What's new

Paramount DVD / DTS (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hello - It seems like Paramount hasn't done a lot of really loaded DVD's. The few that they have done, are really great in terms of extras content. The best ones I've seen for content (not necessarily films themselves) have been Star Trek The Motion Picture, Mission Impossible 2 (blech, but a great dvd in terms of extras), and Tomb Raider. I haven't seen The Godfather series yet, but am sure it is well done. Are there any great Paramount DVD's I'm missing here?

In addition, why hasn't Paramount released any films with DTS sound? It seems really random with studios and DTS.
Is there a reason for this?
Examples: Paramount & MGM (?) no DTS releases, Universal multiple releases for DTS DVD's and non DTS DVD. Then others like Fox that sell one disc with a DTS track on it.

Thanks for your input!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I believe the last time Mr. Blythe commented on DTS, the answer was "no support planned at this time"

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Although its pure speculation since its still at least 3 quarters away, but I do remember several threads on here from a while back saying that Paramount is looking at possibly including a DTS track on the Titanic SE. It would make sense since that was the only DTS Laserdisc that Paramount ever did.

Even if they dont, theres just so few examples where DTS is that much better than DD, that I dont even worry about it anymore. I dont mean this to be an attack on DTS, because when available, I do choose it, but I dont lose any sleep if a favorite movie of mine doesnt have a DTS track.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Then others like Fox that sell one disc with a DTS track on it.
This is not accurate by a long shot (Big Trouble in Little China, From Hell, Speed 5-Star, Die Hard 2-disc sets, Behind Enemy Lines, Reissues of Courage Under Fire, X-Files, Predator, and several others). MGM may have only one currently available R1 disc with a DTS soundtrack, though (Hannibal).

Regards,

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
It seems really random with studios and DTS. Is there a reason for this?
There are a number of reasons: payment of additional license fees to DTS for including a DTS track, limitations on disc space if a distributor isn't willing to produce a 2-disc SE and the simple fact that many, many films just don't need a DTS track. In my opinion, unless a full bitrate track or a different mix is used for the DTS track, there is marginal improvement in sound at best. Paramount have never supported DTS in any way (the Laserdisc was produced by Pioneer under licence) and don't look like doing so any time soon. Warners have also stated a no-DTS position (after fulfilling a contractual obligation to DTS a few years back by releasing 6 catalogue titles with DTS), although Morgan Creek, who get Warners to distribute their product will shortly release True Romance with DTS. MGM's inclusion of DTS on Hannibal is thought to be at the insistence of Ridley Scott and Universal, who co-produced the movie.

A "Titanic" SE DVD may indeed have a DTS track, but if it does it will probably owe more to James Cameron and/or FOX than Paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks