What's new

PARAMOUNT - Confusion about DON'T LOOK NOW... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
In a thread of another forum - DVD File's if I am not mistaken - there had been a question about releasing Nicolas Roeg's DON'T LOOK NOW and Polanski's THE TENANT, and Martin Blythe stated in an answer post that both films were in the works for 2002. Today, I read in this month's issue of VIDEO WATCHDOG that Paramount had "in a recent interview" been asked again about DON'T LOOK NOW and was told (also by Mr. Blythe) that the title would be not be released in the foreseeable future, or words to that effect. Is there work being done on this title? I'd surely prefer it to a region 2 copy. Surely this title "made the cut" in the recent poll...?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Video Watchdog has to have news in place long before they go to press, so that issue was likely drawn up before the poll concluded.
We must accept that DON'T LOOK NOW will never be a high priority at Paramount, but I'm sure at this point in time they are aware that the demand is larger than they had perhaps anticipated. In a couple years, it will finally surface, I'm sure. Sooner would be nice, but let us be pragmatic.
------------------
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Pragmatism be damned, I really, really want to see this on DVD next year. I've been waiting for over 15 years to see this released widescreen on laser or DVD and I don't know if I will be alive to see this if it IS "not in the foreseeable future".

DeanKap

Auditioning
"Don't Look Now" is without a doubt, one of the best films of the 70s. Why are lesser known films like "Funeral in Berlin" being released before this? I would love to have this amazing film on disc.

GerardC

Agent
Not sure if you have access to a region free/PAL capable setup but Don't Look Now has been released a couple of months ago by Kinowelt in Germany. It's presented in anamorphic widescreen at a ratio of 1.85:1. The image seems to be fine (I found a small discussion somewhere on a German DVD Forum), although the audio is mono and not cleaned up. You can find order details at Amazon Germany here.
There's also the possibility that a new release will be available sometime next year in the UK (the BBFC have restored the picture for theatrical screenings this year-no further news on that).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I own the German edition, but it plays back squeezed on my Apex, with a 1.50:1 ratio instead of the correct 1.85:1. I am still hoping for a Paramount release here.

GerardC

Agent
Squeezed back to 1.50:1? Is that a player fault or a disc problem?
What did you think of the print quality otherwise?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The player is at fault. For whatever reason it cannot properly convert the image to a proper aspect ratio. The Apex is not the goldmine previously thought - many Columbia titles do not play back on it AT ALL. though I also have the region 2 MICROCOSMOS, which is 1.66:1, and it plays back fine. The image on the DON'T LOOK NOW disc is otherwise quite good, better than any previous video release by a long shot. It is also anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks