a 3-disc SUSPIRIA which is similar to the Anchor Bay package but does have some exclusive material. Some of which is only in German and some of which is in English.